PS5 or Xbox Series X

• PS5

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Both

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
I don't think they're being sold in physical stores yet. However, I was at a Walmart the other day and in the empty glass case where consoles would be kept there was a sign that said "Sorry, but we are limiting one PS5 system per family". Did this mean there were some in there previously, or did they just get the sign ready for whenever they do have them in the case for sale?

After trying dozens of times online and PS5 drops being sold out in mere seconds, my wife somehow got through all the bots and was able to actually purchase one for me. It was mid December but it didn't ship until January 12. I have the disc version but only have a few PS5 games that were available for free download; other than that I've just been playing PS4 games from an external HDD on it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was at my local Walmart Monday and the electronics mgr said they were not getting any in store anymore. I wish I could recall what rep he talked to but it was Sony or Microsoft - I wanna say it was Sony. He was telling me how they had 12 and gave out 12 tickets to the first in line and the 13th guy got so upset they had to call the cops to remove him from the store. He said the rep informed him they were only doing online sales now.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was finally able to get the PS5. Delivered Sunday. Set up and playing a bit since yesterday. It came with 3 games - Hitman 3, Marvels Avengers, and SpiderMan Miles Morales. I played Hitman and Spider-Man. I’m pretty meh with them. I’ve never been in to the Marvel stuff and the Hitman stuff is meh too. Hitman feels like a puzzle solving game with some killing involved when you solve the puzzle. I don’t see myself finishing that. The spiderman....yeah, Marvel...meh.

I downloaded God of War and so far I like that. I been watching videos and reading about Demon’s Souls and I‘m on the fence. Everyone says it’s the best PS5 game - they also say it’s the hardest PS5 game. I have MLB The Show pre-ordered. Haven’t played that since the PS2 !!

While I was at it I found the Xbox Series S and picked that up to replace my Xbox One. Don’t have much to say about that except I like the smaller footprint. Otherwise it feels like the same console as the Xbox One. I’m still looking for the Xbox Series X.

Between the xbox and ps5 - PS5 is the winner IMO. But I really do enjoy playing Red Dead Redemption and since I have that on the Xbox I’ll keep them both.

Ya’ll got any other games You like so far on the PS5? Any upcoming games worth checking out?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I won't feel the itch to get one of the next gens until Rockstar announces GTA 6.

2023 is the latest rumor. I still gotta beat GTA 5 !
Supposedly there is a remastered Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out for the next gen consoles.

When GTA 6 does drop I'll be getting it on the PS5. Just because of the better controller

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My boy wanted a PS5 for Christmas, as his PS4 was not working, and he wanted the upgrade. The PS5 "set" at Costco was (a) $800 and (b) constantly sold out. Getting his PS4 fixed (hard drive replacement) was $140.

Update ... the PS4 is still going strong. The PS5 is still sold out at Costco. Are they starting to show up other places now, or still a mug's game for scalpers?

I had a PS3 and a PS4 that I used primarily for playing BluRay discs. However, I stream everything these days. I got rid of almost all my DVDs and BluRays. I never did come to grips (pun intended) with the Playstation controllers for gaming. I always preferred the design of the Xbox controller. However, I never had an Xbox and have no desire to get one.

I use an Xbox 360 controller with a powerful gaming PC (Intel i9 10900K CPU, an Nviidia RTX 3080 GPU and NVME SSD). It does cost significantly more than a PS5, but it handles 4K graphics easily, even with graphics intensive games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption II, Death Stranding and AC Valhalla. The interesting thing is that the RTX 3080 GPU is so fast that games tend to be CPU limited rather than GPU limited, even though the i9 10900K CPU is one of the fastest consumer loevel chips available.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Update ... the PS4 is still going strong. The PS5 is still sold out at Costco. Are they starting to show up other places now, or still a mug's game for scalpers?

Every retailer that sells them have stock just about once a week it seems. It's sold out within seconds though. That's not an exaggeration. I followed 2 trackers via Twitter that would send notifications whenever someone had the systems in stock. Then immediately go to the website and try to add to cart and be out of luck. Like I said - with seconds they are gone. Basically just have to be lucky. I did this for about 2-3 weeks before I was able to get one.

Costco had them in just a couple days ago. I'm sure they will get more. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. I wouldn't even bother trying the stores. Your best best is online.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I like to play Tommy Lasorda Baseball on Sega Genesis. Bought the game and console in 1989 and I've never looked back.

I've never looked forward either, obviously.

Despite never owning an Xbox, I just got the Series S. I looked at Game Pass Ultimate and saw a lot of games I’d like to play. There’s plenty there to keep me entertained for a while.

I’ve been trying to get a PS5 since November, and despite following tracking websites and Twitter trackers, I’ve never gotten one. I’ve had them in the virtual shopping cart, but they’re gone when I go check to out. I’m not a fan of $70 games, so I’ll wait at least a year or two now so that PS exclusives I want are down to $20 or $30.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Despite never owning an Xbox, I just got the Series S. I looked at Game Pass Ultimate and saw a lot of games I’d like to play. There’s plenty there to keep me entertained for a while.

I’ve been trying to get a PS5 since November, and despite following tracking websites and Twitter trackers, I’ve never gotten one. I’ve had them in the virtual shopping cart, but they’re gone when I go check to out. I’m not a fan of $70 games, so I’ll wait at least a year or two now so that PS exclusives I want are down to $20 or $30.

You get a bunch of great games with PlayStation Plus. Which is required to play online multiplayer anyway. They also have the PlayStation Now that has even a bigger collection of games. I have not checked that out yet though.

I tried for about 3 weeks to get the PS5. I happened to be streaming when I got the alert from twitter that Game Stop had bundles in stock. So I moved quick and got the PS5 bundle with 3 games, an extra controller, and a $20 gift card to Game Stop. I think what helped was the price of the bundle. Probably a lot less people interested in it. But hey, it got me what I wanted.

You get a bunch of great games with PlayStation Plus. Which is required to play online multiplayer anyway. They also have the PlayStation Now that has even a bigger collection of games. I have not checked that out yet though.

I tried for about 3 weeks to get the PS5. I happened to be streaming when I got the alert from twitter that Game Stop had bundles in stock. So I moved quick and got the PS5 bundle with 3 games, an extra controller, and a $20 gift card to Game Stop. I think what helped was the price of the bundle. Probably a lot less people interested in it. But hey, it got me what I wanted.
PS+ was fairly generic most of last year, but this month included FFVII Remake, which I’ve been enjoying. But I think new PS5 owners get a bunch of legacy games that a pretty solid. I’ve never tried PS Now, either.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I happened to be streaming when I got the alert from twitter that Game Stop had bundles in stock. So I moved quick and got the PS5 bundle with 3 games, an extra controller, and a $20 gift card to Game Stop. I think what helped was the price of the bundle. Probably a lot less people interested in it. But hey, it got me what I wanted.
If they keep giving great service like that, Gamestop will no doubt see the value of their stock increase. A good time to buy some, methinks.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If they keep giving great service like that, Gamestop will no doubt see the value of their stock increase. A good time to buy some, methinks.

I was there today spending my 20 gift card. After a conversation about me not wanting to go walmart for bubble wrap the lady gave me some.

Every retailer that sells them have stock just about once a week it seems. It's sold out within seconds though. That's not an exaggeration. I followed 2 trackers via Twitter that would send notifications whenever someone had the systems in stock. Then immediately go to the website and try to add to cart and be out of luck. Like I said - with seconds they are gone. Basically just have to be lucky. I did this for about 2-3 weeks before I was able to get one.

Costco had them in just a couple days ago. I'm sure they will get more. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. I wouldn't even bother trying the stores. Your best best is online.

You never know about Costco. I purchased my recent gaming PC from Costco. I spotted the PC on an email they sent out. I placed my order. Then I saw a posting on a gaming forum in which someone was asking whether he should purchase the gaming PC. I told them that while they are arguing over the value of such a purchase that others (including me) had entered their orders and the computers were sold out within a few minutes, in spite their price. The video cards have been impossible to obtain. The cards that have been available have been selling for over $1000, twice the cost of a PS5.

Top Bottom