What's new

Participation PIF - The Mysterious KAI Blades

An unexpected turn of events.

Blade 2 shave 5

After my poor shave with the ball end I put this blade back in the 23C. What a change. It was smooth with no irritation. I did have some pulling and I though “oh. I wonder if it’s pulling because I haven’t been cork stropping. What a good chance to experiment.” So I finished my shave, eager to see how cork stopping might affect the blade. I slide one edge lightly though 3x and flip. This is when I noticed something. The other blade wouldn’t cut the cork! I tried the other side again to make sure of what I was feeling and a third so make sure.

Then I ran my thumb across the blade (not a slicing motion) and I could feel a differences in the edges. It was night and day. One side of this blade was a dud!

I haven’t treated this blade any different than the other one. I haven’t dropped the blade or done anything to purposely damage it.

Fourth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 26mm Two-Band Badger
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

The FOCS/Kai pairing is still performing well. My usual three passes were smooth and trouble-free. Once again, the ATG pass was effortless. There was no post-shave irritation or sensitivity, so no ASB was required.

At the risk of repeating myself, this is a major change from the first Kai blade that exhibited roughness on the ATG and XTG passes.

Mysterious KAI Blade#3 (1)

TL;DR -
Very nice DFS+ shave, MEM Olive is slick, 1 weeper, and some irritation

Equipment: Gillette KcG razor with MEM Olive

Results: for our B&B mate, @JohnPS, I dropped Mysterious KAI Blade #3 into my relatively new KcG razor, returned to using MEM Olive shaving cream and had a wonderful shave. Like Blade #2 Shave 1, I did have some irritation after the shave (and I expect this to diminish with subsequent uses). The KcG razor, purchased on-sale at Walgreen's, is quite mild and heavy, and the KAI Blade gives the razor a nice bump in performance. This turned out to be a very nice combination for me (I like the KcG razor, its weight, and the long handle; however, I would prefer the knurling to be a bit more aggressive and extend all the way down the handle). Although I did have some irritation (not too bad), I walked away with a DFS+ shave with only 1 weeper.

Contrast: for an in-Participation contrast, I've been using a Racer Stainless blade for the past couple of shaves. For me, these are lower, mid-tier blades that I only get 3 SAS+ shaves from. Returning to the Mysterious KAI Blade, I can definitely tell that KAI's are a top-tier blade.

Thanks for the update. Very much appreciated.

Sorry I've not updated the PIF. I have been contacted by a moderator and it appears that I may not longer be allowed to post on this forum due to having an amateur youtube channel. And I have not been posting to the forum as it "duplicates" what I am saying as to my thoughts in the recordings during my shaves.

I am very sorry, I am awaiting a response from the moderator.

Kai Blade #3 Shave #3
Got a nice close shave this A.M. I can't understand why some guys are having trouble with the Kai blade? I guess it might be the razor they are using.?

I used the Merkur Futur Razor :tank: & Arko soap.

Kai Blade #3 Shave #3
Got a nice close shave this A.M. I can't understand why some guys are having trouble with the Kai blade? I guess it might be the razor they are using.?

That was definitely the case for me. My first shave was with a Fat Handled Tech then the next two were with a Super Speed. They were just ok shaves with some tugging and a little irritation. My last four shaves, with the same blade, have been with a WCS open comb and have been much more comfortable with next to no tugging and no irritation.

Kai Blade #3 Shave #3

I used the Merkur Futur Razor :tank: & Arko soap.

I had to take a break from the Kai. I was getting razor bumps irritation on my throat. And the shaves were not all that comfortable. I think tomorrow I will try another Kai in another razor.

Blade #1, Shave #6

Karve plate C
Soap: Some garbage my wife got from Etsy. She has been harassing me to try it cuz it's so great.

Today's shave was a total bust. I should know better than to change any factors or variables when doing a test, but my curiosity got the best of me and I tried the new soap. The soap whipped up great, looked great, then disappeared on my face within 30 seconds of applying. I struggled through half the shave, then loaded some Arko onto my brush and whipped it up, but there was no saving it. I should have started over.

The shave was very tuggy and rough. It felt like a very dull blade. It might be a dull blade, but I can't be sure because of the horrible lather. I didn't push the shave, so I didn't end up with a lot of skin irritation, just a SAS.

I will keep this blade for one more shave. My plan is to have a Nacet at the ready. With my standard Arko lather, I will switch over immediately to the Nacet if I get that dull blade feeling during the first pass. Since I am so familiar with Nacet, I will be able to compare a fresh sharp blade with wherever the Kai is at that point. It should be a good point of reference for evaluating the sharpness level of the Kai after 6 shaves. I know what a Nacet feels like after 6 shaves.

So I still don't know if this blade can keep going or not. We shall find out with the next shave.

Wed 24th SOTD Blade#1 Shave #2 - An excellent pairing between blade and razor!
Soap Catie's Bubbles Le Piment DE La Vie
Brush Yaqi 24mm Arctic Sky Deep Blue Handle
Razor RR G37 Slant
Blade KAI 2nd (Mysterious KAI Blade PIF Participation)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Beautifully crafted soap! The scent is superb, the lather is creamy and slick. Really love this soap.
Shave with razor paired with this blade was much better than the GC 0.84-P yesterday. Amazing! Very smooth and comfortable during the 3passes without any issues at all for a glass-like result. A very close shave.
Rating 10/10!!!
20210223_221902.jpg

20210224_071658.jpg

I haven't put a Kai in a Merkur slant, but I will and see what I think.

I put Kai #1 in a vintage Merkur 37 for use #5. I didn't have any problem with the blade cutting, but I was getting scraped by the blade corners when cleaning up my neck. I even got a pretty good nick low on the right side.

I don't think I'll put a Kai in a Merkur slant again. It did fine in the RazoRock Stealth slant. I will use this same blade in a my FOCS, just to see if it is wearing out and whether it misbehaves in any way.

Fifth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Another smooth, efficient performance by the FOCS/Kai. My usual three passes were all trouble-free. Once again, there was no post-shave irritation or sensitivity.

This blade has been very consistent and I've been enjoying my shaves with it. By the fifth shave on the first Kai, I was feeling some occasional tugging and minor roughness, so it has been a pleasant change.

Just got clarification... cleared to post and discuss just no links to my amateur videos.

1st Blade - 2nd Shave

Razor - Gillette Heritage Safety
Razor Blade - Kai DE (2nd Shave)
Soap - Magician by Zingari Man
Post - Tea Tree Witch Hazel + Hyaluronic Acid
Balm - Prorasso Greentea and Oat
EDT - Sauvage by Dior

After the pretty rough 1st shave on the Kai on the KcG razor, I decided to change up the razor to the Gillette Heritage which I have done showdowns shaves against the KcG, Muhle r89 and Heritage, so it's still staying mild razor range but with a touch more efficiency maybe half notch higher. It did make a difference. Smoothness was improved on the second shave for sure.

Although my video review was focused on using the Magician by Zingari Man Soap, I did note that Heritage Razor and Kai on its second use did pair better due to the improved efficiency on the razor. I was able to also get a better shave, still not smooth but certainly more pleasing for me.

1614156391231.png

1st Blade - 3rd Shave

Razor - Gillette Heritage Safety Razor
Blade - Kai DE (3rd Shave)
Soap - Bay Rum by Captains Choice
Post - Tea Tree Witch Hazel + Hyaluronic Acid
Balm - Prorasso Green Tea and Oat

This is where things have taken a turn for the better. As I change my shaves up daily to keep things interesting for viewers whilst giving insights, I used the Captain Choice Bay Rum for the first time, I did not like the scent, very cinnamon with undercurrent of fruit like stewed pineapple. However I have used 3 Captain's Choice soaps Lime, Venture and now Bay Rum, they are very very impressive, great face feel, terrific slickness and a cushion that I highly rate. I did a deep discussion on Japanese culture and gave insight into Japanese "cutting" philosophy as Kai's country of origin is steeped in rich history including talking about the Legend of Musashi the famed swordsman. The Kai's performance moved up in terms of smoothness and I was able to get the best shave yet from the blade. The performance of the soap for me is another variable which certainly added to the comfort.

After having finished the OBIF today I'm going to switch blades now for the remaining shaves of this month to align my shaves (and my face) to "sharper" blades again :a11:

Starting with next Monday the whole month of March will be exclusively dedicated to the mysteroius KAI blade (disclaimer: if they give good shaves,:w00t:).

Really looking forward to trying this blade...

SHAVE NO. 5
2 days growth

Preshave: Warm shower with Palmolive bath bar
Razor: Henson mild
Blade: Kai
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man splash

Shave 5 went smoother than 4 but not as good as the previous shaves. I think the blade might be wearing down. I have been going with milder razors as I progress however. 2 1/2 passes resulted in cheeks and jaw being BBS and above the lip was DFS. The trouble patch under the chin was not as closely cut as the previous shaves, but keep in mind that some find the Henson to be too mild. No nicks, etc. I think I'll step up the aggression a little to a super speed. I find that most blades will last until 6 shaves before I toss them. I'll try to push this one.

Thu 25th SOTD Blade#1 Shave#3 Good blade + good razor = Great combo!
Soap
Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush Yaqi 26mm Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Razor Fatip OC Slant on Yaqi Handle
Blade KAI 3rd (Mysterious KAI Blades PIF Participation)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Gatsby Splash
Excellent soap! Nice leathery tobacco scent and creamy slick lather! Love this (5.5/10 strength) masculine scent!
FOCS razor on the Yaqi handle feels better and paired with the blade gives a fantastic shave!! Crisply smooth and so comfortable for 3passes for a mostly bbs result. Rating 10/10!!
20210225_091341.jpg

I will use this same blade in a my FOCS, just to see if it is wearing out and whether it misbehaves in any way.

So I am following @Chard52142 in posting FOCS/Kai with a thumbs up. Sixth use and the Kai batted clean up, got on base, in fact I'll call it a triple.

CEF0AB47-889F-4FD8-A4CA-42934A1EEDE5.jpeg

I did a little alignment tweak after I took the photo, to get the Kai edge evenly aligned with the FOCS cap.

As self-appointed umpire, I am going to rule that the Kai does not play nicely with the Merkur slant head, based on @Slanterino and myself having issues, in my case particularly with the blade corners.

I have not searched this thread for other Merkur slant reports, but as a long time Merkur slant fanboy, I will be happy to hear from an advocate for the defense.

Kai 2 shave 7

This was an unexpected comparison and a bit unfair.
Had not shaved in 12d due to no power a few days, cold, little water (kind of dirty , too).

Got a Leaf Twig (the new) model today and wanted to use it (with a Lord Platinum (new , sold cut 1/2).
Proraso Red Pre
Fitjar soap
Muhle Synthetic
Alum
Speick Sport AS
Speick balm

I must admit I should have just grabbed Muhle R41 w a new Gillette or Personna blade....that is the way to go.
But since I had a new toy.....used the Twig w Lord Plat......1st pass was rough....tugging and mediocre shave.
So I found the other Leaf w used Kai, took one 1/2 blade and did 3 passes on the other half of the face. First pass was smoother than Lord and took a lot more hair. Third pass, started to notice some irritation. NO blood . Finished the other side w Lord, less blade feel

So after 3 passes both sides were shaved very close. Minimal irritation on Lord despite rough 1st pass. Kai had more irritation, but that first pass was very good, maybe just needed 2 passes....who knows, and this blade is OLD....#7.

I guess I could still use the other 1/2 in a shavette........, will wait a few days..... No head shaves for now....growing some fur just in case I need to keep warm....it's amazing how slow it grows....

Top Bottom