What's new

Gillette 195 Fatboy simply FABULOUS!!

That's it, my search It's over... I finally found the best razor ever made!! And when I say ever made, I mean best safety razor ever made. Not only from Gillette, but of all safe razors out there. Vintage, non vintage, etc!!

Forget about the T-rex, Fatguy, flexi Pepsi and all the copycats out there, no other razor can beat the Legendary Fatboy!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::lol::lol:

20210112_114909.jpg

Congrats and well done!! Your FB looks awesome for only $25!
I had one of my best shave with the FB yesterday when paired with a good & cheap blade so I know what you mean.
This vintage razor is great!

Congrats and well done!! Your FB looks awesome for only $25!
I had one of my best shave with the FB yesterday when paired with a good & cheap blade so I know what you mean.
This vintage razor is great!
@Chard52142
I just had one of the best shaves ever with my Fatboy, loaded with a fresh Perma sharp. BBS shave with no nicks or cuts, just a fantastic shave. The Fatboy feels great on the hand, and you know you are holding a qualit and terrific well built razor. :thumbup: :lol:

I love the Fatboy, too. I traded one once; almost immediately regretted it. Found another cased one in the wild for $20. Promised myself I would never sell or trade this one.

Actually found both in the wild, which was nice, and for about the same price. I think I paid $25 for the first one. Both were pristine.

Traded the first one for a Montblanc 146 fountain pen, though, which I sold on ebay for about $165 bucks, so I did ok on that one, lol.

But I digress. The Fatboy is one of my favorite DEs. Congrats on finding a beauty and a great shaver in the wild!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I offer congratulations on the find. A pristine $25 Gillette Fatboy is a prize, and an heirloom you can pass on someday.

But respectfully, I also caution deeming something “the best” at the expense of another product, unless you have significant experience with both... be it the Fatboy over the Rex Ambassador razor or Heritage/Semogue over Simpson brushes.

I have tremendous respect for visionaries like Matt at Razor Emporium, who had the guts to design and produce the Ambassador from scratch. I REALLY WANT ONE. But until I own and use an Ambassador, and every other iconic DE razor for that matter, I will refrain from calling any razor “the best.”

Again, no disrespect for your great find, and wishing you many years of happy Fatboy shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Very nice looking Gillette Fatboy and at a good price, it will give you years of pleasurable shaves!
I have a Fatboy and a Slim and personally find them close but I prefer the Fatboy for smoothness and ease of use. Gillette made good adjustables at affordable prices for the average person. I like my Fatboy around setting 6-7 where it is efficient and just the right blade feel. There is a chart somewhere that I can not find but it states that each setting from 1-9 indicates blade exposure (example 5 setting indicates .005 thousands blade positive exposure). The Fatboy adjustable basically took the blue flare tip 1-3 setting, reg nickel flare tip 4-6 setting, Red flare tip 7-9 setting and put all in one razor.
My Gillette Fatboy E4- 1959 4th qtr Birth year razor.
Gillette Fatboy 1959-E4  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Awesome find!

I'll say what somebody else also said: it's hard to say it is the best. It is a great razor, but it isnt even the same as the rex. Much less efficient, made of brass vs SS ( not a bad thing), different mechanics, etc.

There are many great razors, including this beautiful one!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's it, my search It's over... I finally found the best razor ever made!! And when I say ever made, I mean best safety razor ever made. Not only from Gillette, but of all safe razors out there. Vintage, non vintage, etc!!

Forget about the T-rex, Fatguy, flexi Pepsi and all the copycats out there, no other razor can beat the Legendary Fatboy!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::lol::lol:

View attachment 1230146

I love my 195s also. Best appreciated after shaving for a few years or more. Built solid and very smooth. I also have Slims and SAs. Never understood the comments about the Slim being a better shaver than the 195 but YMMV. I love my Slims but the 195 just feels more solid and better built in hand. My favorite though is what I call the smooth Slim in a tux, my Super 84. Every bit as efficient as the Slim and then some and smoother. My favorite adjustable will always be the 195 though.

I offer congratulations on the find. A pristine $25 Gillette Fatboy is a prize, and an heirloom you can pass on someday.

But respectfully, I also caution deeming something “the best” at the expense of another product, unless you have significant experience with both... be it the Fatboy over the Rex Ambassador razor or Heritage/Semogue over Simpson brushes.

I have tremendous respect for visionaries like Matt at Razor Emporium, who had the guts to design and produce the Ambassador from scratch. I REALLY WANT ONE. But until I own and use an Ambassador, and every other iconic DE razor for that matter, I will refrain from calling any razor “the best.”

Again, no disrespect for your great find, and wishing you many years of happy Fatboy shaves.
The Ambassador is my favorite razor. But I do love my Fat Boy!

I agree with brother Messygoon. "The best razor," I have found, is similar to a teenaged girl friend in the heat of the present.

Top Bottom