What's new

Tabac lid. What happened?

Hello and thank you all for your replies. Update on the crazy lid story:

I contacted Tabac yesterday, and they responded today indicating they thought the problem may have been caused by not letting the soap dry prior to replacing the lid. However, the inside of the lid looks fine (aside from the crack), and why would you expect your customer to dry out soap before replacing the lid?! My guess is the lid is defective. I’ll find out soon enough as the rep was kind enough to send me a replacement lid (great customer service!). Thank you @bjm for your kind offer! I’ll keep it in mind if I find myself in need of another.

And if it's of interest, the jar (or lid) has not been subject to excessive temperature or humidity variations that would not have otherwise been found in a normal washroom, nor has it been dropped or subject to excessive pressure. Even the best manufacturing processes occasionally produces defects!

I was going to suggest just improvising a lid from some other container around the house. But if you got the company to send you a new lid, aren't you special?

:laugh:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
@Doug135, I found a Tabac Razor Stand design for 3D printing.
View attachment 1239922 View attachment 1239923
As you can see, it includes a razor and brush stand along with the Tabac lid. I plan to modify the design to only print the lid. I'll let you know how it goes. If you have a 3D printer (or know someone who does), I can email you a copy of the updated file. If you're interested, I can send you a copy of the finished product.

Edit: you could also email the original designer and ask them to make the modifications for you.
Genius!

Great customer service, if they're mailing out a lid, that who knows is how old.

Sort of surprised it actually cracked, assuming nothing heavy way put atop or dropped on it. I'd expect wood to perhaps split like that, but not plastic resin, with or without wood particles in it. - I've 3D Printed a couple of razor handles using wood encapsulated PLA, which have been dropped repeatedly, and not a one suffered so much as a bad dent, let along crack. (And my 3D Printer is a cheapo model from Amazon, which isn't the smoothest printing).

I'm only on my 3rd(?) puck, in my Tabac bowl, and no problems thus far.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Great customer service, if they're mailing out a lid, that who knows is how old.

Sort of surprised it actually cracked, assuming nothing heavy way put atop or dropped on it. I'd expect wood to perhaps split like that, but not plastic resin, with or without wood particles in it. - I've 3D Printed a couple of razor handles using wood encapsulated PLA, which have been dropped repeatedly, and not a one suffered so much as a bad dent, let along crack. (And my 3D Printer is a cheapo model from Amazon, which isn't the smoothest printing).

I'm only on my 3rd(?) puck, in my Tabac bowl, and no problems thus far.
I've learned a LOT from this thread! Most amazing thing to me is the idea of WOOD in plastic for home printing.

On a related note: I think I've said this somewhere on here, but a few years back my son was in a hurry getting the garbage out, and he ripped the lid off of a "Hefty" step on garbage can. It broke where it connects to the bar in the back. All plastic, well made. The War Department was not happy, as she had literally just bought the thing! It was the first bag of garbage to come out of the thing! Being the peace maker of the family, I said I'd take care of it. Being the procrastinator of the family, this took MONTHS, lol.

War Department said fix it, buy a new one, or YOU are going out with the trash this week, bucko!

So I went online, looked up the model number, and got an email for the Hefty company. I emailed them, asked if I could buy a new top for this perfectly fine bottom of a trash can. Explained that my son was probably mad about taking out the trash and it was all his fault, and I'd take it out of his allowance.

A few hours later, I get an email, asking for my home address! Then about 3 days later (the return address was literally right next to the headquarters of my old company I worked for. WE SHARED A PARKING LOT AND DRIVEWAY!) Small world!

Moral of the story: "You have not because you ask not."

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I've learned a LOT from this thread! Most amazing thing to me is the idea of WOOD in plastic for home printing.

On a related note: I think I've said this somewhere on here, but a few years back my son was in a hurry getting the garbage out, and he ripped the lid off of a "Hefty" step on garbage can. It broke where it connects to the bar in the back. All plastic, well made. The War Department was not happy, as she had literally just bought the thing! It was the first bag of garbage to come out of the thing! Being the peace maker of the family, I said I'd take care of it. Being the procrastinator of the family, this took MONTHS, lol.

War Department said fix it, buy a new one, or YOU are going out with the trash this week, bucko!

So I went online, looked up the model number, and got an email for the Hefty company. I emailed them, asked if I could buy a new top for this perfectly fine bottom of a trash can. Explained that my son was probably mad about taking out the trash and it was all his fault, and I'd take it out of his allowance.

A few hours later, I get an email, asking for my home address! Then about 3 days later (the return address was literally right next to the headquarters of my old company I worked for. WE SHARED A PARKING LOT AND DRIVEWAY!) Small world!

Moral of the story: "You have not because you ask not."
I still remember the galvanized steel trash cans we had to lug out to the curb for the garbage men to collect. Back then they had to physically lift each can to dump in the back of the truck.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Just to be clear, the "genius" here is the original designer; I just found it online because I knew where to look and was able to make the modifications to meet my needs.
Okay, how's "very clever"? 😁

• Haha
Reactions: bjm
I believe this is the original ceramic jar lid, this one from the '60s:

vintage-1960s-tabac-shaving-soap_360_f759a54fa7a7278b41cfd18d0c78a696.jpg

This is one of mine, and it could be a couple of decades old, but it actually looks exactly like my other jars of Tabac, and I have no idea when they made the swap from the original to the red "bakelite" version. I do know that mine received no special treatment or attention, and have been stored under various sinks, in various closets and garages, and in various temperatures, sometimes for years, I'm sure with the soap frequently wet (Tabac is the one container I never worried about, because it's about as airtight as Swiss cheese). No cracks, breaks, holes or even defects ever noted in any of them.

20210322_213740.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I contacted Tabac yesterday, and they responded today indicating they thought the problem may have been caused by not letting the soap dry prior to replacing the lid.
Are we saying that Maurer & Wirtz advise that the lid should not be replaced before the soap is dry otherwise the lid could crack? If so then I am very surprised.

I'm also a little surprised by the answer from the manufacturer....
You've reminded me how much I like Tabac as well. I'll have to go and see if I have any upstairs before I forget.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

Top Bottom