What's new

365 shaves in 2021.

On the homes stretch to two solid months!
Imagepipe_5.jpg

Shave #48
February 26, 2021

Oh boy, do I lag behind in number of shaves or what ?
I took another break from shaving as I was missing the feel of stubble on my face.

I shaved with the BBS again and today it delivered one of the best shaves.
I almost put it up for sale, but after today's shave, I've put down the idea of selling it.

Even if I would have put it for sale, I doubted that anybody else will be interested in it (local people aren't enthusiastic about wet shaving).

RazoRock BBS Stainless Steel
Mitchell's
SOC Boar in Cherry
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (6)
Anherb ASC

Shave : 9/10 almost BBS

IMG_20210226_134329.jpg

I think the OC game changer must work best at a slightly different angle than the safety bar, which is why I'm struggling to get consistent results out of it ATG. Either that, or it is not as efficient as it feels.

I'm using my Game Changer OC 84 daily (except this week) and I aim for BBS everyday.
Apart from my shortcomings in technique and finding the hairs which are almost parallel to skin, and hence left after the shave, the game Changer OC 84 is a good razor.

I think your Game Changer OC 68 is not too far behind in the efficiency department, but OC 84 is definitely more efficient than it.

I ride the cap more in the Open Comb razor (handle is far from face), and that gives me a tug free shave.

I find that (my) other SB razors are needed to be used quite opposite way.

Eg : Variant Adjustable won't even engage if I use cap riding in lower settings (2,3) and anything more will bring positive exposure of the blade, so then it actually requires that I ride the cap to avoid raw face.

In short, I ride the cap with my open comb razor, and I prefer to ride the base plate in close comb razor.

Hopefully, you'll figure it out and get better shaves with your Game Changer OC 68 as well.

During 2020, I missed one day of shaving as my then bum knee had me feeling sorry for myself. So far in 2021, I’ve shaved every day. As my knees seem fine, I expect to shave every day this year. I love the bowling ball feel of my face every day, especially with a layer of aftershave splash from Maol Grooming, Chatillon Lux or Declaration Grooming.

I'm using my Game Changer OC 84 daily (except this week) and I aim for BBS everyday.
Apart from my shortcomings in technique and finding the hairs which are almost parallel to skin, and hence left after the shave, the game Changer OC 84 is a good razor.

I think your Game Changer OC 68 is not too far behind in the efficiency department, but OC 84 is definitely more efficient than it.

I ride the cap more in the Open Comb razor (handle is far from face), and that gives me a tug free shave.

I find that (my) other SB razors are needed to be used quite opposite way.

Eg : Variant Adjustable won't even engage if I use cap riding in lower settings (2,3) and anything more will bring positive exposure of the blade, so then it actually requires that I ride the cap to avoid raw face.

In short, I ride the cap with my open comb razor, and I prefer to ride the base plate in close comb razor.

Hopefully, you'll figure it out and get better shaves with your Game Changer OC 68 as well.

Helpful explanation, Contact_vs_Feedback. I'll give that a shot when I return to the open comb experiment. I tend to ride the bar/baseplate on my safety bar razors, so I've probably been doing the the same thing by default, with the open comb.

Meanwhile,

Friday 26th Feb, shave #57, so 100% so far. I don't think I've ever managed a full year.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S, R3, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Another lazy Friday shave with the Rockwell, getting an autopilot DFS.

This is a really cool thread! Love the idea of it. I sometimes can not shave everyday due to irritation on the neck. What are the secrets to being able to shave every single day?!

This is a really cool thread! Love the idea of it. I sometimes can not shave everyday due to irritation on the neck. What are the secrets to being able to shave every single day?!
That's a great question, one that there is not a universal answer to due so many variables, but nevertheless their are fundamentals, one of which would be to learn to not use any pressure. I said goodbye to irritation when I got an efficient razor (for me it was a Karve, but could have been many others) with sharp blades.

That's a great question, one that there is not a universal answer to due so many variables, but nevertheless their are fundamentals, one of which would be to learn to not use any pressure. I said goodbye to irritation when I got an efficient razor (for me it was a Karve, but could have been many others) with sharp blades.
Awesome and thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. This thread just makes me more motivated to figure out exactly what works for me.

What are the secrets to being able to shave every single day?
There will be lots of answers to that, but for me it was getting a perfect prep. After a face-wash, the hot washcloth method of hydration does it for me.

Meanwhile, Saturday 27th Feb, shave #58.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.84 SB, Astra SP #5, GC.68 OC, Personna #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

@Contact_vs_Feedback, tried "riding the cap" with the open comb game changer, as you suggested, and I think that did a better ATG and tidy-up.

On the other hand, the .84 safety bar feels so well tamed now that I could probably get away with using it for the whole job.

MWF is the best performing soap I have tried so far, although I like the Palmolive scent better.

tried "riding the cap" with the open comb game changer, as you suggested, and I think that did a better ATG and tidy-up.

That's great news.
I found this way worked for me, and I'm glad it worked for you as well.
I too find this good for ATG pass because I don't have to feel the " tooth " after a few passes are done.

On the other hand, the .84 safety bar feels so well tamed now that I could probably get away with using it for the whole job.
That's entirely your skills speaking.
We do find a connection to some razors though, and it's somewhat same for my Game Changer OC 84.

I turned towards Game Changer after reading your posts in November GRUME, I don't know if I thanked you for that, so here I'm -
Thanking you for bringing Game Changer to my attention.

MWF is the best performing soap I have tried so far,
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I used MWF exclusively this past week, and it provided such protection, lathering was as easy as possible, and face never felt drying after the shave.

This is a repeat worthy soap, for me atleast.

Top Bottom