What's new

Looking for volunteers - new scent!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So nice of the Captain to have another one of these sample/opinion things. As much as I would like to participate, I must refrain this time around since I have been too fortunate in the past in being selected. I will be watching for everyone else's opinions though.
You can see which one of us two is the true gentleman here folks! I'm not getting in because I'm afraid of Almond scents! I think Kerosene is kinder to my incredibly handsome face than Almond is @Captain Pre-Capsize , so I respectfully decline (but being the reprobate that I am I will wait for the NEXT new aftershave scent!)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Keeping with the nautical theme...will this be called, Captain's Choice Red Skies or Sailors Delight?

Okay, random.org has selected the volunteers from those of you who have expressed an interest in a free sample. Recall, this is a mild and classic almond scented aftershave.

If you are selected here is what you do:

1. Send The Captain your address. You can either PM me here or send an email to: [email protected] If you send an email please include your screen name so we can check you off the list.

2. After trying the sample come back to this thread and share your thoughts and feedback.

Here is who has been selected:

@Frozenshades, @RenoRichard, @Old School TSD, @Rhody, @Schnitzel52, @Nik870, @BradWorld, @JCarr, @CzechCzar, @sneefy, @Lightcs1776

Congratulations to the winners and we look forward to hearing what you think!

~ The Captain

Great! If you have any specific questions on what type of feedback you would find useful, please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I received my sample of this new almond flavor. Thanks for the opportunity to check it out. The first sniffs from the bottle were very pleasant yet very mild. It has a familiar scent. I see almond but I keep picking up vanilla too. Which I like. It’s not like cella. I thought it was reminiscent of stirling barbershop but much milder in scent profile. I test smelled it several times out of the bottle. Used it on my fingers and upper lip as a further test. The take away of all that preliminary testing was that this is a very mild scent. At one point I got a whiff of alcohol but after I used it there was no burn whatsoever this sample didn’t seem to have any menthol. After all the preliminary tests I had a fresh shave and then liberally applied a couple of full palm fulls of this. It applied nice but had a thin feeling on application I won’t say watery but thin. The scent on application is very very pleasant. The scent is mild I’d say fleeting it’s gone in a matter of seconds after a full application. Post shave I pickup no scent rubbing my face I think maybe I’m getting some scent. Post shave face feel however is surprisingly nice and soft. I’ll continue to sniff the bottle and do another shave and application tomorrow and see how the second full use goes. My main takeaway is I like the scent very much but if I was making this I’d boost the scent by at least double I appreciate the opportunity and feel like I’m giving my honest assessment and reactions. Look forward to using more and updating. Thanks.

I just got home from a hike at Garden of The Gods and found my sample in the mail. I had a pleasant scent.
I will report after tomorrow morning’s shave.
Ed

Thank you for the opportunity to try Almond!

My sample of Almond arrived in yesterday's mail and I used it this morning. I used Cella Red soap, the only almond scented soap I have here, so that I could compare the two almond scents. The Captain's almond smells "cleaner" and bit less artificial to me, but then I don't claim to have a great nose for scents. I usually can only pick up one, sometimes a couple of nuances from aftershaves or colognes. I gave my face a good amount of the Almond splash after this morning's shave and felt a tiny bit of alcohol, but only a little. I did do a full three-pass shave with a Protouch MG blade on shave 6, so not a fresh blade. The Protouch is a guarded artist club blade. Overall, my shave was very close with no nicks or irritation; a good shave to try out a new aftershave.

The straight almond scent is really nice. I skipped my usual alum application to see how the aftershave felt after a just a cold rinse without using an astringent. My face felt great. I have a few of the Captain's products and the face feel with each of them has always been good. The almond scent faded quickly; I also found the same with the Captain's Venture splash I have. Wonderful face feel, not a lot of longevity to the scent. Not being knowledgeable about making aftershaves, perhaps there is a trade off between face feel and scent longevity. I love Clubman AS and it lasts for a long time, but the face feel isn't nearly as nice as other splashes, like the Captain's, that seem to have more quickly fading scents.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I gave my sample a preliminary use this morning. I used PAA Aloha Smackdown, which is Hawaiian Punch flavored, because it is my usual Sunday soap. I waited a good bit after shaving to allow the Aloha Smackdown to fade away. The Almond splash was definitely smelling like almond. I got the overwhelming sensation of Chinese Almond cookie scent when I applied it. There was also an somewhat prominent overtone of the alcohol in the splash. The overall smell did dissipate quickly. The splash had some good face feel, and there wasnt too much sting, even though i used a fairly aggressive razor. It was a good outing. I will be sure to use a bigger dose of Almond on my next shave, and start with a much more neutral soap choice. Thanks for including me in the evaluation!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Is this an ingredient? I’m not sure if this is a criticism or what. I suppose I need to take to google.
I used my black belt in google foo to find this:

Benzaldehyde is an aromatic aldehyde bearing a single formyl group with an almond odor. Benzaldehyde can be derived from natural sources.

My Sample arrived yesterday.
This mornings shave was with my Gillette New SC, Personna GPC (1), Colonel X2L, and Schafmilch.
I tried the Almond aftershave for the first time and I like it.
I like the mild sweet scent.
My wife likes it too.
She said; "It smells like vanilla, oh, now I smell the almond."
The post shave feel was better than I expected.
Aftershaves can leave my face feeling dry.
A fine Sunday shave.

Thanks, Captain!

I just finished my Sunday night shave and used the Captain's experimental Almond aftershave for my splash. I had been looking forward to this shave since I received the splash Thursday night specifically so I could try out the Almond splash.

Tools
Razor: WCS 88s with WCS-CG Toothsome head

Blade: Dorco ST-300

Soap: WSP Gaelic Tweed

Brush: Van der Hagen Starry Night 3-band silvertip

Alum: Generic block from Indian market

Splash: Captain's Experimental Almond

Balm: Nivea Sensitive Soothing Postshave

Background
This was my second shave with this particular blade. After my initial shower (during which time I soaked my brush and bloomed the soap), I did a two pass shave (WTG, ATG) with touchups. The blade came with my MicroTouch One many years ago; I hated the blade with the razor but decided to try it with my current razor. The first shave went well, but I wound up with some weepers tonight.

After I set down my razor, I applied alum and felt a significant bit of sting across my face. I waited for the alum to dry then rinsed it off and toweled my face dry before applying the Almond aftershave splash.

Review of the Almond Splash
Upon first opening the bottle, I held it up to my nose and took an experimental whiff. The smell reminded me of the almond extract I used to make almond jelly when I was a boy. This made me happily nostalgic. I had expected something a bit more like Cella's marzipan scent, which I would've enjoyed as well. But the smell of almond extract, which lacks the sweetness of Cella, brings forth happy childhood memories. That said, I'm not sure for how many other people this would apply.

I poured some of the splash out onto my hand and applied it to my face. I then did the same with my other hand and applied it to the other side of my face. I also poured out some more splash and applied it to my neck as well as to my chin and under my nose.

The first thing I noticed was there was no sting. This suggested that the splash was alcohol free. While some may prefer their aftershave balms to be alcohol free, I rather like that brief sting. It comforts me to think that the splash is disinfecting any cuts on my face, however minor.

Next, I took a deep breath through my nose and noticed that there was no almond scent. This can be a positive for those who enjoy applying an EDT, cologne, or other fragrance after shaving and not want the fragrance to clash with the aftershave. However, since I like wearing my afterhsave as an evening fragrance, I was disappointed.

After the splash dried on my face, I applied some Nivea to complete my shave. I suppose I should've left off the Nivea to see if the splash would serve to nourish or moisturize my skin after the shave. Unfortunately, I didn't think about this until after I applied the Nivea. I'll do that next time.

As I write this review, I am beginning to feel irritation on my face from the shave. I don't blame this on the splash. However, it does suggest that the splash has very little, if any, healing/soothing properties.

Scores
Based solely on initial impressions, I would grade the splash as follows:

Scent in the bottle: 9 out of 10
Scent as applied: 0 out of 10
Disinfectant: 0 out of 10
Strength of scent: 0 out of 10
Healing/soothing: 0 out of 10
Overall: 2 out of 10 (I really liked the initial scent)

FWIW, I think Scott is on the right track with this aftershave splash. I have high hopes that the finished product will have a stronger scent when it's applied. I also hope that Scott makes a version with alcohol to help serve as a disinfectant.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Fresh off shave #2 with the experimental Almond splash. My findings echo my experiences from the first shave. Really awesome Chinese Almond Cookie scent off the vial and in the hand. When it hits the face, I get a huge whiff of the almond scent mixed with an alcohol overtone. I went a little hard in the shave today, and did get a good bit of sting from the alcohol. But once again the scent faded away rather quickly. This may be preferable to some people. Especially those that use an EDT or cologne after their shave. But I rarely do. I usually like my splash to handle all of the after shaving smells. And I like it to linger for a while. This Almond splash reduces to just a minuscule hint of its in-vial scent after bout 120 seconds. Face feel was adequate. Reading the other review where the poster says he detects zero alcohol content makes me wonder if we were given different formulations, or if we all have the same? I can definitely smell alcohol, and feel the resulting sting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom