What's new

Do you shave in the shower?

I do not and have not tried to shower shave. Really have to prep to get a good shave if you are having troubles.

I've been using a Viking razor with Astra blades. It's all I have.

I am not familiar with the Viking razor.

There are two types of Astra blades, the Superior Platinum and the Superior Stainless. The SP blades are quite popular. Some people even say they are very sharp. However, I have not found that to be the case. They are the least sharp blades that I can use. I have tried them many times from several sources and have yet to get a great shave. The SS blades are another matter. I find them to be very sharp and very smooth. They are not my favorite blade, but they get the job done.

@Tirvine recommended the Persona Crystal and Personna Platinum Chrome blades. The Platinum Chromes are one of my favorite blades. Unffortunately, the Personna factory in Nazareth, Israel that manufactured the blades known as Israeli Reds has been closed with production moving to Germany. However, I have tried some of the Platinum Chrome blades from Germany and find them to be similar in performance to the ones from Israel. The Israeli blades are still available on the market, but the ones in red packaging have risen in price due to scarcity. The ones in the blue UK packaging should be the same blade, yet less expensive. The ones made in Germany should be a good alternative if you cannot get ones made in Israel.

This topic comes up once in a while. I have never shaved in/during the shower since I don't know how would anyone, living in the same geographical area as me, be able to.
It takes me 15min to shave and I shave every morning. To let the hot water run for 15min continuously while shaving would be considered insane. At least where I live.
To stop the hot water run between passes, for 15min, would be masochistic.
I am neither.

There are better ways to properly hydrate the stubble and also cut it smoothly. Like using a sharper blade.

I do not shave in/during showers.
And no, I am not interested in a debate/argument about this. If shaving in the shower is your thing, good for you.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Shower shavers more power to you. I myself shave immediately after a shower. I live in a fairly dry climate and while I do towel off the body before beginning my shaving routine I've not found that my face dries off so flippin' fast that it negates my shower.

Ok so I'm new to DE shaving. Been using carts my whole life until a month ago. I'm using Barbasol which is probably part of my problem from what I'm reading.

I'd recommend that OP ditch the Barbasol for a minute and grab a Yaqi and some shave soap.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I would recommend Proraso white or green tea and oat. A good place to start. Your shaves will also get better with experience. Try not to fall too deep into any rabbit holes this early on.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Sometimes. I have a preference to shave in front of the mirror. Retirement has something to do with it.

I used to with cartridge razors a few years ago, but since I no longer use them I doubt that I will have the courage to shave with anything else.

Ok so I'm new to DE shaving. Been using carts my whole life until a month ago. I'm using Barbasol which is probably part of my problem from what I'm reading.

Ordinary DE shaving takes a different grip
from pivoting razors.
With a DE razor, you choke the razor near the head with your thumb and index finger;
you let the other end of the handle hit the middle of your palm.
It's easy to shave blind this way.

When the razor head is a pivoting type,
the tendency is to grip the handle
wrapping your hand around it.
It makes you want to use a mirror.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I believe I saw one of your other posts that you had dry skin? You may want to provide a bit more information about what your looking for. Otherwise suggestions could range from Arko to MdC.
MdC is a pretty nice place to start. I was wet shaving for 57 years before I discovered it. The lather it makes is phenomenal, highly lubricious. Making it with my little Kent BK4 I can make enough for three passes in two seconds. With the T2 it takes three. Seriously. The pucks are gigantic and will last a very long time. Yes, the outlay is large, but I am convinced that on a cost per shave basis it will be reasonable unless you are just making lather for fun and wasting it.

Fog-free mirror, Leaf or Twig Razor, boar brush (not soaked) and a good quality shaving cream in the shower. Great shave, even for us Greybeards....

I ordered some shave soap but it will be a few days. All I have is Barbasol so this morning I tried something to see what would happen. I put a very thin layer of noxzema on my face and then the Barbasol and it was much better. Less pulling so maybe I can do that for a few days.

I'm 50 years old and have grey coarse hair. Been having trouble getting a smooth shave with no pulling. Not sure what I can do to prep besides standard hot water. Didn't know if many guys shave in the shower or if that would help. Thank you.
If you have patience for it, nothing will better prep your skin and whiskers for the shave than a hot-towel method. You can Google it or search here on B&B. Many people don't have the time/nerve/wife's consent to do that, myself included, so here's what I do:

> Rinse my face with warm (not hot!) water
> Build my lather, using top quality shaving soap or cream (A&E, SV, Cella)
> Lather up and leave the lather on my face for a couple of minutes, so it softens the whiskers
> Re-lather
> Shave - WTG, XTG, ATG + clean-up (rinse my face between the passes with warm water)
> Rinse my face with warm water after the final pass
> Squeeze the lather leftover from my brush and massage my face with it
> Take care of my gear (clean the razor, rinse the brush, etc)
> Rinse my face with warm, then cold water
> Pat dry my face with clean towel or microfiber cloth
> Apply aftershave splash, sometime followed by moisturizing cream OR apply aftershave balm

Having tried all sort of DE razors, shavettes, SRs and SE razors, my preferred type of razor that constantly gives me comfortable, smooth, irritation free shaves is AC type SE razor. If you want a GREAT budget-friendly AC SE razor, pick up RazoRock Hawk V3 with SB and OC plates, so you can have some variety.

Top Bottom