What's new

What Zenith boar brush to buy?

I recently grabbed the aluminum handled B03-A26 with B2 and it’s great! As mentioned above, it’s soft right out of the box. It’s still a little stiff but feels like a very different boar brush than the last Zenith I owned (B23), which while having a similar loft felt much stiffer out of the box and not as soft. It did, though, have a shorted effective loft given the larger glue bump.

That said, the big aluminum handle feels great in hand, very comfortable, solid, and I’m really looking forward to future shaves with this brush as it breaks in.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I recently grabbed the aluminum handled B03-A26 with B2 and it’s great! As mentioned above, it’s soft right out of the box. It’s still a little stiff but feels like a very different boar brush than the last Zenith I owned (B23), which while having a similar loft felt much stiffer out of the box and not as soft. It did, though, have a shorted effective loft given the larger glue bump.

That said, the big aluminum handle feels great in hand, very comfortable, solid, and I’m really looking forward to future shaves with this brush as it breaks in.

It's a good one.

Metal.Zenith.Boars.9-27-18.640.JPG

There are a good many very nice similar Zenith boars.

They (the bleached boars) start off great, but they do break in some over time.

First shave with my 506U SE. It's a well made brush for sure. There were some split tips when it came out the box and no boar smell when wet. I gave it a few wet/dry cycles and hand lathers then used it. Interestingly it feels pretty soft even when dry which is unusual for boars. Not soft, soft, but soft for a boar and soft compared to a Semogue when dry. Tips are already comfortably soft and can only get better. It's a dense brush.

Despite the 27mm knot it doesn't feel huge on the face, as unlike a Semogue it doesn't bloom. I'm liking it a lot so far and time will tell if it is comparable with my Semogues. For me it comes down to face feel. Sometimes boars can feel uncomfortable on my skin even if the tips are soft. The handle is very nicely done. I have small hands and I like it but guys with strangler hands might prefer the 507U SE or 507N SE, which have a longer handle.

1598481594999.png

First shave with my 506U SE. It's a well made brush for sure. There were some split tips when it came out the box and no boar smell when wet. I gave it a few wet/dry cycles and hand lathers then used it. Interestingly it feels pretty soft even when dry which is unusual for boars. Not soft, soft, but soft for a boar and soft compared to a Semogue when dry. Tips are already comfortably soft and can only get better. It's a dense brush.

Despite the 27mm knot it doesn't feel huge on the face, as unlike a Semogue it doesn't bloom. I'm liking it a lot so far and time will tell if it is comparable with my Semogues. For me it comes down to face feel. Sometimes boars can feel uncomfortable on my skin even if the tips are soft. The handle is very nicely done. I have small hands and I like it but guys with strangler hands might prefer the 507U SE or 507N SE, which have a longer handle.

View attachment 1145792
The wood looks better in person than in photos right?

I would expect the knot to open up a little with continued use, but not as wide open as semogues become once broken in.

You’re right, because I agree, that despite having a larger diameter knot, these zeniths don’t feel too large on your face.

Enjoy!

I would expect the knot to open up a little with continued use, but not as wide open as semogues become once broken in.

You’re right, because I agree, that despite having a larger diameter knot, these zeniths don’t feel too large on your face.

Enjoy!
IMG_20200826_183230801.jpg

Bought January 2019. Used at least once a week. Keeps it shape fairly well. I actually prefer boar knots this size for face lathering

Enjoy!

Yeah the wood looks great.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have the short and tall versions of these handles in various materials. I like both sizes, but like the tall version better. That said, I have another short version wooden unbleached in transit so I like the short wooden handle just fine. My hands are medium large.

What do you think of the performance of SOC? Is it suitable for face lathering?Is SOC soft enough? :laugh:
This is a bit late to the game but maybe it will be help for somebody else. I have had an SOC Boar for six years and I only face lather. It is excellent in every single way that I value. I have many Semogues (SOC, 610, 620, LE, 1800) Omegas (49, B&B 10th Anniversary) and one Zenith (B07) with a Zenith B30 inbound. My SOC Boar is in the top tier of my boars. Highly recommended.

This is a bit late to the game but maybe it will be help for somebody else. I have had an SOC Boar for six years and I only face lather. It is excellent in every single way that I value. I have many Semogues (SOC, 610, 620, LE, 1800) Omegas (49, B&B 10th Anniversary) and one Zenith (B07) with a Zenith B30 inbound. My SOC Boar is in the top tier of my boars. Highly recommended.
I already have a SoC. It's great :laugh:

Top Bottom