Post-shave
- Omega Alum Stick
- Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Splash
- Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Balm

3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG)
+ DFS
+ No cuts, weepers, irritation, redness or bumps / ingrowns
+ Minimal feedback with alum
+ Didn’t cut like a hot knife through butter but took down 7 days growth without any irritation or weepers
- Tugging, especially on chin, goatee and lip
- Not sure if the Kai blade is dulling or if it’s because I shaved off 7 days growth. Took more buffing, tugged more then previous shaves and more blade feel then I’ve felt with a Kai. Should still have at least 1 good shave left with it, hopefully more

proxy.php

Twenty-sixth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 26mm Two-Band Badger
Soap: Tabac

As many of you know, if you want a geyser of rich, slick, protective lather, then all you need is a few swirls of Tabac. Possibly the easiest-lathering soap on the market. The scent (basically a classic fougère) can be polarizing, but nobody can dispute the performance. Combined with the luxurious feel of the Yaqi Moka Express Two-Band, your face is in for quite a treat!

Meanwhile, the FOCS/Kai combination just keeps plugging along. The lovely lather from the Moka Express/Tabac pairing perfectly complemented another smooth performance by this razor/blade duo. My usual three passes were quick and comfortable. The ATG pass felt particularly effortless. Once again, there was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB was required.

20210317_095838-01-01.jpeg

SOTD (076/2021)
17-03-2021

>> The mysterious KAI blades <<

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Yaqi Mokka Express 26mm 2-band badger
Soap: Le Père Lucien ~ Barbershop
Razor: Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 Open Comb
Blade: KAI (2)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Le Père Lucien ~ Barbershop AS.

Blade #2, shave #2.

Got a great shave today with the Gamechanger .84 OC with just a tad of blade feel, noticeably less than with the R89 on Thuesday. BBS in three smooth passes.

Kai 4 #9 or

This time just half a face....I thought I was done w this blade but it was looking at me on the tile.
RR OC 0.84
T2 brush
MDC
Alum
Speick Sport AS
Might use some retinol cream later

3 pass shave, more blade feel than others, close smooth shave....,
The other half was FOCS Personna USA #3, smooth but if I ride the bar it doesn't really cut...more so AGT so I have to ride the cap.

The Kai side was way better shave, closer.

Twenty-seventh shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

My Omega 10005 is a thirsty brush that hogs up lather, so it requires a heavy load of soap. After approximately 50 swirls on the puck of RR Black Label, I began to face-lather. The lather wasn't particularly cushiony, but it was very rich and slick; similar to consistency of Greek yogurt (i.e. somewhat dense with stiff peaks). There was just enough lather for three passes; the last bit had to be squeezed out of the knot. So much work, but the Omega has sentimental value, so I keep it in my rotation.

Meanwhile, the FOCS/Kai pairing was excellent, once again. My usual three passes were smooth and comfortable with no post-shave irritation.

I had not expected this blade to last for twenty-seven uses considering that the previous Kai had lasted only nine uses. On top of that, this blade has been utterly consistent and predictable over those uses. The performance has not declined much (or at all), so it's hard to say how long it could keep going. One thing that I can say is that this allays the concerns about longevity that I had early on.

20210318_124813-01-01-01.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Tech (full nickel)

Blade #2, shave #3

A plesant shave which proofed one more time one doesn't need an agressive razor to achieve a close shave result. 3 passes resulted in BBS on the face and dfs on the neck - felt no need to proceed with touch ups. The blade feel gave no reason to bother. Minimal sting feedback from the aftershave. Nice!

Onward!

Blade 1 Shave 13 and 14

Pre Shave: Hot shower and Stirling Shampoo Bar
Razor: WCS Toothsome head
Blade: Kai (14)
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Empress Rising
AS Balm: Fuzzy Duck Balm
AS: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Beard Oil: Stirling Executive Man

Shave thirteen was a little questionable going in because I had a five day stubble but this blade just keeps slicing away. This razor and blade combination is definitely a homerun.

Nothing to exciting to report on shave fourteen. I went with some less loved software to try to change things up a bit. Still a rather comfortable DFS. I find myself wanting to switch to a new blade just so I can try it in a different razor because I am getting bored with this setup.

Blade 1 Shave 13 and 14

This thread really has legs, it is going as strong as my Kai blade 1.

I am also on my 14th use. I popped Kai saisho no 14-nichi into one of my big 3 on the aggression (not efficiency) scale.

Death Shave 2021 - the Yaqi V1 Open Comb Cap slant:

9EE03520-13EC-42AE-AB3C-E54F5D7270B7.jpeg

Scary blade reveal, definitely excessive blade exposure, only behind my R41 on the "down boy, no biting!" scale. Blade alignment is intermediate between cap and bar. No fiddling allowed, though - the blade tabs are behind protective end flanges. Based on past experience, a protective flange over the blade edge might be a valued safety feature.

However...
This shave did not live up to the title. Sadly, there was no excitement at all. As a movie, two thumbs down.

I think the greater stiffness of the Kai steel made it just a solid, smooth, close shave. Close shave in the best possible sense for an actual shave, and not a chase scene. By the finale, I was completely nonchalant! So two thumbs up for both closeness and comfort.

I wonder if Kai blades are thicker than most, but my research would probably be more accurate with a micrometer than an internet browse.

Our hero:
B2BD496E-9360-42AD-90DE-C03FBBD7338E.jpeg

I think t=0.10 means 0.1mm thick, which seems pretty standard for razor blades, to Google.

Now I have to try Kai in my PBOCS! Why the PBOCS is so much wilder than El Fantasma, only Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements knows for sure.

I'm owning this thread today.

Today's Kai clean up:
79AABAAC-0C7A-4E42-A8CE-B784A3A33243.jpeg

I hope that looks like enough gear for a shave. I can't get everything in the frame, but this is most of it.

The focus was on cleaning the lines as my ski beard grows back in. PBOCS is a great edging tool, even better sporting a Kai. The spanish point Dovo Barbarossa not-a-shavette shorty SR is a detailing expert too.

Kai report:
Still doing the job on its 15th use. It does help tame the PBOCS, but not to the degree that it changed the Yaqi V1 OCC slant yesterday.

Terror "balm" report:
As is usual and absolutely required, I applied it with a q-tip carefully avoiding lips, nostrils, and any skin within 4cm of my eyeballs. 30 minutes later, face still frozen, eyes starting to water. Typical, cheap thrill...

I didn't participate in the PIF as I already had a few Kai in my stash.
Hope I'm allowed to comment here.
I finally got around to breaking into my last tuck of them this morning.

Pre Shave: Hot shower and Shampoo w/conditioner

Razor: Rockwell Model T on Setting 1
Blade: Kai
Brush: Maggard 24mm two-band badger (fan)
Soap: Modern Williams in Marvy mug
Bowl - Timeless Lather Bowl

3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG)
Result: DFS+ with no cuts, weepers, or irritation

Post-shave:
Alum block - Zero feedback
Dickinson's Astringent WH
AS Balm: Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Just a delightful shave.

Loaded a Kai into my WR1 .74 & had a super smooth, close shave. After using a few other blades the past couple of weeks I came back to the Kai. The Kai is certainly sharp right out of the package. I'll be using the Kai for the next many shaves to see how long I can go with a single blade.
IMG_4508.jpg

Twenty-eighth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

A very light load of RR Green Label (a slight mash and three back-and-forth rotations of the Yaqi Aqua Tuxedo) was sufficient to create enough slick, creamy lather for at least four passes. It was a bit thinner than normal, but that's likely due to the light loading of soap.

As usual, the FOCS/Kai pairing made quick work of my stubble. My three standard passes were smooth and trouble-free. I'm still very impressed with the longevity of this blade. If I had paid for this blade, I would have certainly gotten my money's worth by now. (But, since I didn't pay for it, I'll express my thanks, once again, to @AnimalCatcher and @Grundi for their amazing generosity! :thumbup1: )

As has become routine, there was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB was required. Overall, a close, comfortable shave.

Mysterious Kai Blade 2, Edge 2, Shave 4. Souplex Bakelite razor, Captain's Choice Lime cream, YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo, Captain's Choice seaworthy bowl.

kai.jpg

I've delayed this shave for a bit because it's going to be my last with the Mysterious Kai for a while - I've got a huge backlog of untried blades to get through - but I also had another PIF incoming from @Captain Pre-Capsize from over on the general shaving forum that I thought it might be nice to feature.

There was a lot more in the package, but I couldn't use it all for one shave, so I decided to lead with the lime cream. It's a powerful scent, so much I spent most of the shave thinking about a gimlet cocktail, which isn't what's usually on my mind at 7 o'clock in the morning. I was too busy thinking about gimlets to be thinking of the slickness and cushion from the cream, but that's ok because there was plenty of both and there was no mishaps.

As will come as no surprise, the shave was another great one from the Kai. After a few weeks with it it's clear that its exceptionalism is perhaps a little over-egged, but it's a very nice, long-lasting blade which definitely rewards mindful shaving.

I'd like thank again @Grundi for organising all this, @AnimalCatcher for making it possible, and to thank @Captain Pre-Capsize for my swag (which also included a full-sized soap, balm, and a whole bunch of samples). Talk about supporting the forums!

SHAVE NO. 14
2 days growth

Preshave: Warm shower with Palmolive bath bar
Razor: SLOC
Blade: Kai
Soap: Palmolive stick
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Clubman Whiskey Woods

Another turn around. Formally in toss territory this blade pulled off an incredibility smooth shave. I was in a bit of a hurry and actually expected the opposite. 2 1/2 passes and a BBS result excepting the trouble area.

I've already tried the SLOC a few times, but this was the first time in the trial for the Palmolive stick. Maybe I should stick to the stick. Arko and La Toja seem to get most of the love on this site, but I find Palmolive to be a particularly good stick with a scent that beats the other two. I bet that the Palmolive stick would have more fans if it was as inexpensive and available in the states as it is in Europe.

I followed with my favorite "cheap" aftershave---Clubman Whiskey Woods. I always get the same result from the wife with it. Immediately after putting it on she thinks it's "decent" and "not as good as the nice one" (Stirling's SDM is her favorite) but after a while it becomes, "you smell good!"

Shave #2 on blade #2.
Timeless Ti .95 SB
Kai
Ethos Melange d'agrumes
Zenith unbleached boar
Thayers
Ethos Unscented Skin Food splash
Lucky Old Man

I'm feeling the slightly wider width of this blade. That's not a bad thing, by the way, just a statement. It is very sharp & cuts effortlessly. What I've realized is the Kai amplifies the characteristics of the razor. I used a WR1 .74 yesterday & it was a great shave with blade feel. A bit more blade feel than usual. Today I used the Timeless Ti .95 & found it to be a great smooth shave with less blade feel. To achieve the smooth, little blade feel with the Timeless I discovered the angle to be more critical than when I use a Nacet or Wizamet. The Kai is a giving great shaves! After using this blade up I may use a Feather in the same rotation of razors as this round with the Kai. It will be interesting to see if a standard width sharp Feather gives the same impressions as what I've just shared about the Kai. I doubt it, but it's fun to have some hypothesis going into an experiment. Enjoy your shaves!
IMG_4509.jpg

20210319_134849-01-01-01.jpeg

Razor: Parker 87R

Blade #2, shave #4

The Parker 87R is the razor with the most blade feel in my den. It puts the blade feel of the R41 at shame.
I believe its just my copy showing this "challenging character", though the alignment just seems flawless. It requires the lightest touch possible since otherwise it is quite prone to bite. However, it's a good teacher how to avoid pressure whilst shaving...

The blade feel with the KAI was very pronounced, but I managed to get through the shave without nicks and got a very close bbs. But honestly, that's not what I'd call a comfortable shave.

Onward!

6th (and final) shave with Mysterious Kai blade #2

Rating:
8/10
Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium OC
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (6 and binned)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Bowl: Timeless Lather Bowl
Lather: First Canadian Shave Motherf*cker
Post-shave:
-
Omega Alum Stick
- First Canadian Shave Motherf*cker Aftershave Splash (Alcohol Free)
- Barrister and Mann Unscented Aftershave Balm

+ DFS
+ No cuts or bumps / ingrowns
- More then usual feedback with alum
- Weepers on chin and lip
- Minor irritation that went away after half hour or so
- Still tugging on chin, goatee and lip. Blade didn’t feel as smooth and took a lot more buffing then previously with the Kai. More blade feel then usual and felt a little rough.

After the last shave I was wondering if the feeling of the blade was from shaving 7 days growth off or if it was at it’s limit. Well it had hit it’s limit. I’m impressed with the Kai blade. I can get 2-3 shaves from most blades, 4 from my top performers. 6 for me is fantastic. I have a few other blades I haven’t tried before, I think I’ll try one or two of them and come back for Kai blade number 3, see if it makes a difference in how the Kai feels.

Top Bottom