What's new

What Are You Reading?

Ready Player One (again), in anticipation of the paperback of Ready Player Two.
I just finished Ready Player Two and I didn’t foresee Cline killing off all of the characters at the end. Kidding. 🤪 I found it started off a bit slow, but was a real page turner once it got going. If you liked the first book, you will enjoy the sequel.

It will make a killer movie but I just hope Spielberg sticks with the majority of the 80’s references/story lines as they are in the book. He didn’t in the Ready Player One movie and they were what made the first book IMO.

Re-reading Napoleon: Abel Gance's Classic Film by Kevin Brownlow. The book documents Brownlow's life-long quest to piece together this forgotten silent film after seeing portions as a teen in 1954. I picked up a 1983 1st American edition of the book from AbeBooks, years ago. The BFI/Brownlow definitive Napoleon blu-ray was finally released in 2016. The 5.5 hour film version is still not available in the USA, and may never be due to rights issues. One needs to order it from the UK and have an all-region blu-ray player to play it.

Re-reading Napoleon: Abel Gance's Classic Film by Kevin Brownlow. The book documents Brownlow's life-long quest to piece together this forgotten silent film after seeing portions as a teen in 1954. I picked up a 1983 1st American edition of the book from AbeBooks, years ago. The BFI/Brownlow definitive Napoleon blu-ray was finally released in 2016. The 5.5 hour film version is still not available in the USA, and may never be due to rights issues. One needs to order it from the UK and have an all-region blu-ray player to play it.
Great film. I saw it at the Kennedy Center.

I finished LeCarré’s The Honourable Schoolboy yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the flawed characters and conclusions that are not neat and tidy.

Moving on to Stephen King’s ‘The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.’

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
  • "Backlash" by Brad Thor. A big body count book. Lotsa' triple taps and other satisfying use of firearms.
  • "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. Several B&Bers have recommended it. As I am a Follett spy thriller fan, I hope to find this an engaging change of pace.
  • "Street Without Joy" by Bernard Fall. The French debacle in Vietnam. I keep picking this up and putting it down. Time to get seriously engrossed. This is the book Lt. Col Hal Moore (Mel Gibson) was seen studying early on in the motion picture, "We Were Soldiers."
  • "Bloodline" by Jess Lourey. Smacks of "Rosemary's Baby" meets "The Stepford Wives."

I've been on a John LeCarre' kick since his passing late last year. 2 years ago, I read "The Night Manager". After his passing, I decided to read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, and then started the George Smiley "Karla Trilogy" with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (finished yesterday) and just now starting The Honourable Schoolboy. Fantastic writing and very cerebral in the spy craft without all the technology of today's game.

[ goodreads ]

proxy.php

Putting down a Gentleman in Moscow for a bit and just started The Glass Hotel by Emily St John Mandel.

I don’t read a lot of books from female authors and her Station Eleven book was excellent.

I've been on a John LeCarre' kick since his passing late last year. 2 years ago, I read "The Night Manager". After his passing, I decided to read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, and then started the George Smiley "Karla Trilogy" with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (finished yesterday) and just now starting The Honourable Schoolboy. Fantastic writing and very cerebral in the spy craft without all the technology of today's game.

I liked Schoolboy better than Tinker. Fantastic combination of action in the field and behind the scenes within the Circus.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Not long ago I finished Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles (his take on King Arthur). After that I thought I'd take on "Le Morte D'Arthur," but I just wasn't feeling it. Too much time spent flipping to the glossary to find words I wasn't familiar with, and it just kind of drags on. So I've set it aside for another day, and moved on to Horatio Hornblower. I started "Beat To Quarters" last night.

Top Bottom