What's new

Decent cordless clippers?

I've cut my own hair for the last 40 years or so, sometimes with scissors, but mostly clippers. For the last 20 years it's been with a pro-level Oster model, but I feel the blades are getting dull, and the guards have gotten loose to the point where the last two times I've used it a guard has fallen off between passes and I've had to go down to the shortest buzz possible to cover up the "oops!"

I should upgrade it with new blades and new guards. But instead I want to try a cordless model. Cleanup is SO much quicker and easier if I cut outside. I've been running an extension cord, but that's inconvenient for a number of reasons. As a result I put off haircuts, and my wife is giving me grief.

SO: Is there a decent Li-Ion cordless model out there that comes complete with an assortment of guards, ideally including angled guards for fading, and an adjustable blade lever like I'm used to on the Oster? It'll only get used 4-5 times a year, so I don't need a super robust pro level model. I'd like to keep the cost well under $50 USD if possible.

FWIW, my hair is relatively light and thin. I'm hoping that means I won't miss the power of a pro level corded clipper.

A decent cordless trimmer is $60 - $100...A decent cordless clipper is at least double that amount. If you have an OSTER CLASSIC 76 or even the high end models under that , they can be refurbished to new condition for $50, blades can be bought new and resharpening services are around $10 You may just need a sharpening, these blades can be sharpened many time and a pro with a "disc sharpener" will do the best job. Here are prices on cordless clippers that will not last as long as a good corded model: Cordless Archives - Williamsport Bowman Barber Supply - https://www.wbbarber.com/product-category/clippers-trimmers/cordless-clippers-and-trimmers/

Thanks for this info! I may pursue a resharpening of my Oster, as it is some quality hardware. Mine isn't the 76 model; I believe it's the Fast Feed, but certainly one with the blade adjusting lever.

But even though it won't last as long or work as well, I'm still curious to try a budget cordless model, if there's one that has performed pretty well for someone here.

My first clipper was Oster, still works. It outlived some others (3 total Whals and Remington). Not sure why I quit using it....maybe it was too aggressive with no guard.....I think it cuts your skin. Have a new Wahl that I havent used.... but never cordless. Those batteries aren't the great . They want to move everything to battery power and soon the environment will be poisoned w used useless batteries leaking toxic stuff....

You can buy blades and guards for your current clipper on Amazon. Given your budget that's likely what I would do. I mean you've dealt with the cord for the past 20 years so why not a bit longer. I'd deal with the inconvenience of the cord for the additional power and higher quality.

The difference between a corded pro model that you have and what you're going to get for $50 is going to be significant. If you wanted a pro level cordless version comparable to what you were using in the corded version, think somewhere around the $300 mark.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
For the past year I've been using the Philips Norelco Multigroom Series 7000, model MG7750/49.
These have worked well for me without any problems. I think they cost me $55-$60

For the past year I've been using the Philips Norelco Multigroom Series 7000, model MG7750/49.
These have worked well for me without any problems. I think they cost me $55-$60
The Norelco is a trimmer...Do you do a full haircut with this trimmer ?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
The Norelco is a trimmer...Do you do a full haircut with this trimmer ?

Yes, I have used it about 10 times to cut my hair and it works fine. It's just as good as the Wahl clippers I used to cut my hair with for 10 years, but without the annoying cord to plug in. The battery lasts a long time also.
I really don't need or want to spend hundreds of dollars for some professional barber clippers, and this one has already paid for itself a few times over.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use an Oster that I used professionally for 30? years or so. I was always going to buy a "76" but never did because my "Fast Feed" never let me down, though I did have to replace the electrical cord once. (Which I also had to do on the Wahl that I had previously. When the second cord frayed is when I switched to Oster.) The nice thing about the Oster is the blades STAY ALIGNED when used daily. Wahl's I had to realign constantly, sometimes in the middle of a haircut!

Your blades may actually be just fine. If you haven't done this yet, buy some "blade wash" and pour some in a shallow old margarine tub and run the clippers with the blades in it. You'll be amazed at the yuck that comes off them. I never had any blades sharpened, but I did try to keep them clean and well lubricated. They last a LONG time. I just replaced them as needed, always kept a spare.

As to cordless, I used them a time a or two, but back then they didn't have Lithium Ion batteries! I will say this: for cutting my own hair, that cord is a pain in the neck! If this Fast Feed ever dies I have a bunch of old corded clippers I've bought over the years, but I'll probably buy a cordless, lol!

Thanks folks for all the tips! I decided to stick with my proven Fast Feed. I gave the blades a thorough wash, and purchased the Andis dual magnet guides, which work great. Results were improved, but prior to my next haircut I will try sharpening the blades.

FarmerTan

Did anyone see the commercial for the cheap looking clippers that was on at Christmas time I think? It was advertised as a device that just cut your hair as you combed it. $30 as I recall. I was tempted, as it looked to be a lot friendlier to my bum right shoulder. I'll go search the interwebs for y'all's opinions. I figure if I only use it once a month it ought to outlast me....

FarmerTan

"microtouch titanium trim" or "micro touch titanium trim"...... So, who's gonna take one for the team? Huh? I can't write it off anymore.....lol!

Maybe the War Department will feel sorry for me if my giant Qtip up the nose today came back positive and let me get one!

Bit late on the reply, but I picked up a Phillips Multigroom 7000 series trimmer (model MG7790/18) at costco for about $60 canadian and it's been excellent. It's a smaller trimmer, intended mostly for facial hair, but I used it weekly to buzz my head down to a number 1 guard for two years, and for trimming my face when I'd left a bit long for the DE razor.

And I swear there's some strange alchemy in the battery they put in the thing (or the most efficient motor in history), cause I've had it for about 3.5 years now and it's still on the initial charge.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
"microtouch titanium trim" or "micro touch titanium trim"...... So, who's gonna take one for the team? Huh? I can't write it off anymore.....lol!

Maybe the War Department will feel sorry for me if my giant Qtip up the nose today came back positive and let me get one!

I read reviews on that one. It sure looked great to me by the advertisements.

The reviews were universally terrible.

I like the idea of a really good cordless clipper, but my 76 works great and is reliable, etc. From what I can tell a really good cordless clipper runs ~$300 and still won't hold up like the 76 from what I've read. I use mine with the guards I bought, and have a bunch of Oster 76 blades, too, in case I decide I want to go super short.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I read reviews on that one. It sure looked great to me by the advertisements.

The reviews were universally terrible.

I like the idea of a really good cordless clipper, but my 76 works great and is reliable, etc. From what I can tell a really good cordless clipper runs ~$300 and still won't hold up like the 76 from what I've read. I use mine with the guards I bought, and have a bunch of Oster 76 blades, too, in case I decide I want to go super short.

Happy shaves,

Jim
My "Fast Feed" is a step down from the "76" and it is still working on the original blades. I just use "Wahl's Blade Wash" once in a blue moon, and oil the blades once in a great while. I was more on top of things when I was earning money at cutting hair! Now it's only used on my own (with guards) or my son.

My first clippers for professional use were Wahl's, maybe 2 or one pair... The cord broke on the second pair, and I decided to switch to Oster. One of my best business decisions ever! Should I have bought a 76?

Hindsight is 20/20. If I could go back in time I would definitely buy the 76. No question. Shoot. If my Fast Feed died tomorrow I'd probably buy a 76. I got more dollars than sense now, and I can't right 'em off on my taxes no more either!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My "Fast Feed" is a step down from the "76" and it is still working on the original blades. I just use "Wahl's Blade Wash" once in a blue moon, and oil the blades once in a great while. I was more on top of things when I was earning money at cutting hair! Now it's only used on my own (with guards) or my son.

My first clippers for professional use were Wahl's, maybe 2 or one pair... The cord broke on the second pair, and I decided to switch to Oster. One of my best business decisions ever! Should I have bought a 76?

Hindsight is 20/20. If I could go back in time I would definitely buy the 76. No question. Shoot. If my Fast Feed died tomorrow I'd probably buy a 76. I got more dollars than sense now, and I can't right 'em off on my taxes no more either!

FarmerTan, you make me laugh, great personality. 👍

You no longer have to worry about writing it off on your taxes. Now days you simply need to convince the wife, that the Oster 76 is a must, or you shall be doomed with bad hair days for life lol. Once she realizes the severity of the situation, she will buy it for you, so she can keep her man handsome. 😁

And don't you go getting the sniffles on me, yes I saw your previous post. Lol Please stay safe, this forum needs stellar folks like you.

Also, question? You recommend Wahl clipper wash, how often should I clean my clipper blade? I do oil my blade after every use.

FarmerTan

FarmerTan, you make me laugh, great personality. 👍

You no longer have to worry about writing it off on your taxes. Now days you simply need to convince the wife, that the Oster 76 is a must, or you shall be doomed with bad hair days for life lol. Once she realizes the severity of the situation, she will buy it for you, so she can keep her man handsome. 😁

And don't you go getting the sniffles on me, yes I saw your previous post. Lol Please stay safe, this forum needs stellar folks like you.

Also, question? You recommend Wahl clipper wash, how often should I clean my clipper blade? I do oil my blade after every use.
That stuff is amazing. If I had hair that was coarse ( I don't. Mine is medium. But still very high count of hairs per inch, or "density") I'd use it after every use.

I used to take something like a shallow bowl and put the blades in the solution and turn the clippers on. It was astonishing how much stuff washed out. Scalp oils, dirt, etc.

Just be sure to brush off the blades before use, and squeeze the NOT running blades with some paper towels.

It's a petroleum based wash, very thin liquid, but you won't need to use oil on the blade until the next use if you don't want to.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
That stuff is amazing. If I had hair that was coarse ( I don't. Mine is medium. But still very high count of hairs per inch, or "density") I'd use it after every use.

I used to take something like a shallow bowl and put the blades in the solution and turn the clippers on. It was astonishing how much stuff washed out. Scalp oils, dirt, etc.

Just be sure to brush off the blades before use, and squeeze the NOT running blades with some paper towels.

It's a petroleum based wash, very thin liquid, but you won't need to use oil on the blade until the next use if you don't want to.

Thank you very much for the information! I'd like to think that I tried to take good care of my old clipper by oiling it often, but not knowing about that cleaner wash, I realize, I could have done a better job. I want to start things off right with my new professional clippers, so I need to pick up some of that stuff soon.

So, I just took a look online, and I found that Oster has an 18 OZ blade wash spray, I assume its the same kind of stuff. Wahl sells these little 8 OZ bottles called Clini-Clip, and I am not fond of the price per the OZ of solution that you get. I rather get value for my money for blade wash. I know that Andis has a blade wash solution, and so does the Blade Care brand.

Which one do you recommend most in my search for the best value per the OZ? If I could get the stuff in a 1-liter bottle that be best I'd think. I will follow your expert cleaning tips. Glad to hear I don't have to re-oil the blades after using the cleaning solution. Ya, I have course thick density hair, the only time it becomes soft, is if I condition it lol.

FarmerTan

I bought the 18 oz stuff ( it came in a steel jar like thing, with a twist off lid) back in the day. I so used the spray can thing, holding my running clippers over the plastic liner in my little garbage container in my shop to catch the spray. Both work phenomenal.

Top Bottom