What's new

I'd like to find an electric shaver that gets good results for me

Hm, I bought a series 1000 Philips similar to the one SinatraLennon had in his video, on Amazon. It was £34 with 2 days delivery time.

The exact model is the S1332/41.

Let's see if it gives me any reasonable results ^^

I've just bought a Braun 3040 - I wasn't expecting much really but I was so surprised.

I used it dry and it was so much quicker than my normal shave and so convenient. Very comfortable and provided practically the same closeness as my de's. No sign of irritation either which is good as I'm prone to irritation on my neck.

Of course this is only after one use so my opinion may change but I'm looking forward to experimenting with it more.

If you're a BBS seeker of the smoothest, slickest most stubble free shave in the Universe, pass on by. I might question why you think you need that, but different strokes.

Who says we NEED it??? Maybe we just LIKE to have a perfect BBS!! I for sure do.

Although wet shaving is what I want to do now and forever, most of my life I used electrics. My favorite one that gave the best results was a Panni. I resisted using gel shaving wet with it because it seemed to not make sense. When I finally did It seemed to Turbocharge the razor with respect to closeness and comfort. Like about a two pass DE shave, but still some irritation in the neck area. I gave up all electrics up because they never seemed to last more than three years. Just got frustrated. My dry sensitive skin is in the best shape now it's been in for years.

Although wet shaving is what I want to do now and forever, most of my life I used electrics. My favorite one that gave the best results was a Panni. I resisted using gel shaving wet with it because it seemed to not make sense. When I finally did It seemed to Turbocharge the razor with respect to closeness and comfort. Like about a two pass DE shave, but still some irritation in the neck area. I gave up all electrics up because they never seemed to last more than three years. Just got frustrated. My dry sensitive skin is in the best shape now it's been in for years.

I did try electric shavers a bit when I was in my teens. They worked quite well when I really didn't have much stubble, but then I switched to a mach 3 when I had more and then on to safety razors when I realised how much more easily they could cut through thicker stubble.

I guess I'm just curious about electric shavers as I've used them the least, overall. Plus it's nice to have multiple options.

That's great you've had such a good experience with safety razors - I agree that they're probably the best of all, depending to some degree what your priorities are when shaving, so to speak.

One thing on the "speed" of using an electric that wasn't apparent to me until I'd tried: It takes me a LOT of passes to get an acceptable shave. With a DE I can achieve more in a single pass than I can with an electric using 1/2 dozen passes. And much more "buffing" with an electric to get those tricky areas.

So yes, faster than doing all the pre and post-shave steps involved in a full-on wet shave. But the time spent with the razor upon the face is actually much more with an electric, for me. ymmv.
Your observation is 100% correct. Of course you have to go over each area several times because the beard has to go through the screen to be cut. Your beard grows in several directions and going over the same area from a different direction helps get all the hairs. My total shave time is about five minutes shaving dry including cleaning out the clippings.

I did try electric shavers a bit when I was in my teens. They worked quite well when I really didn't have much stubble, but then I switched to a mach 3 when I had more and then on to safety razors when I realised how much more easily they could cut through thicker stubble.

I guess I'm just curious about electric shavers as I've used them the least, overall. Plus it's nice to have multiple options.

That's great you've had such a good experience with safety razors - I agree that they're probably the best of all, depending to some degree what your priorities are when shaving, so to speak.
The success you get from using an electric shaver is dependent on using it daily for at least a couple of weeks to allow your face, beard and your technique to become accustomed to the shaver. If you give up too soon or only use the shaver sporadically, then you will be disappointed in the long run.

Well, I tried it! The Philips Series 1000 that is.

It did kind of OK, on the areas I tried it on. Most of the hair there is gone, at least. But it was loud, not a very nice sensation and I ended up with some razor burn.

@Flyboybob I've heard people say that before yeah. Maybe one of these days I'll give that a try.

Id try a Braun Series 3. I always got great shaves with one of those and they arent terribly expensive. About Sinatra Lennon, hes a DE razor fanboy, so no surprise he doesnt like electrics. To be fair though, he always swears by canned Barbasol and applies it with a brush, so Im not sure how much I trust his advice. LOL

Funnily enough this little Philips travel shaver is starting to grow on me!

It's the quietest of the three by quite some way and I think it should work OK next time I try it as long as I go in circular motions (last time I tried it I didn't realise I was supposed to do that).

It's strange how it was only £12 which is way cheaper than the other two and yet it's really growing on me!

Hopefully it will work next time I try it ^_^

Funnily enough this little Philips travel shaver is starting to grow on me!

It's the quietest of the three by quite some way and I think it should work OK next time I try it as long as I go in circular motions (last time I tried it I didn't realise I was supposed to do that).

It's strange how it was only £12 which is way cheaper than the other two and yet it's really growing on me!

Hopefully it will work next time I try it ^_^

Rotary shavers are orders of magnitude quieter than foil shavers, which is in itself a plus. And as you observe, technique matters whatever you use to shave. Rotary shavers are meant to be used with a circular motion to maximize the benefit of the slots in the combs (the metal head cover thingys), and perform much better that way. In fact I have a 7900 Series Norelco that has Bluetooth connectivity, and measures the percentage of time you use a rotary motion (I've never gotten any better than 70-ish percent), so actually coaches you while shaving. Persistence will reward you with any new shaving technique.

OK! I tried the Philips travel shaver and the Braun shaver again.

They... do seem to work... I think. But they both kind of hurt and the Braun is loud.

Nothing seems to match how nice a safety razor feels. Multi-blade cartridge/disposable razors definitely don't either, in my experience.

I'm still using my Braun, for me it works well. It's replaced my de for work day shaves and whilst I agree it doesn't feel the same, it does the same job in less time and to be honest, it's kinder on my trouble spot!

I'm looking forward to trying it with my soap at the weekend to add some luxury to it and see how it performs!

OK! I tried the Philips travel shaver and the Braun shaver again.

They... do seem to work... I think. But they both kind of hurt and the Braun is loud.

Nothing seems to match how nice a safety razor feels. Multi-blade cartridge/disposable razors definitely don't either, in my experience.
The bottom line is your face and beard. If you like using an electric shaver, then the ease of use and time saved is great. If you aren’t happy with the results, then go back to shaving with whatever tool you like. For myself, I enjoy the fact that I have never nicked myself while shaving with an electric shaver. For me the time saved and the hassle with shaving soaps and the other pre and post shave ritual pales in comparison to not bleeding every morning. I don’t enjoy leaving the house with toilet paper stuck to my face to stop the blood.

The bottom line is your face and beard. If you like using an electric shaver, then the ease of use and time saved is great. If you aren’t happy with the results, then go back to shaving with whatever tool you like. For myself, I enjoy the fact that I have never nicked myself while shaving with an electric shaver. For me the time saved and the hassle with shaving soaps and the other pre and post shave ritual pales in comparison to not bleeding every morning. I don’t enjoy leaving the house with toilet paper stuck to my face to stop the blood.

I get very, very few nicks. Or you could use a styptic pencil?

Of course the choice of razor and blade matters a lot. Feathers cut me up so bad but I don't know why! As long as I use Astras or Wilkinson Sword ones and the razor isn't super aggressive then I'm fine.

I get the occasional nick but it's so tiny it just stops pretty much right away.

Oh I've found a way I do definitely enjoy using an electric shaver! That Philips travel shaver is great for touching up my shave a little after I've finished with a safety razor, in case I missed any areas!

So hooray :D

I'd also suggest a Braun Series 3, especially a newer ProSkin. I do have a Series 1 190s as well, but the Series 3 has less of a tendency to irritate my skin and also shaves somewhat closer in my experience. I've had many Braun shavers over the years including an early Series 7, but the latest Series 3 is my favorite.

I've tried a LOT of electrics over the years, from the ubiquitous Remington, several different Norelco rotaries, and several other foil razors. The only one that I kept using for any time, and even bought the newer version of, was the Panasonic Arc series, with each version noticeably closer and smoother shaving the prior. (Arc 2, 3, and 4 models, the latter two with the cleaning charger). I found using them wet, with a tiny bit of shave gel provided a more comfortable shave.

My biggest gripe was the battery life would start declining after around 18 months or so, and combined with the cost of the replacement cutter/screen set at the same time, rendered it pretty much disposable. I'm now back to shaving with traditional single blade razors (DE/SE), and with good prep, get a closer shave, albeit taking a bit more time. Still pull out the last Arc 4 model now and then, which makes getting the back of the neck between cuts super easy.

About the only major player I haven't tried was a Braun, which didn't offer wet-shaving until after I migrated back to using a blade.

Top Bottom