What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

I'm out!

Got myself two Fatips (OC Grande in nickel and Testina Gentile Piccolo in gold) and a Simpsons Beaufort B6 last week.

Funny thing is that last year i only bought couple soaps and two brushes so i didn't exactly had the problem with buying, but when i joined in this years restraint i have been feeling the constant need to buy something. So maybe it's just easier to not buy anything when you know that you're not been told to not buy shaving gear.

And as for my penalty for failing my mission i'm asking the captain's permission to be beamed to a uninhabited planet where i can spend rest of my days shaving in solitude.

SOTD (059/2021)
28-02-2021

20210228_111832-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar.
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Merkur 15c
Blade: Gillette Nacet (6)
Post shave: frigid tap, Fine Platinum AS.
Fragrance: Montblanc Explorer EdP

Enjoy a sunny Sunday!
JAHE - still in.

I have that razor and am really impressed with it. Even with the plastic handle it shaves terrific. Every time I use it I am floored by how great a shave I get with my three dollar razor. I have even considered getting a couple more so I would not have to worry about this one breaking, crazy I know.

This razor was one of three razors I considered for the FFFMM challenge. I only selected the Baili because of some comments made in another thread I was reading, now I am starting to wish I had picked this one. Great razor at any price and wonderful for $3.00!!!

I got that Tech at $8.00 and thought I did well. Nice razor that I always enjoy. The whole Tech line is so simple in design but with some elegant variations.

20210228_152757-01-01.jpeg

SOTD (060/2021)
01-03-2021

>> The mysterious KAI blade <<

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Semogue TSN 2020 LE 3-band badger
Soap: Martin de Candre ~ Agrumes
Razor: Mühle R108
Blade: the mysterious KAI (1)
Post shave: frigid tap, Speick Men Active ASL

A new month - and a new blade.
Starting today, I'm participating in the KAI blade pif. First shave was close and effortless, but it's way to early to provide a profund judgement. The upcoming shaves in course of March will provide a more detailled insight.

JAHE - still in!

I got that Tech at $8.00 and thought I did well. Nice razor that I always enjoy. The whole Tech line is so simple in design but with some elegant variations.

Amazon has the Lord L5 on sale for $5.00. Even though I have no use for this razor whatsoever I was very tempted to grab a few.

Spent the last month confined to quarters with one Shark Super Stainless for 28 shaves. Maybe this is not the blade to have for such an endeavor? The last week of shaves were less then stellar, but not horrible. Shaving with a dull blade give me hair bumps the last four days or so. I made it through the challenge, but I am glad it is over.

The captain let me out of my room but is not finished punishing me. He made me pick just one: soap, razor, brush, and blade to use for the entire month of March. This should be a lot of fun as well.

I am still in! For anyone interested in my SOTD:
FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2021 Edition | Page 11 | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

Boldy go Forth and Such!

Alien lifeforms...attempting...to control...my mind...nah, two months down. No temptations. Although I'm trying to work through the rest of the first puck I was given as a gift by my wife when I started DE shaving seven years ago - AoS non-tallow based soap is horrific. I have an easier time getting a lather out of a puck of William's new formulation. My temptation is to toss it out the window :)

I am out......purely on a whim, over a week ago I tried a Personna Platinum in my Timeless SS .95 and got an amazingly close shave, smooth and with zero irritation. I had bought a tuck of 200 in November but had not tried them. In the next several days tried the blade in my DE89 and my R41. It gave as close a shave in my ‘89’ as a Feather but so much smoother. In the R41, unlike other smooth blades, no tugging or irritation. I continued to try that blade and several others from the tuck in various razors. It always gave a close irritation free shave. As smooth as any Derby, as close or almost as close as a Feather. A bit of hunting around this forum confirmed Personna blades seem to go thru unpredictable major changers , including recent closure of one plant and shifting production to another country. After some thought I decided to stock up enough blades for the rest of my shaving days. I may outlive my supply or years from now try and find a better blade, but I believe I have found my ‘grail blade’ which works uniquely well for me in all my razors. I do not expect to be experimenting with different blades as I have over the years. The search for my ‘best’ personal blade is done. Good luck to everyone else on the Trek.

Top Bottom