What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Dumb question. The last cart I used on a regular basis was the original Mach 3. What’s the difference between that and the turbo?
That’s a great question! I’m not certain to be honest. I’ve only ever used the Turbo version. I have just recently acquired some of the regular Mach 3 blades with a handle. (I did not spend any money, they were my grandpa’s) 👍 I’ll give the regular version a shave this week and let you know!

That’s a great question! I’m not certain to be honest. I’ve only ever used the Turbo version. I have just recently acquired some of the regular Mach 3 blades with a handle. (I did not spend any money, they were my grandpa’s) 👍 I’ll give the regular version a shave this week and let you know!
I used a Mach 3 for years. It was a decent shave for me, but expensive. My understanding is the Turbo was a way to make minor tweaks to justify a hefty price increase (now with anti friction coating, bigger lube strip, more micro fins...)

I used a Mach 3 for years. It was a decent shave for me, but expensive. My understanding is the Turbo was a way to make minor tweaks to justify a hefty price increase (now with anti friction coating, bigger lube strip, more micro fins...)
That makes sense. IMO, Modern day Gillette=lots of marketing. Lol. Thanks for sharing the input!

Still in

Last shave of the month

Gillette Aristocrat
Schick Super Stainless
Yaqi Moka Express 2-band Badger 26mm
TOBS Sandalwood creme & aftershave

View attachment 1229600

I don't think I can join you next month.
Will restock some aftershaves tomorrow and also order some other stuff, to keep shipping cost at a reasonable level.

Good luck in March everybody!
See you all in April.
...And I'm out.
Ordered today so I can join again for March.
Also entered a PIF.

I got 4 cuts - 3 vertical and 1 slanted.
> My chin got the first taste of razor's bite.
> Then my jaw line (near the ear) and,
> When I winced due to cut on jaw, my ear lobe got a bite of razor for its trouble as well.

promptly kick this piece of trash shavette in dustbin

the unscientific blade exposure of this backyard construction razor.

I'll use another shavette tomorrow.

Piece of trash shavette

Heh heh. I’m laughing with you, not at you. I haven’t had much luck with that style of shavette either. Your “backyard construction” comment made me zoom in on it. It actually does look like it was hand forged in a backyard by a man with no arms or legs. Do you know where it was made?

Still in. The absolute last shave of February.

I decided I needed to ride the tiger again that bit me last night. Same hardware and software. Great results when I pay attention.

FYI: the grip on the Leaf was an unsolicited gift from a fellow head shaver IRL. I sleep well at night [emoji2]

proxy.php

I was so excited about the shave I forgot to put the guard on my eyebrow trimmer and made it a half an inch before realizing it.

proxy.php

Last edited:
...And I'm out.
Ordered today so I can join again for March.
Also entered a PIF.
You nearly went the distance, but we'll be happy to see you in March

And when a brother falls - on the last day - it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - OBiF
2) CzechCzar - out (2/11: Cella)
3) SharpieB - out (2/7: PIF entry)
4) Sinnbad11 - out (2/23: PAA soap)
5) @B_R_A_D
6) @Jmp63 - Annual
7) @cryhavoc - Annual
8) @‘Bout Time
9) @Doti B
10) @henrickd - Annual
11) @AZBronco
12) @Roedeer
13) @Timeclo
14) Sotiris_A - out (2/21: Balms)
15) Abz88 - out (2/17: Many, many blades)
16) hopper_64 - out (2/28: PIF and stuff)
17) @woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper - out (2/8: Blackbird razor)
19) @FL shaver
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @Lee93
23) Rhody - out (2/22: Semogue brush)
24) @pdieten - Annual
25) Chef455 - out (2/22: Timeless plate)
26) @mattps1 - Annual
27) Leverspro - out (2/8: PIF entry)
28) @wmadoty - Annual - OBiF
29) @Tomo
30) @4and20blackbirds
31) Cino - out (2/27: Handle and brush)
32) Owen Bawn - out (2/24: Brad Sears brush)
33) @bluesman 7
34) @honeycutt

Made it to the end!

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.84 SB, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Got a bit overenthusiastic about ATG shaving under my chin, and had a near-miss. I was convinced I was cut, but no blood appeared. Decided enough was enough (especially after reading about others' mishaps), and settled for a DFS.

Heh heh. I’m laughing with you, not at you. I haven’t had much luck with that style of shavette either. Your “backyard construction” comment made me zoom in on it. It actually does look like it was hand forged in a backyard by a man with no arms or legs. Do you know where it was made?

After I wrote it, I too had a good laugh about it.
What's done is done, I'd rather laugh at my miseries than be sad about it.

I think the razor was made by some makeshift blacksmith in his makeshift set-up.

I'm not kidding, a lot of work is done in such shops here and these parts are mass fabricated to no special specifications and then sold in lots, all over the place and assembled by different (skilled or unskilled) people.

It's readily available to unsuspecting people and when I purchased it, I had no idea about the quality shaving products.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I ended the month of February with a genuine treewhale. Not only did I buy the Brad Sears two band brush earlier in the week but an hour ago, at 11.30 PM on Sunday, 28 February I bought an Eagle 3 Manchurian direct from the Simpsons mother ship.

I ended the month of February with a genuine treewhale. Not only did I buy the Brad Sears two band brush earlier in the week but an hour ago, at 11.30 PM on Sunday, 28 February I bought an Eagle 3 Manchurian direct from the Simpsons mother ship.

If you’re going to go on a bender at least you knew you had a midnight hard stop and stuck with it. I’m sure most of us haven’t stopped at a set point in our past.

Top Bottom