What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

I would have bought a 1.25 plate when I ordered my WR2 razor with 1.15 gap if allowed. Still not 100% between 1.15 and 1.25 but I took the leap so will see when it arrives.

Either way, his razors are awesome.

On the advice of those wiser, smarter, and connoisseurs of all things Wolfman, I went with a 1.25 SB. Shave #2 today was smooth and BBS. I'm trying to find the best angle. I tried 30 degrees today and 45 degrees yesterday. Both worked, but 30 degrees may have been closer to the feel of I couldn't even feel it working.

If I go back on the list it might be for a 1.15 - I always like to have an option that I can shave with reckless abandon under time pressure or dial it down after doing something particularly dumb to irritate my skin. It might be the 1.25 SB will fulfill that role for me as well so I'll wait a few weeks to figure it out.

Which Wolfman Should I Order? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/which-wolfman-should-i-order.592039/post-10812543

Which Wolfman Should I Order? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/which-wolfman-should-i-order.592039/post-10812593

On the advice of those wiser, smarter, and connoisseurs of all things Wolfman, I went with a 1.25 SB. Shave #2 today was smooth and BBS. I'm trying to find the best angle. I tried 30 degrees today and 45 degrees yesterday. Both worked, but 30 degrees may have been closer to the feel of I couldn't even feel it working.

If I go back on the list it might be for a 1.15 - I always like to have an option that I can shave with reckless abandon under time pressure or dial it down after doing something particularly dumb to irritate my skin. It might be the 1.25 SB will fulfill that role for me as well so I'll wait a few weeks to figure it out.

Which Wolfman Should I Order? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/which-wolfman-should-i-order.592039/post-10812543

Which Wolfman Should I Order? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/which-wolfman-should-i-order.592039/post-10812593
I’ve read Hannah’s Dad post many times that the WR2 head likes a steep angle. Yesterday I went super-steep, with handle almost parallel to my face and it really seemed to increase performance.

I’ve read Hannah’s Dad post many times that the WR2 head likes a steep angle. Yesterday I went super-steep, with handle almost parallel to my face and it really seemed to increase performance.

Today at 30 degrees was definitely an improvement over 45 degrees. I will try almost parallel tomorrow.

I know it feels weird at first. And the thing is so smooth that i doubt it’s cutting. Then I rinse and say Holy crap! As I feel my face.

Exactly this. I doubt it’s cutting so I think I need to change the angle or blow the shave. Like I won’t be doing it again the next day if I do screw it up. :)

This week I'm experimenting more with my WR2 1.15 -- trying to find the path from liking to loving it. Specifically, I'm trying shimming. Today I started with 1 and may eventually get to 3. My shave today was with a new Feather blade and 1 shim (made from a used, cleaned Feather blade) and angle ranging from steep to mid. From what I've read, this should be akin to a WR2 1.25. I understand blades can vary in thickness and the shim contacts the main blade along and near the cutting edges with a slightly larger surface area than the base plate. So logically, theoretically, a 1.15 with 1 shim shouldn't be exactly the same as an actual 1.25. For those who've tried shimming and nearest equivalent plate, how close are they? I'm probably over thinking this, but my brain is too analytical to do otherwise. By the way, today's shave was awesome.

I shimmed my 1.25 with a shim I made from a plastic coffee lid. I was terrified of scratching my baseplate with a trimmed blade (even on the inside). I've no idea how thick the shim is (certainly thicker than a trimmed blade). It greatly increased the efficiency of the shave. I'm a daily shaver and I couldn't shave for 2 days.

Well, my WR2 SB 1.15 arrived this week. So happy I got this, perfect for me. I guess I will get my 1.05SB ready for sale this weekend! The 1.05 was a great shave, but I like the slight increased gap on the 1.15 just a little but more. I honestly might sell a few more razors too, with this and my WR1 and a few others, I find there are some that just don't get any use.

Have a good weekend gents, and happy shaving!

Thanks so much for all the advice so far! Still been reading all the various takes and comparisons and reviews of various gaps.

So I think I'm definitely set on the wrh 7 handle in solid. Don't think I will like the head heavy balance with the hollow.

Also after seeing all the comments and reviews, quite tempted to go for the Matt finish instead of polished one. Just easier to maintain and fuss free? Don't know if it would be worth spending even more for that Matt satin kind of finish. Hmmm. Depends on the incremental amount i guess.

As for gaps. With working from home I have been quite often going a couple days without a shave and quite enjoy mowing down 3-5 days of growth at one go. :)

So am not sure if the .95 oc / 1.05 sb is the best optimal combi for me anymore. Hmmm.
See that not many ppl have gone for the dual comb option and seems like the oftentimes best trade off of efficiency and minimal blade feel and just smooth fuss free shaving with minimal irritation once dialed in to right technique seems to be the 1.15 or 1.25 sb.

I usually go steep angle (handle almost parallel to face) wtg, xtg and atg. Tho use narrow angle (handle almost perpendicular to face) to lightly do touch ups.

So might reassess the blade gap choice for me. At moment am a little tempted to go with a 1.15sb.

Wonder if that is going to be more efficient though smoother and less likely to cause irritation than a muhle r89 head. Hmmm

Or to be even more adventurous and go for a dual comb 1.05sb / 1.15 oc. Hmmmm

As I understand it, neither the .95 nor the 1.05 has positive blade exposure; therefore, they should be quite smooth and lack blade feel. The higher gap would likely provide a greater margin of error for maximum efficiency via proper technique. I think you’ll be smitten with the Wolfman.

Thanks so much for all the advice so far! Still been reading all the various takes and comparisons and reviews of various gaps.

So I think I'm definitely set on the wrh 7 handle in solid. Don't think I will like the head heavy balance with the hollow.

Also after seeing all the comments and reviews, quite tempted to go for the Matt finish instead of polished one. Just easier to maintain and fuss free? Don't know if it would be worth spending even more for that Matt satin kind of finish. Hmmm. Depends on the incremental amount i guess.

As for gaps. With working from home I have been quite often going a couple days without a shave and quite enjoy mowing down 3-5 days of growth at one go. :)

So am not sure if the .95 oc / 1.05 sb is the best optimal combi for me anymore. Hmmm.

See that not many ppl have gone for the dual comb option and seems like the oftentimes best trade off of efficiency and minimal blade feel and just smooth fuss free shaving with minimal irritation once dialed in to right technique seems to be the 1.15 or 1.25 sb.

I usually go steep angle (handle almost parallel to face) wtg, xtg and atg. Tho use narrow angle (handle almost perpendicular to face) to lightly do touch ups.

So might reassess the blade gap choice for me. At moment am a little tempted to go with a 1.15sb.

Wonder if that is going to be more efficient though smoother and less likely to cause irritation than a muhle r89 head. Hmmm

Or to be even more adventurous and go for a dual comb 1.05sb / 1.15 oc. Hmmmm

I have an extended length wrh7 hollowed handle and I do not find the razor head heavy at all. In fact it feels perfect though that may have been because I was trying to reproduce the experience of shaving with my titanium p076.

The basic polish finish is really very good - most razor makers would be proud to call it their best mirror polish finish option. I don't think it requires much care at all and personally for me, a matte finish wolfman razor really isn't a wolfman razor to me as I identify wolfman razors with mirror finish.

Satin is very much a high polish, not matte at all, which has been brushed. If you don't want the hassle and potential for scratches of a polished razor go for the basic matte.

"Brushed (Satin) - The best brushed finish. First highly polished, then lightly brushed resulting in a satin finish."

Satin is very much a high polish, not matte at all, which has been brushed. If you don't want the hassle and potential for scratches of a polished razor go for the basic matte.

"Brushed (Satin) - The best brushed finish. First highly polished, then lightly brushed resulting in a satin finish."

This man speaks the truth. The brushed matte is beautiful, but definitely a shiny/polished look and not really matte looking at all.

Well, my WR2 SB 1.15 arrived this week. So happy I got this, perfect for me. I guess I will get my 1.05SB ready for sale this weekend! The 1.05 was a great shave, but I like the slight increased gap on the 1.15 just a little but more. I honestly might sell a few more razors too, with this and my WR1 and a few others, I find there are some that just don't get any use.

Have a good weekend gents, and happy shaving!
So, you like having both the WR1 and 2? I saw that you didn't put your WR1 up for sale. Asking as I have a WR2 and am expecting my name to come up anytime now for another Wolf and planning to buy a WR1 (got on waitlist again in Aug 2020).

So, you like having both the WR1 and 2? I saw that you didn't put your WR1 up for sale. Asking as I have a WR2 and am expecting my name to come up anytime now for another Wolf and planning to buy a WR1 (got on waitlist again in Aug 2020).

I like them both, the WR2 is a little smoother, but both are great. The WR1 and WR2 are both keepers for me.

Also after seeing all the comments and reviews, quite tempted to go for the Matt finish instead of polished one. Just easier to maintain and fuss free? Don't know if it would be worth spending even more for that Matt satin kind of finish.

I went with the basic polished finish because I like shiny things. I wouldn't travel with my Wolfman so it is in its stand or I am shaving with it. I think it's pretty low risk for scratches - the same as my other polished SS razors. The only thing I do is use some dish detergent and a soft toothbrush to clean it off every two blade changes and it shines right up.

Top Bottom