What's new

Rollerball and Fountain Pen Gift Set

My granddaughter will be graduating soon and I just discovered that she has an appreciation of fine writing instruments. I thought I would get her a nice rollerball and fountain pen set. While I would love to get her a Mount Blanc set, I’m not made of money and will be retiring soon. What brands lie between Cross and Mount Blanc in terms of quality and price?

@TexOkie Shaver

If you are considering Fountain pen, while practicality and aesthetics are considered then I can think of one pen that doesn't go all shiny and looks classy -

The Lamy 2000.

This pen has been here for ages and still holds it's own easily.

With two options @ $200 for Fibreglass and $300 for Stainless Steel , you can decide whichever is viable.

Both options are beautiful, practical and durable and has 14 Carat Gold nib Rhodium coated.

Edit:
I'm sorry, I cannot nane a good pen set as I've been out of touch with this hobby for some time.

@TexOkie Shaver

If you are considering Fountain pen, while practicality and aesthetics are considered then I can think of one pen that doesn't go all shiny and looks classy -

The Lamy 2000.

This pen has been here for ages and still holds it's own easily.

With two options @ $200 for Fibreglass and $300 for Stainless Steel , you can decide whichever is viable.

Both options are beautiful, practical and durable and has 14 Carat Gold nib Rhodium coated.

Edit:
I'm sorry, I cannot nane a good pen set as I've been out of touch with this hobby for some time.
And the 2000 has a matching rollerball, it is wonderful, something about that Macrolon........

My first thought was something from Lamy.

My second thought was a vintage set form either her or your birth year.

Finally something out of India might strike her fancy as it will be hand made, supporting a culture etc.

While I have never done business with Peyton Street Pens, I know they handle Indian pens and often have a ton of New Old Stock (NOS) stuff. They seem to enjoy an excellent reputation.

Let us know what you do and why you do it.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
What’s your budget? Between Cross and Mont Blanc is a pretty wide range.

My daughter is also graduating from high school this year. She is very into Japanese manga and anime and fantasy in general. I’m going to give her a Platinum Modern Maki-e rollerball.

I think she’ll appreciate the Japanese art and symbolism of the Phoenix, which is especially fitting for a commencement I think. The pen itself is lovely. The fountain pen version has a gold nib and costs about $100 more. However, she doesn’t care for fountain pens, so that works out nicely for Dad’s wallet.

Assuming you don’t want to get your granddaughter any old shiny pen that she’s just going to toss in a drawer and forget about, here’s a few other suggestions that might the bill for you.

- have a look at Retro 51. They have a wide range of fountain pens and roller balls in different styles that may align with your granddaughters hobbies or interests.

- if she likes art, Visconti’s range of Van Gogh pens would be a stunning and thoughtful gift. They feature exquisite colorful resin inspired by Van Gogh’s famous paintings like Starry Night, Irises, etc. Those are in the $200 range in either rollerball or fountain pen. For a similar, but less expensive option, look at Visconti’s Rembrandt or Breeze pens.

- here’s a few links for pen recommendations in different price ranges.

What’s your budget? Between Cross and Mont Blanc is a pretty wide range.

My daughter is also graduating from high school this year. She is very into Japanese manga and anime and fantasy in general. I’m going to give her a Platinum Modern Maki-e rollerball.

I think she’ll appreciate the Japanese art and symbolism of the Phoenix, which is especially fitting for a commencement I think. The pen itself is lovely. The fountain pen version has a gold nib and costs about $100 more. However, she doesn’t care for fountain pens, so that works out nicely for Dad’s wallet.

Assuming you don’t want to get your granddaughter any old shiny pen that she’s just going to toss in a drawer and forget about, here’s a few other suggestions that might the bill for you.

- have a look at Retro 51. They have a wide range of fountain pens and roller balls in different styles that may align with your granddaughters hobbies or interests.

- if she likes art, Visconti’s range of Van Gogh pens would be a stunning and thoughtful gift. They feature exquisite colorful resin inspired by Van Gogh’s famous paintings like Starry Night, Irises, etc. Those are in the $200 range in either rollerball or fountain pen. For a similar, but less expensive option, look at Visconti’s Rembrandt or Breeze pens.

- here’s a few links for pen recommendations in different price ranges.
She is into art in a big way. She has applied at the local vocational technical school in applied arts. No news yet on whether she was accepted. She has a portfolio of her art and has even done a few commissioned works. The Visconti pens sound like a great idea.

Given her artistic bent, you might want to look at the offerings of Jet Pens. They have all manner of markers, pencils, paper etc. Much of which is typically only available in the far east. Free shipping for 25.00 and over IIRC.

tankerjohn

She is into art in a big way. She has applied at the local vocational technical school in applied arts. No news yet on whether she was accepted. She has a portfolio of her art and has even done a few commissioned works. The Visconti pens sound like a great idea.
Cool! That's awesome that she is an accomplished artist; I hope she gets into the school. I'm glad my suggestion had some resonance. If you do end up getting a fountain pen, a lot of artists like Platinum Carbon Black ink. Its a pigmented black ink that is very waterproof and easy to paint over the top of.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My wife has a Visconti Rembrandt. She really likes it, it comes in a rollerball as well. A good Visconti without going broke.

Cool! That's awesome that she is an accomplished artist; I hope she gets into the school. I'm glad my suggestion had some resonance. If you do end up getting a fountain pen, a lot of artists like Platinum Carbon Black ink. Its a pigmented black ink that is very waterproof and easy to paint over the top of.
She got the word today that she was accepted. She’s excited. I sent her an Artist care package from Amazon so she could try a couple of new mediums. Calligraphy and pen brushes.

Given her artistic bent, you might want to look at the offerings of Jet Pens. They have all manner of markers, pencils, paper etc. Much of which is typically only available in the far east. Free shipping for 25.00 and over IIRC.
Sigh, now you’ve fed my pen fetishized. They do offer free shipping over $25 and they seem to have every pen ever made.

tankerjohn

Sigh, now you’ve fed my pen fetishized. They do offer free shipping over $25 and they seem to have every pen ever made.
Jet pens has a lot of Japanese products that are hard to find. On the more common items, their prices tend to be a few bucks more than other online shops, I guess to offset the shipping. You’ll want to shop around. Pen Chalet pretty much always has a 10% discount code. If they aren’t doing a sale for (fill in the blank) Day, then click on the microphone-shaped button and type “PENADDICT” and you’ll get the Pen Addict 10% off code. Lemur Ink is another one to check. They do free shipping at $20, but have a very limited selection. Lots of other good online shops - Goulet, Goldspot, Anderson, Pen Boutique, Dromgooles, Vaness, Nibsmith, Appelboom in the EU, Cult Pens in the UK, etc.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Jet pens has a lot of Japanese products that are hard to find. On the more common items, their prices tend to be a few bucks more than other online shops, I guess to offset the shipping. You’ll want to shop around. Pen Chalet pretty much always has a 10% discount code. If they aren’t doing a sale for (fill in the blank) Day, then click on the microphone-shaped button and type “PENADDICT” and you’ll get the Pen Addict 10% off code. Lemur Ink is another one to check. They do free shipping at $20, but have a very limited selection. Lots of other good online shops - Goulet, Goldspot, Anderson, Pen Boutique, Dromgooles, Vaness, Nibsmith, Appelboom in the EU, Cult Pens in the UK, etc.
Great info. Almost should be a stand alone thread to post info and deals
An additional enabling opportunity 😂😀

I ordered a TWSBI 580ALR Prussian Blue medium nib from Anderson Pen along with Noodlers Black Eel ink and a TWSBI Brushed Aluminum ink bottle. This is for me. My granddaughter doesn’t graduate for a couple of years yet.

I ordered a TWSBI 580ALR Prussian Blue medium nib from Anderson Pen along with Noodlers Black Eel ink and a TWSBI Brushed Aluminum ink bottle. This is for me. My granddaughter doesn’t graduate for a couple of years yet.

I have one of these TWSBIs. It is a good pen and the one I use the most. Mine is an extra fine nib and writes smoothly and the ink flows nicely from it. I'm sure you will enjoy yours!

Top Bottom