What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Some of my mystery chocolate-maple blend in a small straight apple pipe, the one labeled "Prince of Wales" that I began my new journey into pipe smoking with, 2 months ago. The smoke was about 25-30 minutes with 2 relights after the initial 2. And unlike the other tobaccos I've been trying, this one makes me hungry afterward, even though I've just finished breakfast.

Found myself in South Carolina at my son’s house. Enjoying a nice cup of coffee and some GLP Chelsea Morning in the Bob White billiard.

824852B5-109D-45DC-8455-27F700718DC7.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I keep reading about all of you getting 30-45 minutes per bowl. Is it that you have larger bowls than I do? Most of my pipes are fairly small. I don't mind sessions of 20-25 minutes, that's plenty for me. I'm just curious.

I'm a fan of small bowls too, and your post prompted me to time my smoke today.

IMG_20210313_195222_edit.jpg

My last coin of Charatan Rolls (think Deluxe Navy Rolls, but as a Virginia roll, with a "bullseye" of Perique) barely squeezed into this Ben Wade Reader Lightweight pipe, and from the first true light, gave me a smoke time of 52 minutes.

I don't often smoke a pipe in one sitting, but did today, and the bowl got quite warm. Not hot, but noticeably warm. How this compares to "normal" for me, is hard to say, as I'm not usually clock watching. I didn't particularly feel I was smoking faster or slower than I normally do, though. However, many smokes do seem to be over a lot quicker than this one.

AimlessWanderer, a handsome pipe indeed . . . but 52 minutes?? My gosh. I'd get bored with smoking if I went on one pipe that long. When I was a runner, I never wanted to do more than a 10K run, which took me an hour. A marathon was right out. I'd have gotten sick of the whole business.

Maybe it's your choice of tobacco that makes such things possible. Me, I'm all right with half an hour or less!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
AimlessWanderer, a handsome pipe indeed . . . but 52 minutes?? My gosh. I'd get bored with smoking if I went on one pipe that long. When I was a runner, I never wanted to do more than a 10K run, which took me an hour. A marathon was right out. I'd have gotten sick of the whole business.

Maybe it's your choice of tobacco that makes such things possible. Me, I'm all right with half an hour or less!

That's why my smokes often span a couple of days. I'll have ten minutes or so with it, pop it down, and pick it back up sometime later. I lose some overall smoke time, as a little bit of tobacco still burns till it goes out, and the residual heat dries the tobacco, making the next visit smoke a little faster, but I don't mind. I take what I want from it, and come back whenever I feel. I control the pipe, not the other way around. I wouldn't want every smoke to last that long either.

I'm right there with you, Al and Benzadmiral. A half hour is just about perfect. Anything beyond 45 minutes becomes a challenge for me, for a couple reasons. I've always had a problem sitting still, I get restless and feel like I should be doing something. Not that I don't enjoy it, but that little voice in my head starts pointing out other things I could be doing. And a half hour is about all the kids and neighbors give me. My friendly neighbors are great in many ways. I really lucked out with them. But sometimes I just want to sit on my porch and completely block out the world.

Some Sir Walter in my Peterson System No. 307 this morning gave me a pleasant 20-minute smoke, quite tasty actually, with but 1 relight needed. Neither my tongue nor the pipe bowl ever got hot. And I love that the army mount makes it possible to break the pipe down right then and run a cleaner through the stem and the shank to absorb any moisture. If I ever buy another Peterson, an army mount will be the way to go.

45 minutes on a coin of LBF... If I pack a huge bowl with VA flake I reckon I can get 2-3 hours. 90 minutes if it's ribbon. But I'm talking a bowl that's 1"*2" chamber diameter...

3 hours smoking isn't bad when you're reading a book on porch.
RO Firestorm in a GBD Prehistoric. Love the spice of the Perique in this blend.
View attachment 1236203
Always glad you liked a blend I recommended. Sadly last time I smoked it I hated it but knew at one point I liked it a lot. Was ready to dump the jar which isn't much but figured I need to give it another go.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
45 minutes on a coin of LBF... If I pack a huge bowl with VA flake I reckon I can get 2-3 hours. 90 minutes if it's ribbon. But I'm talking a bowl that's 1"*2" chamber diameter...

3 hours smoking isn't bad when you're reading a book on porch

I can do three hours with a pipe and book, so long as it's not continuous. Smoke for five mins, have five to ten mins to let that work through the system, have another smoke for a while... and so on, and so on. Kind of a one hour smoke, that lasts for three or four, as I pay more attention to the book than the pipe, cup of tea breaks, pee breaks, etc. As to continual smoking, I bet I rarely go more then ten minutes without giving my pipe and tongue at least a couple of minutes rest.

Falcon Extra / Dublin Hunter today, with Samuel Gawith Golden Glow. Simple no frills Virginia broken flake.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Peaty Kentucky in a Briarcraft Sterling Ball.
I know Kentucky is in the name but to my untrained palate this is a much more Virginia forward blend. Fairly dry out of the humidor it’s sent in so it’s ready to smoke out of the box and burns quickly. Not an all day smoke for me, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Finally no wind, beautiful evening, all I hear are the crickets chirping all around me. Loaded up some hobbits weed (which I’ve discovered is nearly a clone of Sutliff Z50 Black Cordial), enjoying a bourbon and relaxing.

I highly recommend the bourbon. Soft on the pocket book and very good quality. Strong oak and vanilla.

Attachments

• FFC0EECF-7968-48CA-9A66-9DDC959E1497.jpeg
    FFC0EECF-7968-48CA-9A66-9DDC959E1497.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom