What's new

Is this rust? (Photos)

Gentlemen,
I need your help. About 5 years ago, I bought a tuck of Wilkinson Sword at a local drug store. The blades all had stains on them that looked like corrosion. I wrote to Wilkinson Sword Germany and they requested I send them the 5-count (black plastic) tuck, as I did. After a while, I received a 10-count (white plastic) tuck from them (thus barely covering my expenses), but no actual reply to my plight. I put the new tuck away, disgruntled at the poor customer service and since my earlier experience with these blades had not been that good. Now, years later, I decided to revisit these blades. They have been kept in a box in my bedroom closet. Unfortunately, the replacement blades also show the same stains (at least the first two I opened)... I suspect it is corrosion/rust and am loathe to use them, but I wanted your advice on the matter as well.
Here are both sides of the first blade:

02E4040A-D5C4-4658-B397-611352D75F68.jpeg

935A4EF9-9AD4-48A2-9457-834CADEB7577.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

Stainless steel is actually not at all resistant to corrosion. It's a wrong name given for whatnot reason....true name is "Steel that can be less stained". So...after few years you can expect to have some corrosion, normally. It's steel. Some more, some less...depending on the legure used. Leave stainless steel in the water for a week and see what happens :)

Stainless steel is actually not at all resistant to corrosion. It's a wrong name given for whatnot reason....true name is "Steel that can be less stained". So...after few years you can expect to have some corrosion, normally. It's steel. Some more, some less...depending on the legure used. Leave stainless steel in the water for a week and see what happens :)

Yes, I’ve read that before. Very unfortunate. It’s not on my other blades, though.

Would you still use them?

I find the Wilkinson Sword blades rust easily once in a razor and exposed to the elements, I've certainly had ones that look like yours.
That said I keep my unused blades in an airtight tin and my Wilkinson Swords have been in there for >4 years without issue so I'm surprised they're like that after being stored in a box.

To answer your question I personally wouldn't use them. Like you I was unimpressed with the blades when I first used them but now I've revisited them they're in my top 5. I'd definitely recommend trying a fresh tuck.

Stainless steel is stainless not rust proof. Go bury your stainless cutlery in the sand by the sea and see what happens. There’s a reason people in Florida buy silica gel by the five gallon pails.

Blades are cheap, I probably wouldn't use it.

Under any reasonable storage conditions corrosion is unusual - even for carbon steel blades which are far more susceptible to it.

I would look at the edge with a jeweler's loupe and see what it looks like. If the edge is good then I'd use them, if not then pitch them in the trash. If you don't want to bother then just pitch them as it's not worth the risk.

Not saying that you are responsible here, but more of a general rule to follow is, going forward make sure that you keep your blades in a dry area. It makes sense to keep them in the bathroom because that's likely where you are going to use them but it can be a place where moisture accumulates and rust can form as a result.

I would not use them , rust entering the bloodstream can cause lockjaw.....
If the edge is not corroded, I'd use them.

And rust does not cause Tetanus (lockjaw). Tetanus is caused by bacteria.

As I have been an auto mechanic for 20 years now, a cut from a razor blade is the cleanest cut I will ever have - even if it is rusted.

I remember buying a few of the black box WS at wal mart years ago, plus then they also had the unwrapped black blade dispensers as well.

I don't recall the blades themselves being all that, but I might have some left. I'll have to go digging, but all and all, the bulk of my blades stay in the bathroom closet, so if the blades were to rust from the bathroom moisture - well they get plenty of that in the closet I'm sure.

As I have been an auto mechanic for 20 years now, a cut from a razor blade is the cleanest cut I will ever have - even if it is rusted.

I remember buying a few of the black box WS at wal mart years ago, plus then they also had the unwrapped black blade dispensers as well.

I don't recall the blades themselves being all that, but I might have some left. I'll have to go digging, but all and all, the bulk of my blades stay in the bathroom closet, so if the blades were to rust from the bathroom moisture - well they get plenty of that in the closet I'm sure.
You're right!....We learned rusty nails etc we stepped on could cause lockjaw when I was in school in the 50's, but it's the bacteria that causes it.

Thank you all for your replies, especially the constructive ones.
I opened every blade in the tuck and every single one had corrosion, so I threw them away. None of the other blades kept nearby show corrosion, so this is it for me and Wilkinson Sword, not going to buy blades again that are sold already corroded. Not a really good blade for me anyways, not smooth or sharp enough (YMMV).
Regarding unhelpful posts like “this post shouldn’t even be here” or “blades are cheap”. Sure, but still, that’s 5,50 € in total thrown into the garbage can. I think as a customer I’m entitled to my money’s worth. Also, I might not be as lucky and rich as you, ever thought of that?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Very informative, and thank you @Cyanshine for sharing. After reading your most recent post, I reread the entire thread, and learned a lot from your 5+ year experience with those blades. For instance, I just moved my stash of blades from my bathroom to my less humid closet. Also, just because something is made of steel doesn’t mean it will last, so I will show a bit more personal restraint in buying 100-packs of blades thinking they’ll last my lifetime. I think I’ll start gifting more of my blade stash to newer members the DE fraternity.

I’m sorry my lessons came at your expense, but genuinely appreciate the sharing of your experiences.

Top Bottom