What's new

Motorcycles

Well, after years of talking about it, I decided now was the time to do something about it. Again. When I moved to KS I was pretty excited about the long riding season, so the first thing I did was sign up to get licensed. Everything was fine until my instructor (just before the test I might add) told me to try taking the corner faster. I gladly obliged, the did something stupid and high sided the bike. I couldn’t take the test, my right hand no longer worked. That was 13 years ago lol!

I‘m taking the class again April 8 to 11. I’m pretty excited! Moreover, I already bought a starter bike.

E7E4CCC4-E272-4BEA-876F-A7312DD72C19.jpeg

It’s a Kawasaki Z400. It’ll do everything I need it to do until I’m ready to buy my “forever“ bike I figure. Should be fun too! Especially commuting to and from work.

I’m buying gear too - man I forgot how expensive it is to get into a new hobby. Helmet, Jacket, gloves. I got an airbag too! Why not? It’s just a vest I wear under my jacket! Pretty painless!

F519A266-A7CC-462E-9232-69976154A05C.jpeg

Any of you just getting started? Any old vets?

This will be 17 years on a bike for myself. Excellent starter bike as well. My first was a 1993 ninja 500 that was a hoot to ride. Currently have a 2000 yamaha R6 for special rides and the “daily” is a 2008 CBR1000RR modded fairly heavy. Only pic I have right now, pardon the garage clutter. I work on motorcycles and quads on the side.
297A676D-E0B9-4532-B865-B70C40DC76AB.jpeg

I had a Yamaha XJ750 for several years. It was a fun bike to ride locally, but not great for more than an hour or so. The seat wasn't all that comfortable. I upgraded to a Vulcan Nomad 1600, which was fantastic until some idiot ran me into the median of the highway. It made my riding less confident and less enjoyable, so I sold the bike. Might get another one some day, but not anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had a Yamaha XJ750 for several years. It was a fun bike to ride locally, but not great for more than an hour or so. The seat wasn't all that comfortable. I upgraded to a Vulcan Nomad 1600, which was fantastic until some idiot ran me into the median of the highway. It made my riding less confident and less enjoyable, so I sold the bike. Might get another one some day, but not anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That would freak anyone out.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I drove cars until 24yo then switched to motorcycles and they have been my only mode of road transport ever since. In order, my motorcycles have been:
Honda CT 90​
Kawasaki Z200​
Honda RS 250​
Yamaha TW 200​
Honda CB 400​
BMW K100​
BMW K100RT (in Singapore)​
Suzuki DL650 (Vstrom)​
Yamaha YBR 125G (current in Philippines)​
The most enjoyable motorcycle to ride out of the above was the Vstrom, the best for touring outback Australia. The K100RT was also good for riding through the SE Asian mainland while my current YBR 125G is ideal for Philippines roads and traffic.​
I have only been hospitalised four time due to coming off my motorcycles.​

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Damn! Living in America, I doubt highly I could afford the second time. Or if I could even afford a bike after the first!
My last hospitalization was in 2008 after hitting a dog while touring Mindanao Island, Philippines on a borrowed bike in 2008. It is actually cheaper to stay in a hospital in the Philippines than in a 4-star hotel. In 2008, Makati Med Hospital, Manila, was charging PHP 2,800 per day (private room with en suite and meals) and my normal hotel in Manila was PHP 3,100 per night (without meals).

I’ve owned a Kawasaki Vulcan, Honda Shadow, Honda CTX and currently ride a Can Am Ryker. I know some people don’t view those of us on 3 wheels as riding real bikes. And honestly when I drove it home from the dealer I was thinking “what have I done?!” But it’s the funniest toy I’ve owned.

Good luck on the test, have fun, and be safe out there!

I’m

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not quite a true motorcycle, but this is what I ride to get around the subdivision in which I live and take me to the local shops.

With my fat arse on it, the 36V scooter travels 35km on one charge, top speed of 45kph and will climb a 30deg incline. Cost USD 335 including deliver from Manila.
E-scooter.jpg
Good fun.​

I am planning to buy a modern retro for my 49th birthday!

A Royal Enfield v-twin 650 cc. Royal Enfield is the oldest existing motorcycle manufacturer in continuous production in the world!

I hope to discover and live out some elements from the classic book - Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance by Robert Pirsig, on of those leisure rides through abandoned old country side roads.
wp4227273-royal-enfield-interceptor-650-wallpapers.jpg

wp4227267-royal-enfield-interceptor-650-wallpapers.jpg

Royal Enfield Interceptor_016.jpg

Royal Enfield Interceptor_022.jpg

Not my ride ....

Last edited:
I hope to discover and live out some elements from the classic book - Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance by Robert Pirsig, on of those leisure rides through abandoned old country side roads.
I’ve tried to read that book multiple times. I could just never get through it.

Legion

Staff member
Damn! Living in America, I doubt highly I could afford the second time. Or if I could even afford a bike after the first!
I started paying for private health insurance and ambulance cover in about the same week as I bought my motorbike.

I rode it for several years in my twenties, then, moving around from one state to another, it got put into storage for a decade and a half. Recently I bought a house with plenty of storage space, so it has a new home, even though it is not registered or running. I might make it a retirement project, who knows?
IMG_3831.jpeg

Top Bottom