What's new

Pellet Gun

Depends on your state. I've heard of people taking deer in southern states with high powered PCPs. Here in restrictive NY, I believe it's legal to take pests and small game with airguns, while in gun-friendly PA, it is not. Me, I subscribe to the saying, "use enough gun."

I believe you can take most vermin in Pa with an airgun if its at least .22 caliber. Squirrels if its .17.

No BBs though.

I have Benjamins in .17 and a .25. Amazing how accurate they can be pretty far out.

I love mine. I have a Gamo that shoots .177 at 1100 fps. It's great once I found which pellet it would shoot best. Pellets are still pretty plentiful in my area. I have had mine about 15 years and it still shoots great.

I love mine. I have a Gamo that shoots .177 at 1100 fps. It's great once I found which pellet it would shoot best. Pellets are still pretty plentiful in my area. I have had mine about 15 years and it still shoots great.

What did you settle on? My Benjamins just love Diablos.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Gamo hollow points

Gamo pellets are the best option for a Gamo rifle imo. The wider skirt on a Gamo pellet, seals the air much more efficiently in a Gamo's bore than other brand pellets. If I am using Benjamin or Crossman pellets, I tend to get quite a bit of air leakage between their skirts and the bore. I can definitely notice the slower fps with other brand pellets.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My Gammo Bone Collector gave the best accuracy shooting H&N Baracudas, IIRC. It had good velocity with Gammos, but not the best accuracy. YMMV.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My Gammo Bone Collector gave the best accuracy shooting H&N Baracudas, IIRC. It had good velocity with Gammos, but not the best accuracy. YMMV.

I was just looking at the Bone Collector on Amazon. They are under $200, I was thinking they were way more expensive for some reason.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have an earlier version that I bought on a clearance sale from Midway with a throw away scope and I believe a different trigger? It was a steal at less than $100. I put an aftermarket trigger in it and different scope mounts, a nice Hawke scope. Nice plinker now. It boasts 1300 FPS, but that is only with Gammo light weight alloy pellets. I prefer it to be subsonic, which it is with standard lead pellets.

I just got a Crosman 2240 in and promptly rebuilt it. Put a steel breech on it, polished the hammer and made sure no sharp edges and rounded all where it slides inside the tube. I replaced the factory sear and trigger with a Supersear and a roller trigger, and polished the surfaces that hold the hammer back and where the trigger contacts the sear. All that reduced the pull from a little over 6 lbs to a little less than 2 1/2 lbs. I have an adjustable sear spring coming so that should help more. With all the parts out there those things are leggo's for airguns.

Good thread!

I know a couple guys that use large caliber air rifles to hunt coyote in more populated areas. They like them, but mentioned the severely reduced ranges for effective kills. I never asked what they used, but compared to .223, I’m sure the range of air guns are all severely reduced. Very interesting though.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just got a Crosman 2240 in and promptly rebuilt it. Put a steel breech on it, polished the hammer and made sure no sharp edges and rounded all where it slides inside the tube. I replaced the factory sear and trigger with a Supersear and a roller trigger, and polished the surfaces that hold the hammer back and where the trigger contacts the sear. All that reduced the pull from a little over 6 lbs to a little less than 2 1/2 lbs. I have an adjustable sear spring coming so that should help more. With all the parts out there those things are leggo's for airguns.
We want pics and links for your upgrade!

Good thread!

I know a couple guys that use large caliber air rifles to hunt coyote in more populated areas. They like them, but mentioned the severely reduced ranges for effective kills. I never asked what they used, but compared to .223, I’m sure the range of air guns are all severely reduced. Very interesting though.
That is interesting! I have an older foxpro caller with a fox jack decoy, with the proper set up (wind,cover,etc..) I have gotten them within 10 feet. I generally take them at 75 to 100 yards though.

That is interesting! I have an older foxpro caller with a fox jack decoy, with the proper set up (wind,cover,etc..) I have gotten them within 10 feet. I generally take them at 75 to 100 yards though.
Do you put up the furs? A good air gun would be real easy on them I bet.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think a high end, large caliber airgun would be ideal for predator culling in an urban/semi-urban environment. You would still need to be very careful of what's beyond/behind your target as usual. And mindful of local ordinances!

Do you put up the furs? A good air gun would be real easy on them I bet.
I skin and flesh them, then I give them to my brother. He has all my traps and stretchers as well. Fur prices are all over the place, so he holds all the fur he traps and what I give him until he can get a decent price.

We want pics and links for your upgrade!
Crosman 2240 CO2 Air Gun | Pyramyd Air basic pistol

SuperSear 2Stage Trigger Sear Crosman 1377 1322 2240 2300 2400 2260 Disco etc. | eBay

Numerous other parts from ebay seller needfulthings-2019
roller trigger, adjustable sear spring , stainless safety, action shims. power adjuster(adjusts tension on hammer spring) steel breech upgrade kit( direct from Crosman) LPA rear sight.

The steel breech replaces a stock plastic breech and gives a long 11mm dovetail rail. I took the Supersear and stoned maching marks of bearing surfaces which act with the hammer and trigger. shims on either side of the Supersear keeps it straight and centered in grip frame instead of being canted sideways. It all got the trigger pull down from about 6 1/2 lbs to initallay 7 oz which was too light and not reliable so I adjusted it up to 12 oz. The gun still looks exactly like the stock picture I linked to. These things are to the air gun(CO2) world like the the AR 15 is to the centerfire world in that they can easily be customized, except for a lot less money. I understand that there are things that can be done to the valve assembly to increase power, but I prefer to keep it standard and get more shots per CO2 cylinder, I bought about 120 in bulk and cost was about 45 cents each and good for 30-40 shots in that gun. My eyes are not that great, but I have been shooting ragged one hole groups at about 30-40 feet using a not extremely sable patio table and one of the el cheapo plastic Caldwell combo rifle/pistol rests that I got so I could leave outside and not worry about it getting wet.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Good thread!

I just learned a lot about air rifles reading a couple of articles on urban varmint hunting. I did not even know it was a thing.

Top Bottom