What's new

Mystery NOS Shaving Brush, Made In England

timwcic

"Look what I found"
It doesn’t get much more NOS than this. A English brush with the knot still tied up. A imitation?? horn handle with a Badger knot. Thought it might have been boar, but the tips are very fine. Handle stands 3 inches tall and shy of 6” OAL. Has a sticker, but not familiar with it. Do not think this sticker is from the big English makers I know, Boots, Kent, Simpson, Rooney, Culmak. Might be a Ever-Ready or possibly a private label.

What say the brain trust

51CDACA2-3449-46B4-A860-3A0AD963DDDF.jpeg
83C4312D-A791-45A6-B3E9-D981C60F6A0A.jpeg
50061DD2-60EE-49E3-9C4B-BFD6759B7F91.jpeg
E248A105-2384-49A7-A529-7CEDCF9329E7.jpeg
D7A1081D-33A6-4171-B290-38571D11CE42.jpeg
475CA426-6850-4BB6-8B2D-DAB25A151AB2.jpeg

Last edited:
EverReady's weren't made in england.

Agree that I can't recognize the label, but that's the key to ID'ing it

Yes, that's plastic... probably catalin.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Might be a private label for a chemist or out of a gentlemen’s kit.
Without any other label, the maker may be lost to time

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting brush. I have nothing on a maker. Hopefully someone might have an idea for you.

EverReady's weren't made in england.

Agree that I can't recognize the label, but that's the key to ID'ing it

Yes, that's plastic... probably catalin.
I'm not so sure that Ever-Readys weren't made in England (the question might be what time period). I just bought an Ever-Ready brush "Made in England" last weekend amongst other purchases--including a 200T in mid restore now. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know, (because it looks and lathers like a NOS brush), when Ever-Ready brushes were made in England? The badger knot and the unplug underneath the base of the brush (that unscrews) look new. It looks to be about a 20mm knot, I might add some weight to it but it's a good face lathering brush. After a spa day and a few test lathers it has shed some, but I wanted to know if it continues to shed if it was worth reknotting, but I don't want to go around killing unicorns... unless I have to.
Acquisition5.jpgAcquisition7.jpg
Acquisition6.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I'm not so sure that Ever-Readys weren't made in England (the question might be what time period). I just bought an Ever-Ready brush "Made in England" last weekend amongst other purchases--including a 200T in mid restore now. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know, (because it looks and lathers like a NOS brush), when Ever-Ready brushes were made in England? The badger knot and the unplug underneath the base of the brush (that unscrews) look new. It looks to be about a 20mm knot, I might add some weight to it but it's a good face lathering brush. After a spa day and a few test lathers it has shed some, but I wanted to know if it continues to shed if it was worth reknotting, but I don't want to go around killing unicorns... unless I have to.
View attachment 1172198View attachment 1172201View attachment 1172204

I have seen several UK made Ever-Ready brushes. All that I researched appear to be early 1900’s. Mine looks to be to pre W.W. II made, just a guess. Yours looks to be mid-century with modern plastics. That is a big spread of years. I am sure there is more to this story waiting to be told

BTW, nice score

I think it’s awesome your trying to find out who the make is but I say let the beast loose and see how it lathers up :w00t:

Larry

@timwcic I have same brush (2 brushes actually) and bought from famous site's UK version couple of years ago.

Handle is pure marbled catalin and I knew that there were many of them when I bought because in buying option I can take 3-4 brushes. The seller said that he found them from an old store as NOS status. Lot's dense and backbone is so good even with long loft.

20210307_222016.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
@timwcic I have same brush (2 brushes actually) and bought from famous site's UK version couple of years ago.

Handle is pure marbled catalin and I knew that there were many of them when I bought because in buying option I can take 3-4 brushes. The seller said that he found them from an old store as NOS status. Lot's dense and backbone is so good even with long loft.

View attachment 1233479

Very cool never stops amazing me the junk I find in the dirt mall flea markets in Florida

Top Bottom