What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

The March thread is up:

Quick question for the march one, I bough a few items in feb, not yet delivered and I am awaiting a PIF won in February, receiving those in march would disqualify me ?

Still in. SOTD - 27 FEB 2021

SOTD 02272021.jpg

Good shave today. TOBS Grapefruit smells amazing and GC68 w/ Feather (3) felt really smooth. Slightly more efficient than what I'd thought but I still got slight irritation at the end. Not bad though. BBS result.

Well . . . I caved. New razor handle and brush. Sorry.
View attachment 1229474

It's my lack of self control that makes the rest of you look good. You are welcome!

So close! I hope you'll join for March.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - OBiF
2) CzechCzar - out (2/11: Cella)
3) SharpieB - out (2/7: PIF entry)
4) Sinnbad11 - out (2/23: PAA soap)
5) @B_R_A_D
6) @Jmp63 - Annual
7) @cryhavoc - Annual
8) @‘Bout Time
9) @Doti B
10) @henrickd - Annual
11) @AZBronco
12) @Roedeer
13) @Timeclo
14) Sotiris_A - out (2/21: Balms)
15) Abz88 - out (2/17: Many, many blades)
16) @hopper_64
17) @woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper - out (2/8: Blackbird razor)
19) @FL shaver
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @Lee93
23) Rhody - out (2/22: Semogue brush)
24) @pdieten - Annual
25) Chef455 - out (2/22: Timeless plate)
26) @mattps1 - Annual
27) Leverspro - out (2/8: PIF entry)
28) @wmadoty - Annual - OBiF
29) @Tomo
30) @4and20blackbirds
31) Cino - out (2/27: Handle and brush)
32) Owen Bawn - out (2/24: Brad Sears brush)
33) @bluesman 7
34) @honeycutt

Still in. SOTD
Razor: Gillette Mach 3 turbo
Brush: RR 400 MB
Soap & A/S: CC Nor’easter
Needed to get out of the house fast this morning, so thought I would try the cart. Fast shave yes, good shave? Meh. Ended up with some razor burn and some irritation, that’s why I got the balm out. I should have just used my Karve with an Astra SS blade. (I can fly with that combo with no risk). Have a great day y’all!
AD7529F7-257D-41B2-AB56-336E912A784A.jpeg

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, no oil
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.84 SB, Astra SP #5, GC.68 OC, Personna #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Tried "riding the cap" with the open comb game changer, and I think that did a better ATG and tidy-up.

On the other hand, the .84 safety bar feels so well tamed now that I could probably get away with using it for the whole job.

MWF is the best performing soap I have tried so far, although I like the Palmolive scent better.

Still in and probably my last shave of February. See most of you in the March thread.

My wife’s in St Louis visiting the grandkids for the weekend. That leaves me home alone to take care of my Dad. This leads to midnight shaves. So another midnight shave!

I’m in the 2021 purchasing sabbatical and my self imposed rule is I have to 3017 two items for every single item I buy and my restock list will be short no matter what. In that spirit another PAA Black Bot shave. Some day I’ll see the bottom of the tub. I also tripped over a bottle of unscented Dickinson’s Witch Hazel I bought over a year ago to try and never got around to it.

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum “White” (10) - head shaves only
» Leaf Twig w/Gillette Platinum “White” 1/2 blade (10) - neck and beard trim only
» PAA Atomic Rocket synthetic
» PAA Black Bot CK-6 soap
» PAA Black Bot AS
» Dickinson’s Unscented Witch Hazel
» Captain’s Choice large copper bowl
» Septic pencil (see note below)
» Proraso Gel Riparatore (see note below)
» Osma Bloc d’alum (see note below)

Note: I was definitely not in the right frame of mind during this shave. I have a small bump on my head I need to be aware of, my mind drifted and I skinned myself quite badly. Badly enough to have blood running into my eye. Probably the worst cut I ever did to myself. My first impulse was to blame my equipment but as all members of any restraint group know, there’s nothing wrong with our equipment. We have very nice stuff.

The root cause was I was applying too much pressure. The Leaf requires a little pressure but nothing like a cartridge. The Leaf definitely has the ability to bite you and will if you think it’s a cart and treat it like a cart.

After applying pressure to slow the bleeding I used my septic pencil with no joy. Cleaned it up again and slowed the bleeding with more pressure then slapped on some Proraso Repair Gel which did the trick. I’m glad the tube wasn’t dried out.

I usually don’t use alum on a regular basis but decided I needed to know how much pressure I’d been using. I was rewarded with burning pain everywhere it touched. Boy did I screw up this shave.

I’m glad DNP Wife was out of town. The doc does not give me sympathy when I screw up shaving and it would have been humiliating to have her dig out her medical bag to work on me.

Last edited:
Still in

How long do you all suspect 3 pucks of Mitchell's Wool Fat would last? I'm 24 now, will I finish them?
I used it regularly for a week, that doesn't seem to have effected it at all.

I'm learning to load adequately, so someday in future, maybe I'll also finish a puck of MWF.

I'm just not overconfident enough to commit to 3017 a MWF, no sir, I'd die of boredom and great lather.

Today I used a shavette after 3 months or so.
I've never used it continuously for extended periods of time, and today I am reminded why.

I got 4 cuts - 3 vertical and 1 slanted.
> My chin got the first taste of razor's bite.
> Then my jaw line (near the ear) and,
> When I winced due to cut on jaw, my ear lobe got a bite of razor for its trouble as well.

Now, thankfully the fourth cut I got was superficial and it closed up before I can do something about it.

I'll use the disposable razor received from the member and promptly kick this piece of trash shavette in dustbin.

I'm actually a bit mad at myself for not using a perfectly good razor provided by a very thoughtful member, eh live and learn.

I don't know if it was the blade (local brand which is not suitable for DE 4/razor), the unscientific blade exposure of this backyard construction razor or my technique.

I'll use another shavette tomorrow.

Piece of trash shavette
Stirling Nag Champa
RazoRock Beehive
Vidyut Supermax blade
Anherb ASC

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_133238.jpg
    IMG_20210228_133238.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
Still in

Last shave of the month

Gillette Aristocrat
Schick Super Stainless
Yaqi Moka Express 2-band Badger 26mm
TOBS Sandalwood creme & aftershave

IMG-2112.jpg

I don't think I can join you next month.
Will restock some aftershaves tomorrow and also order some other stuff, to keep shipping cost at a reasonable level.

Good luck in March everybody!
See you all in April.

Top Bottom