What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Worked the morning shift at the range as an RSO. It was pretty foggy at first, but clear by mid morning. I don't know if it was the ammo shortage and prices or what but I've never seen it so slow, only a handful of shooters most of the morning but picked up a bit. There was a local gun show going on and the crowds tend to pick up with new shooters with new toys straight from the gun show. Usually on a nice day, there are people standing in line waiting for spots to open up on the shooting line. Not today.
My range time has suffered lately. I used to go out with an ammo can full of whatever I was shooting that day and come back with it empty. We are being price gouged even though the supply is being replenished. 5.56, .223 and 9mm are plentiful now, but the prices are still outrageous. I can afford the target practice and drills but my MG's have become safe queens until ammo prices come down.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Took the CZ to the range to get it zero'd in-ish :) I want to get a pic rail on it so I can run a bipod but I'm pretty pleased with the little plinker! 3 shots on a 3/4" paster at 50 yards...
854D647F-CB3E-4F9D-BF45-EE729FCC69F6.jpeg

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Learned an important lesson this morning... Popped a fluff rat this morning (my first!) with the CZ at about 50 yards. I was using the RWS subsonic HP ammo and had a very high angle shot because of the houses around me. Broke the shot, the gun went pffft, and the squirrel dropped like a rock! Then I heard the bullet whack a tree. Man that is loud! Think super sonic .177 pellet gun. My neighbor hollered "I hear that!" but he doesn't care, he was just giving me some grief! :lol: Anyways, I think I need to get some ammo that is even MORE sub-sonic like CCI Suppressed (710FPS) for shooting around the house.

Learned an important lesson this morning... Popped a fluff rat this morning (my first!) with the CZ at about 50 yards. I was using the RWS subsonic HP ammo and had a very high angle shot because of the houses around me. Broke the shot, the gun went pffft, and the squirrel dropped like a rock! Then I heard the bullet whack a tree. Man that is loud! Think super sonic .177 pellet gun. My neighbor hollered "I hear that!" but he doesn't care, he was just giving me some grief! :lol: Anyways, I think I need to get some ammo that is even MORE sub-sonic like CCI Suppressed (710FPS) for shooting around the house.

Love a good neighbor :)

Some pics from the range, nephew came over this evening and wanted to waste some ammo, so I figured it would be a good time to try out the Wrangler. I will say the loading gate is pretty stiff, but other than that no complaints.

My pistol range
20210307_170721.jpg

Top group,
24 rounds from 10 yards off hand
Federal red box bulk
Bottom group,
6 rounds from 10 yards off hand
same Fed reds bulk.

20210307_172554.jpg

Groups will likely tighten up once it gets warmer out lol...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

CCI's Segmented stuff, would be great for fluffy tails! :)

OkieStubble

Some pics from the range, nephew came over this evening and wanted to waste some ammo, so I figured it would be a good time to try out the Wrangler. I will say the loading gate is pretty stiff, but other than that no complaints.

My pistol range
View attachment 1233587

Top group,
24 rounds from 10 yards off hand
Federal red box bulk
Bottom group,
6 rounds from 10 yards off hand
same Fed reds bulk.

View attachment 1233591

Groups will likely tighten up once it gets warmer out lol...

Not bad for a grooved fixed sight.

nikonNUT

CCI's Segmented stuff, would be great for fluffy tails! :)
If I can find a box for a sane price I'll give it a try for sure, Rob. I will say that "Chicken of the Tree" was dead before it hit the ground! Fat too! Like it had access to an unlimited supply of birdseed or something. There is squirrel and dumplings in my future!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Our weekly RSO match was 1911's only. @OkieStubble may be interested to know that most of the malfunctions were magazine related and secondly ammo (reloads) related. My rig ran fine, I came in fourth, yet again! Shooting a 1911 involves a certain skill set that will manifest YOUR deficiencies quite readily! It's very educational watching shooters who are not well versed in the 1911's manual of arms. It's interesting to see shooters who have no problem with double stack magazine changes, struggle doing a smooth single stack reload at speed.

OkieStubble

Our weekly RSO match was 1911's only. @OkieStubble may be interested to know that most of the malfunctions were magazine related and secondly ammo (reloads) related.

Can you extrapolate on this? Did you happen to notice what brand of mags with what brand of 1911"s? And types of ammo?

My rig ran fine, I came in fourth, yet again!
Depending on he specifics of the typw of competition. I find that, 3rd or fourth place can be better than 1st or last place depending on how you look at it. If it's "just accuracy" or "just speed" 1st place is a good thing. buit if it's the melding of accuracy and speed, 3rd and 4th place usually reflects the dynamics of this combination best.

Competitions either lean to heavy to one side or the other in my experience. Too much time allowed on target gives accuracy the advantage. But it's when not enough time is allowed, when the realities of the meld between accuracy and speed, "on paper" becomes apparent.

Shooting a 1911 involves a certain skill set that will manifest YOUR deficiencies quite readily!
I have a 1911 and have possibly found a viable consistent ammo supplier, which will allow me to get more rounds down range and find out exactly, if my years with the Glock, will help me or hurt me with shooting the 1911. I am excited to find out any of my deficiences with the 1911, which will help me focus on what I need to learn and get better at.

It's very educational watching shooters who are not well versed in the 1911's manual of arms. It's interesting to see shooters who have no problem with double stack magazine changes, struggle doing a smooth single stack reload at speed.

I have done enough of speed loading drills with snap caps already, to absolutely concur with your statement. The feel of speed reloads is a completely different animal then a Glock. Reloading a Glock, is like parking a Yaris in a double door residential garage. reloading a 1911 is like parking a Cadillac in a "compacts only" spot in a full parking garage. :)

nikonNUT

I have done enough of speed loading drills with snap caps already, to absolutely concur with your statement. The feel of speed reloads is a completely different animal then a Glock. Reloading a Glock, is like parking a Yaris in a double door residential garage. reloading a 1911 is like parking a Cadillac in a "compacts only" spot in a full parking garage. :)
Oh look... A Yaris joke. I WONDER who that was directed at??? :lol: Jus kidding, Rob!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can only say that there were a variety of 1911s involved, from Colts to Rock Island Arsenal. The magazines that seemed to show the most problems were an extended variety. Not sure what brand they were, but they weren't Wilson "Bureaucrats". I have a couple of those and they have always performed as expected, though I did not use those extended mags in this competition. There were both hard ball loads and semi-wadcutters in use at the match and most were handloads.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Time is very important in this style of competition. The guy who came in 5th behind me usually places in the top three and probably shot a little more accurate than me, but he was one of those who had issues with his magazines and the time waisted clearing his malfunctions ate into his score. It's points on target divided by time. If you're taking the time to shoot perfect 10s, you're probably taking too long, unless you're a Master Class shooting machine. If shot fast enough, 8s and 9s will beat 10s all day long. Of course the corollary is, "You can't miss fast enough to win".

Top Bottom