What's new

Back to the Merkur Progress

I used my Progress twice last week, Tuesday and Thursday, a 48-hour beard both times, keeping other variables constant such as pre-shave and soap. The only change was that I bumped the settings up from 3-2-1 on Tuesday to 4-3-2 on Thursday. The second proved to be one of the closest shaves without irritation that I've ever had. I once thought that upper level settings on my adjustables, the Slim and the Progress, would be a mistake for me. But the Progress was great at 4, and the Slim (which I used to start at 5 and now do 6) is as well.

The above posts were written about 48-hour beards. Today I used the Progress at 3.5 and then 3 on a 24-hour beard, 2 passes plus a little cleanup instead of 3 plus cleanup. Not BBS, but very close and very comfortable. Two-day beards still give the best results for me, but that's true of all my razors. The Progress shone even without that.

I used my Progress this morning - I had not used it for a bit. What an excellent shave! I think the Progress gives a better shave than any other razor I have. I have an older one, so it often takes multiple attempts to get the blade aligned properly, and it sometimes feels precarious in my hand due to the head heavy balance and the smooth handle. But there is no questioning the results.

For reference, I have a number of vintage Gillettes - NEW short comb, post war tech, super speed (1948-49 and 1958), Fatboy, Slim, Super - as well as Game Changer .84 SB, FOCS, and Maggard V3.

I think the Progress gives a better shave than any other razor I have.

I have to agree.
I think it may be because it gives the most audible feedback of any other razor I own.

I get the most consistiently great shaves with this razor.

My razors:
Merkur Progress
Gillette pre-war fat handle Tech
Karve Chistopher Bradley
Fatip Lo Storto Originale

and a RazoRock Lupo soon...

I have a short handled Progress. Ive only used it twice. I have a nice collection of razors but tend to reach for my rex ambassador 9/10 times. I'll have to use the progress again.

- Fayiz D.

I too prefer shorter handles on razors, but having said that, I also say the the LH Gillette Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" looks super stunning. But then, to flip flop again, I have to remind myself that one doesn't shave with "the looks" of a razor. One shaves with a a blade that is well maneuvered.

I would never compare the Progress to the so called "Gillette Heritage" razor. Heritage of what exactly? A NEW handle that is not even an exact replica and an Edwin Jagger head? Oh, come on! Oh, right, there is the brown leatherette box with the silver K.C. Gillette signature and the diamond logo.
I think the Progress is much better than the 34C.

Progress today, with an Astra stainless and PdP No.63.

Of the 5 razors I own, this one is still my smoothest shave.
I've gotten to the point where I set it pretty aggressively, now
going 5-5-4 on a 3 pass shave.

REALLY good results.

Progress today, with an Astra stainless and PdP No.63.

Of the 5 razors I own, this one is still my smoothest shave.
I've gotten to the point where I set it pretty aggressively, now
going 5-5-4 on a 3 pass shave.

REALLY good results.
Is the coarseness of your whiskers mild, medium or heavy?

Okay, I caved and just ordered one from Maggard's. Never tried one and need to see what the fuss is about. I am pretty settled on my rotation so it will be interesting to see what happens. Ought to be able to report in next week I would think...

Used the Progress this morning, chambered with a Personna Lab Blue with 3 shaves on it. My setting was 4.5 to start (bear in mind my Progress starts at about 2). It gave a marvelous shave to a 48-hour beard with only 2 passes -- though I did nick myself on the (probably unnecessary) second, ATG pass on my left cheek. To be fair, I've had that same issue with a couple of my razors, not just the Progress. My normally flat cheek curves a bit there, and I'm using my right hand on the left side of my face, so I need to pay more attention.

The end result, though, was a near-BBS, no irritation shave with only 2 passes.

Top Bottom