What's new

Your Best Technique For Applying Creams?

I'm sure similar threads have been posted before but I don't see one on a recent search so...

I love the performance of creams but the application always seems awkward to me. What I initially used to do was dip a fingerful out of the tub, wipe it onto the wet brush and whip it up in the bowl. Works well but then there's some on my finger. Then I tried just dabbing the wet brush into the tub, and then lathering in the bowl but felt I might be using more than I needed to? Finally I tried face lathering by applying a bit onto my face with my fingers first then lathering on my face and it was hard to perfect the amount needed.

None of these techniques seem as "right", or direct, as lathering a hard soap in the tub or shave bowl. I'm not saying I'm going to stop using creams (cause none of this is really a big deal) but is there any other way you guys can suggest to apply creams that makes them as PRACTICAL to use as a hard soap?

Scoop a bit into the bowl and get lather. You can’t beat the convenience of creams.

E2AE2D0D-5E3C-44FC-9E93-AFC7CC8DCCEE.jpeg

One of the advantages of creams is that you can easily use a consistent, measured amount. There might be some trial-and-error the first few times to figure out how much is needed.

For bowl lathering, put a ribbon of cream in the center of the bowl, spread it over the bottom of the bowl with a damp finger, lather with damp brush, add water as needed.

For face lathering, massage half the measured amount into the damp brush. Take the other half, and apply it to the wet face. I like to apply a random pattern of dots. Lather with the brush on the face, add water as needed.

Easy-peasy.

BUT there is a lot of difference in the amount of cream you must use to get a decent lather......some brands you need more, some less. There is no science but there is a leant art for getting your best lather (and depends on water quality, quantity and brush used). So it is NOT the same for everyone........ Experiment and develop your best way of getting what you want/need.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Here's my four step approach to using cream.

1) Scoop water out of the sink with the lather bowl, and dump it straight out again. The amount of water that clings to the bowl, and pools in the bottom, is about perfect to get things started.

2) Add 0.5ml to 1ml of cream to the bowl, depending on how much of that specific product I need for a good lather. I do that by eye. Aa a guide, a 1cm (3/8") cube is 1ml.

3) If using a synthetic brush, I start with it bone dry. If natural hair, I get rid of excess water first. Load brush in the bowl, just long enough to get all bristles covered, and start the product incorporating with the water. I don't "build" lather in the bowl, as that seems to impair slickness as it bulks up.

4) Face lather, just the same as if I'd loaded from a soap. Add water gradually as needed.

I'm sure similar threads have been posted before but I don't see one on a recent search so...

I love the performance of creams but the application always seems awkward to me. What I initially used to do was dip a fingerful out of the tub, wipe it onto the wet brush and whip it up in the bowl. Works well but then there's some on my finger. Then I tried just dabbing the wet brush into the tub, and then lathering in the bowl but felt I might be using more than I needed to? Finally I tried face lathering by applying a bit onto my face with my fingers first then lathering on my face and it was hard to perfect the amount needed.

None of these techniques seem as "right", or direct, as lathering a hard soap in the tub or shave bowl. I'm not saying I'm going to stop using creams (cause none of this is really a big deal) but is there any other way you guys can suggest to apply creams that makes them as PRACTICAL to use as a hard soap?
I always put a dab or 2 of cream on my face, kind of worked it into my skin a bit and then built the lather with the brush. I always found when I put the cream directly into the brush, the brush would kind of eat most of the cream and if I tried to load directly from the tub of cream, it would make a mess.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have an old silver butter serving knife that I use to put a dollop of cream in the bottom of the bowl, but almost anything would work. When traveling I used a wooden stirrer from a coffee shop. Small plastic spoon from an ice cream shop, etc.

I have not used cream in a tub, only in a tube. I squeeze about an inch onto my finger, and go from ear to ear on my jawline, spreading it as evenly as I can. Dip the tips of a brush, to get the cream damp and easily spreadable over my face. Then I dip the tips again and start working up a lather. Usually after about 8 to 10 dips in water I'm good to go.

There is no real answer. Every cream needs different quantity to lather properly for 3 pass shave and the amount also depends on how hard the water is. Someone with very soft water can work miracles with any cream in very small quantities. As you can see, there are people who find 0.5ml enough. With my water, with 0.5 ml, you probably get 1 pass. 2.5ml is more like it for 3 pass in face lathering. Bowl lathering also allows lesser quantity of soap to be used, because you don't waste anything and it is easier to repeat every time with the same quantity scooped.

I love how everyone does it differently. For most tube creams, I squeeze an almond sized amount into the middle of my brush and face lather. For tub creams, I just stick the brush in and twist once. That usually picks up enough cream to face lather. I bowl lathered for many years but now I mostly prefer face lathering. Most everybody goes through trial and error with various products and techniques to find what works best for them.

Reactions: bjm
The main methods are:

1. A small amount of cream into the bowl, bowl lather.
2. Spread a small amont all over your face (similar to how you would use a shave stick), face lather.
3. Put a small amount on a damp brush, face lather
4. Put a small abount on a damp brush, palm lather to get it going, then face lather.
5. Tub creams: pick up enough cream by swirling the brush for only couple of seconds; bowl lather or face lather afterwards.

My favorite methods are 4. and 5.

I get a sizable snurdle of cream and spread it over my whole face, and then face-lather like you would with a shave stick. Sure, that leaves some on my fingers, but I've got so much soap & cream at this point that the problem isn't conserving product, it's using things like creams and croaps before they dry out (that can happen after a few years). I mean, people on this forum have dedicated threads to going out of their way to actually finish a tub of soap or cream...unless you're the sort of shaver who uses only one product until you've used it up, being miserly with cream doesn't even seem like it'd save money.

The exception to this is Castle Forbes and Saponificio Bignoli creams...I load those from the tub, but then again those are so thick they're on the verge of being a croap.

Top Bottom