What's new

New Gillette 2 blades cart: The Gillette Skinguard!

The more I shave with the Skinguard the more I like it. Well into double figures on the number of shaves, around 15, stopped counting after 10. I would say that you could get a minimum of 25 shaves and probably more, which offsets the high cost of refills.

I have had no issue getting to 25+ shaves with the SkinGuard I always get the carts for under $2 dollars which is a fantastic value for money

I'm on my 5th shave with the Skinguard and I'm so impressed with the smoothness it's made me put down my Schick Injector (G8 type from 1950's) for awhile. I was on a roll with my old injector but my angle somehow has been off and it's given me itchy bumps on my neck. I don't know what's wrong, perhaps it's the Personna blade and it's time to stay with the Chinese made Schick blades.

This is why I checked out the Skinguard in the first place (also I'm a fan of the Trac II and Sensor lines). I needed something easy again. I needed something that is consistent for awhile and this Skinguard is providing some of the best shaves I ever had (I use tallow based soaps and also Barbasol). I even dared to take two passes this morning (I usually only do one pass and live with SOS for comfort) and so far so good. I'm noticing this razor gives me an aftershave feel similar to my Schick.

I’ve spent a little over a month using the skinguard and even though it has some shortcomings, I am really pleased with the shaves I am getting and the complete lack of ingrown hairs which were before a complete mess. The wife approves so I’ll stick with it for now. I do use a Braun 9 series to get my mustache and chin areas as no matter the razor, an electric is the only one that does a good job on those areas for me.

some items to note:
- I have very course facial hair ( some here have described their hair as wire like……I am pretty sure I am in this category fir facial hair ) and I do not see anywhere near the longevity out of these blades as others here do. If I last a week on one cart I am lucky
- the 3rd trimmer blade is handy and does get my nose and chin cleaned up enough if I don’t have the electric handy
- This razor prefers a thin lather IMO…..seems to get a much better shave
- the moisture strips on the razor are overkill IMO. I have found that removing the bottom moisture strip with tweezers has yielded me one of the best shaves on this one yet. I did see an ad the other day for a woman’s version of this razor….and there I think the moisture strips would be a winner for them. My wife tried a cart and liked it too.

Overall a nice system that you can pick up relatively economically on the bay. I’ll stick with this one for the rest of the year and see how I feel about it then.

I’ve spent a little over a month using the skinguard and even though it has some shortcomings, I am really pleased with the shaves I am getting and the complete lack of ingrown hairs which were before a complete mess. The wife approves so I’ll stick with it for now. I do use a Braun 9 series to get my mustache and chin areas as no matter the razor, an electric is the only one that does a good job on those areas for me.

some items to note:
- I have very course facial hair ( some here have described their hair as wire like……I am pretty sure I am in this category fir facial hair ) and I do not see anywhere near the longevity out of these blades as others here do. If I last a week on one cart I am lucky
- the 3rd trimmer blade is handy and does get my nose and chin cleaned up enough if I don’t have the electric handy
- This razor prefers a thin lather IMO…..seems to get a much better shave
- the moisture strips on the razor are overkill IMO. I have found that removing the bottom moisture strip with tweezers has yielded me one of the best shaves on this one yet. I did see an ad the other day for a woman’s version of this razor….and there I think the moisture strips would be a winner for them. My wife tried a cart and liked it too.

Overall a nice system that you can pick up relatively economically on the bay. I’ll stick with this one for the rest of the year and see how I feel about it then.
I like it even more using those vibrating handles.....maybe it's the weight of the battery.....

First shave with the Skinguard this evening. Absolutely delighted with the finish. 2 passes, lovely TOBS Sandlewood cream (thinly layered), no irritation whatsoever.

Was looking for something 'faster' as i just find the DE shaving to consume too much time overall. The Merkur Futur will still be around, but will continue this on the 2 / 3 day shave for a while and see how it performs.

The Skinguard was not built for 5 day growth but instead for 24-48 hours. It is heaven. Equals any of my top end expensive DE’s in closeness and finish. DE shaving for 30 years now but the Skinguard is a better system in many ways. Wolfman, Blackbird and on are wonderful but built for the hobbyists.

I couldn't resist, I had to try it. Rite aid is doing 30% off right now so I got 1 handle with 1 blade plus 4 extra blades for around $20 and about $6 shipping. I've been using a Braun series 9 for a few months and a series 7 for a while before that. I'm noticing very premature foil wear due to head shaving (Braun says they aren't intended for this, it will work of course but go through foils and cleaning solution quicker) so I've gone back to blade experiments. If these skinguard refills average around the current $20 per 4 and each cart last an average of 2 weeks (modern Gillette carts reported by users at 1-3 weeks of continuous use) then we are talking $10 a month in average blade cost. For me, a guy with a long history of skin irritation who basically gave up on "traditional shaving" due to no change in problems after several years, this new system could really be a game changer even if it only performs to half of it's advertised ability. I would pay $10 a month for quick, reliable, irritation free shaves with no concern what so ever. I'm past novelty and nostalgia... I want a quality shave that doesn't make my skin look like Mars the next day and I really have high hopes for this.

So for anyone willing to shell out a few bucks, rite aid online has 30% off right now. Also, the official Gillette website has a sign up for free samples.

I'll post up with my results once my order arrives.

Have you tried a Gillette Sensor Excel 2-blade cart?

M

Member 113878

The cartridge looks similar to the ones for the King C Gillette Neck Razor:
Bought this one today on discount.

Reactions: tm3

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm becoming more of a fan of the SkinGuard. Not quite as close as the Mach3 but a very good shave, and a cartridge lasts a long time.

I've been using DE razors for the last 2 years after I decided to go clean shaven and as much as I enjoyed using it, my results were always pretty inconsistent. Especially with irritation and closeness below the jawline. I tried many different razors and blades and ultimately I think my main problem always came down to my technique with the hardware being only a minor part of it.

Started doing more research for other options for sensitive skin and came across the Skinguard. From many reviews and from this thread, I figured for $10 (with 2 cartridges included) it was worth the risk to give it a shot and see how it performs.

And after using it today on 2 days growth, I am completely blown away with how close of a shave this gave me, including being able to safely go ATG on my neck with no issues that I can tell. I think I can get away with one pass regularly vs the 2 I did today as a test with zero problem. I'll happily keep using the fancy soaps and a brush but I think the Skinguard is going to be my go to razor for the foreseeable future.

I've been using DE razors for the last 2 years after I decided to go clean shaven and as much as I enjoyed using it, my results were always pretty inconsistent. Especially with irritation and closeness below the jawline. I tried many different razors and blades and ultimately I think my main problem always came down to my technique with the hardware being only a minor part of it.

Started doing more research for other options for sensitive skin and came across the Skinguard. From many reviews and from this thread, I figured for $10 (with 2 cartridges included) it was worth the risk to give it a shot and see how it performs.

And after using it today on 2 days growth, I am completely blown away with how close of a shave this gave me, including being able to safely go ATG on my neck with no issues that I can tell. I think I can get away with one pass regularly vs the 2 I did today as a test with zero problem. I'll happily keep using the fancy soaps and a brush but I think the Skinguard is going to be my go to razor for the foreseeable future.
Hi Titans,
my experience is pretty much the same as yours, seeing as we ended up in the same place pretty much.

I have also tried everything under the sun (that i could get my hands on that is, considering market restrictions here and such) not to bore you too much, but, i have given foils, rotaries, DE's and of course other carts a fair go, none can compare with the SG in terms of the quality of the shave you can easily and constantly achieve with it.

Using the SG i can now shave north to south and south to north with no issues at all...i needn't say that this was and still is impossible with any other tool for me, i do still get the occasionally whitehead around my mouth but i presume that's just me touching my face with dirty hands, my dog licking me and such, i do not believe the whiteheads to be a products of the SG.

Seeing as the results i am getting now are obviously regularly attainable i have even started to look about a bit to see if i can't treat myself, well spoil rather, with a fancy aftershave splash, mind you i get whiteheads and such from balms and not from splashes?!

weird right, pretty much any and every bit of advice (wisdom) i followed ended up worsening the skin of my face...for example i use to wash my face with cerave foaming cleanser, undoubtedly a great product, but alas, it causes whiteheads a few days after i use it, contrary to this wonderful cleaning agent, the green proraso, mostly alcohol, splash does not irritate my skin? how or why i do not know, alas, it is what it is...

i shave mostly on Thursdays and Sundays because i usually have class on Fridays...so 3-4 day intervals

One thing i keep on reading about is that the SG does not cut/shave close? my experience is the absolutely opposite, the way the SG cuts the hair is incomparable to the entire Fusion family as well as the hydro and quattro titanium families respectively, although, in all fairness, the quality of the cut was ok with WS products, they just made mince meat of my neck, something the SG does not do, there is an advert even of a young lad tilting his head upwards to reveal a smooth and healthy neck, no redness what so ever, i wanted to be that lad once i saw the ad, and indeed, neck wise, you can achieve the same as the lad, don't know if you can pull off being 20 again, i have not managed yet he he

Anyway, i hope i haven't dulled anyone reading this to sleep, i sincerely wish everyone reading has a lovely day and is safe and healthy!!!

Cheers

I'm 10 shaves in with the SkinGuard and I can't see myself using any other razor for a long long time. Can't go wrong with a razor that doesn't irritate or draw blood and 9/10 times will give me zero sting with any alcohol based aftershave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love the SkinGuard, I pushed one cartridge to 157 shaves in a row. Admittedly the last 7 shaves were not the best but you can get a lot of shaves out of one cartridge. Out here in Australia we also have the Gillette SkinMate which is the disposable version of the SkinGuard. I bought a few packets when they were on sale but I have not tried them yet. I expect them to be much the same as the SkinGuard, a really good razor.

Now that i have definitely settled on the SG i am afraid to change any of the things that i use, less sure is more in shaving, i am thinking of giving the green proraso soap a go, brush in all, i currently shave using nivea sensitive gel, the OG one with witch hazel in it and to finish i use the green proraso splash, also i was contemplating getting myself a fancy aftershave in the guise of a cologne, i just have to be careful as splashes seem not to cause me any whiteheads whereas balms do...for now, if i were to splurge a little, i am closest to getting the carter declaration splash/cologne, not sure how they label it...
i have lost count of how many shaves i have gotten up to now from the SG i think i'm on 10-ish, same performance, strike that, better actually, punctually no cuts, irritation and so on...wonderful really i just hope they don't discontinue it or something...i think i'll put the second SG cart i got to use when the lubrication thing goes awry on the one i'm on now, although the thing is holding up quite well, for full disclosure, i use the proglide handle flexball non electric, all in all simple, effective as it should be
cheers

Had my first "bad" shave with the SkinGuard. All of it being my fault. No blood but I decided to give ATG on my lower neck another shot and its definitely something I shouldn't try ever again lol. Lots of redness and some razor burn in the one spot that is prone to getting it. Will give my skin 3-4 days to recover and I have to stick with the technique that works.

I just did a head shave with the Gillette SkinGuard with 3 days of growth. I used Cremo classic, It took 3.5 passes but the end result was the smoothest head shave I have ever had. Zero irritation the only burn with the after shave was blemish I had on my head that it took the top off. I'm going to try the SkinGuard on my face in the future, ill try it with 3-4 days of growth. I've had very bad ingrown hairs with cart razors in the past, even 2 bladed ones that's why I switched to de when I was in my late teens. After I do the shave I will post the results.

The cartridge looks similar to the ones for the King C Gillette Neck Razor:
Bought this one today on discount.

I ordered one of these "neck" razors. Apparently it takes Fusion, Mach3, and SkinGuard carts interchangeably. I like the handle design so even if I don't like the SkinGuard/Neck it's a keeper for me.

It’s great that eBay has such great deals on replacement cartridges. $40 shipped got me 8 SkinGuard and 8 ProGlide Shield carts. Should easily last me well over 2 years worth of shaves.

I’ve been a fan of the Gillette Skinguard cartridges for ages. I use a DE about half the time, and the other shaves I do with a Skinguard cart on a Gillette Fusion Power (vibrating) handle. Superb.

I recently cleaned out my bathroom cabinets to prepare for a remodel, and came across a bunch of Gillette Fusion cartridges. I figured I might as well use them—boy was that a mistake. The Fusion carts have five blades (compared to the two blades in the Skinguard cartridges). My skin felt like I had used sandpaper on it afterward!

I ordered one of these "neck" razors. Apparently it takes Fusion, Mach3, and SkinGuard carts interchangeably. I like the handle design so even if I don't like the SkinGuard/Neck it's a keeper for me.
Oops not correct on the Mach3 carts, just Fusion and SkinGuard.

Anyway, I gave it a try yesterday and while I am a big fan of mild razors I have to say this one is just too mild, requiring a lot of touchup. But I do like the handle!

Top Bottom