What's new

Simpson Brushes

I've been looking to pick up my first Simpson brush and thought of the Special S1 Best Badger Shave Brush,
Would like some opinions on this one or other Simpsons that won't break the bank.

The Special is a great way to try a Simpson without breaking the bank. And they are very high quality brushes. It is what I always recommend to anyone looking to try a good inexpensive badger brush.

I have the Special in Best and Pure and use them a lot.

The Special is not a large brush but works perfectly well for face and bowl lathering IMO.

The Special is a great way to try a Simpson without breaking the bank. And they are very high quality brushes. It is what I always recommend to anyone looking to try a good inexpensive badger brush.

I have the Special in Best and Pure and use them a lot.

The Special is not a large brush but works perfectly well for face and bowl lathering IMO.
What Simpson brush would you recommend if i wanted a large brush?
I have big hands so i son't want to feel as if i am going to crush it.

Special is nice but the knot is very small. Not sure how your shaving style is but consider a Berkeley 46 in best badger or even a Duke 3. Personally, that’s the smallest I would go unless I need a brush for traveling.
My first pass i swirl the soap on, the second pass is painting it on, I would like a bigger brush so i don't feel like i am going to break it

What Simpson brush would you recommend if i wanted a large brush?
I have big hands so i son't want to feel as if i am going to crush it.
A bigger handle? A M7 in Best is $130 on Amazon and the Emperor 3 Super is $99. The M7 is a great bigger brush and the Emperor 3 has a slimmer knot but a long handle.

Not much available large in the $40 price range of the Special, but I highly recommend the M7. It should last you decades. But it isn‘t cheap.

The Berkeley is well regarded, but it has an even smaller handle then the Special. I wouldn’t recommend it at all if you have big hands.

A bigger handle? A M7 in Best is $130 on Amazon and the Emperor 3 Super is $99. The M7 is a great bigger brush and the Emperor 3 has a slimmer knot but a long handle.

Not much available large in the $40 price range of the Special, but I highly recommend the M7. It should last you decades. But it isn‘t cheap.

The Berkeley is well regarded, but it has an even smaller handle then the Special. I wouldn’t recommend it at all if you have big hands.
I will be looking into getting the M7 then, thanks for the advice.

Special is nice but the knot is very small. Not sure how your shaving style is but consider a Berkeley 46 in best badger or even a Duke 3. Personally, that’s the smallest I would go unless I need a brush for traveling.
Thanks for the advice

I will be looking into getting the M7 then, thanks for the advice.
West Coast Shaving is the only retailer I know that sells the M7 besides Simpson direct. WCS has great prices as well (and they also sell thru Amazon but likely cheaper thru their website). 👍

I started with a Colonel X2L, which is still a regular in my rotation. It’s an excellent brush for the money.
Actually, I have one and forgot to mention the Colonel. Larger handle and only about $50.

Commodore X3 is a bit bigger and about $60.

Sorry to confuse you, OP! I would still go M7 but the Colonel and Commodore are both excellent larger brushes and less $$$.

Actually, I have one and forgot to mention the Colonel. Larger handle and only about $50.

Commodore X3 is a bit bigger and about $60.

Sorry to confuse you, OP! I would still go M7 but the Colonel and Commodore are both excellent larger brushes and less $$$.
I've got alot to think about now, thanks for the advice

I've got alot to think about now, thanks for the advice
My Special is in Pure but to give you a bit of comparison
Special S1/Eagle G3/Trafalgar T3/Captain 2
5FBDACE4-283E-4C86-93D8-BDF664F4F19D.jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
We’re not talking Andre the Giant hands are we? I have large hands and I find the Berkeley 46 workable, smaller yes, but certainly not a toy. It‘s my first Simpsons, a good brush at a fair price. I’m pleased with my decision.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
562F45D5-DAF5-4409-95A5-EC8837C5E9F9.jpeg

Here is my Simpson Special Pure Badger. My first Simpson brush and not my last. I have 5 Simpson Brushes now but this is the only to get wet this far. Pretty dense knot compared to the boars that I have been using. It only set me back $38.00 Australian with free delivery.

We’re not talking Andre the Giant hands are we? I have large hands and I find the Berkeley 46 workable, smaller yes, but certainly not a toy. It‘s my first Simpsons, a good brush at a fair price. I’m pleased with my decision.
No not Andre the giant hands LOL

Top Bottom