What's new

Ammunition "Shortage"? Not quite...

Casual review of the usual sources for online retail purchases of ammunition suggests to me that there is not a "shortage"...at least not one of a severe nature. What I DO see are examples of extreme price increases. Makes me wonder how some of these people sleep at night...........
😳
Normally I would pick up a few boxes of 7.62x39 and give the Mini-30 a workout. I just cannot bring myself to pander to these usurious pricing schemes.
Bought a few Mag Pul 10 round AR magazines (about $15.00 each) from another vendor instead. Thinking they may be worth their weight in gold sometime soon.

Last edited:
The only way they can charge those amounts is supply & demand. From where I sit, there is a supply problem. Most of the suppliers are out of stock on the most popular calibers. The small boxes of 50 may be available, but the larger amounts are not.

I have been trying to find .45-70 ammo and stumbled across gun broker. There is no shortage of ammo there. Be prepared to pay through the nose if you want something.

I think part of what's happening is people are buying up ammo and listing it on gun broker or armslist for a profit. I would wager some of these people arent even shooters and are just looking to make a quick buck

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have been trying to find .45-70 ammo and stumbled across gun broker. There is no shortage of ammo there. Be prepared to pay through the nose if you want something.

I think part of what's happening is people are buying up ammo and listing it on gun broker or armslist for a profit. I would wager some of these people arent even shooters and are just looking to make a quick buck

Gun shows reflect the same thing. Tables loaded with ammo at ridiculous prices.

The behavior is popularly known as "neckbearding" the people who engage in it, "neckbeards".

I officiate HS wrestling and football. I have 2 friends who have been trying to get me to become a track starter so this year I decided to become one. I purchased a pistol that uses the 209 Primers as blanks and ordered 400 when I ordered the pistol. The pistol arrives with no shells when I contacted the company they had not charged me for the shells and that they had not had any since January. So started the mad scramble to try and find 209 primers. No luck whatsoever when I called EVERY sporting goods, gun shop, and any other place that had ammo/reloading supplies in a 100 mile radius. Had an epiphany and looked on Gunbroker.com had multiple choices but would pay over double the price and shipping. Took a stab at one seller who had a Make An Offer and explained that I was needing the shells to start track meets. We were able to work a deal but still paid more than market value. Have enough to make it through the season but checked just in case a month later and the prices have doubled since I looked a month ago. Hopefully this insanity will end sooner rather than later.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I officiate HS wrestling and football. I have 2 friends who have been trying to get me to become a track starter so this year I decided to become one. I purchased a pistol that uses the 209 Primers as blanks and ordered 400 when I ordered the pistol. The pistol arrives with no shells when I contacted the company they had not charged me for the shells and that they had not had any since January. So started the mad scramble to try and find 209 primers. No luck whatsoever when I called EVERY sporting goods, gun shop, and any other place that had ammo/reloading supplies in a 100 mile radius. Had an epiphany and looked on Gunbroker.com had multiple choices but would pay over double the price and shipping. Took a stab at one seller who had a Make An Offer and explained that I was needing the shells to start track meets. We were able to work a deal but still paid more than market value. Have enough to make it through the season but checked just in case a month later and the prices have doubled since I looked a month ago. Hopefully this insanity will end sooner rather than later.

I actually got a couple packages of 209s at Walmart not long ago. They stock them for inline muzzle loaders, and dump them half price in the spring when deer season ends.

AA

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Was in Fleet Farm the other day. The ammo shelves were completely bare save for about 5 boxes on a 5 tier 30 foot long span.

54F4528B-EE61-4379-9C04-66F54EA08494.jpeg
39BD3461-B8DB-4270-AF89-708775233202.jpeg
6427018C-3FAE-4CE9-B157-B02AB28DF6AB.jpeg
B0BDA61A-FE1D-433F-9839-F218A9E1E3D5.jpeg

Smokey Mountain Knife Works....need ammunition? May want to stop in here.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game

Way over priced (I think?) but Ammuntionstore has Wolf 209s for $789.99/5000.

EDIT: Compared to Gunbroker that appears to be a steal. 🤷‍♂️

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Way over priced (I think?) but Ammuntionstore has Wolf 209s for $789.99/5000.

EDIT: Compared to Gunbroker that appears to be a steal. 🤷‍♂️

What a horror show! Almost nobody wanted 209s; few reload shotshells (I do 🤔) and inline muzzle loaders use'em... During deer season. A few.

AA

I have a bunch of trays of 209 primers for muzzle loading. Didn’t know I was independently wealthy! Maybe steak instead of yard bird for dinner tonight.....

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a bunch of trays of 209 primers for muzzle loading. Didn’t know I was independently wealthy! Maybe steak instead of yard bird for dinner tonight.....

I sold all my gold and bought 209 primers, y'all should do the same. :lol:

Top Bottom