What's new

Tabac On the Way... First Time User

The Tabac arrived today and I got my first whiff of it. I could smell the soap a little bit through the packaging and container as I was opening the box and was a little concerned at first. It had a pretty strong smell that reminded me of florals, powder, and tobacco but in an old, stale kind of way.

However, once I took it out of the packaging and removed the lid and foil it took on a much cleaner, soapy type smell with the florals, tobacco, and powder in the background and no longer smelled stale. I liked smelling it this way much better than what I got through all the packaging.

I'm not going to be able to use it until tomorrow or Sunday because today is date night with my fiance and I'm not sure if she'll like it or not. Gotta go with a proven winner for tonight at least.

Overall though I'm pleasantly surprised by the scent off the puck and I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend sometime and seeing what it smells like when lathered. Off to a promising start so far.

The scent is very nice. There's nothing negative about Tabac. It's a beautiful scent and not as strong as most suggest. I personally wish the soap were stronger, as it does soften considerably (imo) when lathered. If you love the scent, I suggest trying the Balm. It's stronger than the splash. But the splash is also quite intoxicating.

I'm not going to be able to use it until tomorrow or Sunday because today is date night with my fiance and I'm not sure if she'll like it or not. Gotta go with a proven winner for tonight at least.
You're not here for advice on your love life, and Tabac is great, and the soap, at least, doesn't leave too much of a scent residue on your face -- but -- there is nothing wrong with sticking with proven winners, at least until after the wedding! (Just kidding, she'll love you regardless of your shaving soap.) Congratulations to you both.

You're not here for advice on your love life, and Tabac is great, and the soap, at least, doesn't leave too much of a scent residue on your face -- but -- there is nothing wrong with sticking with proven winners, at least until after the wedding! (Just kidding, she'll love you regardless of your shaving soap.) Congratulations to you both.

She's good about telling me when she likes a scent or not. Just a few days ago she recoiled away after getting a whiff of a new aftershave I was trying and I was trying to avoid a repeat of that in case the Tabac smells differently on my skin than off the puck.

I used Tabac this evening and as far as performance goes it was everything it's been claimed to be. The lather just exploded in the shave bowl I use and was very quick and easy to whip up. During the shave it was very slick and protective. Post shave was good as well. Overall it's as good of a performer as anything I've used, including MdC, SV, Grooming Dept, and many, many other artisan soaps. The one area it might not be as good as some of the artisans is in post shave moisturization, but then I think some of them are going too far in that direction.

Now for the scent. It's not a bad scent, it's just not what I would call modern. I don't dislike it, but I don't really like it either, if that makes sense. I get a powdery, soapy scent with a little tobacco and maybe some kind of floral scent, although the floral isn't very prominent to my nose at all. It smells to me like it's from a different era, and that's ok because it is. Luckily the scent fades pretty quick after shaving because I don't think I'd want to smell like this for hours at a time.

I'm planning to keep it and use it from time to time just to remind myself how good it really is. I'm going to leave the lid off and let the smell tone down a little bit, too. For those on the fence it's definitely worth trying for the performance alone, imo. Now if Tabac would just introduce a new, more current scent I think a lot of the younger wet shavers would jump to it.

Great stuff overall.

IMG_20210222_172405.jpg

I’m happy to hear your maiden shave went well! I agree with you on the post-shave, I believe Tabac is one of the best for my skin, which tends to go oily. For those that have very dry skin and don’t use balms, it’s def not moisturizing enough.

The scent? Well, my opinion is that if you don’t straight up HATE it at first, you will eventually LOVE it and associate the scent with an amazing shave!

I’m happy to hear your maiden shave went well! I agree with you on the post-shave, I believe Tabac is one of the best for my skin, which tends to go oily. For those that have very dry skin and don’t use balms, it’s def not moisturizing enough.

The scent? Well, my opinion is that if you don’t straight up HATE it at first, you will eventually LOVE it and associate the scent with an amazing shave!

You aren't kidding about the amazing shave. I can't believe it's so good. I wish it came in 10 different scents so I could have a different scent each day of the week.

All true. I have very dry skin that used to crack and bleed in the winter when I was young and did a lot of outdoorsy athletic things. Tabac isn't too bad in terms of dryness, but it's definitely not a moisturizing soap. For moisturizing I like to use aftershave balms which are mildly scented like Nivea, but plain old unscented Aveeno works fine too.

I just had a thought... Why in the world doesn't Tabac at least offer an unscented version? That would be so easy and then I wouldn't have to leave the lid off the soap for a week to let it air out. This soap is too great to only have a single scent for 60+ years!

There's a burger place in Cd'A Idaho called Hudsons. If you've been to Cd'A but not Hudsons some would argue you haven't been to Cd'A. Floating restaurant doesn't matter, the locals eat Huddies. (Well the floater too for kicks if friends or family come to visit.)

Hudson's serves a burger, a double, a cheese burger and a double cheese burger. Same with ham and/or egg sandwich. That's it, if you want fries (or anything else) you have to go to the golden arches down the street. Been in business since '07.

I think of Tabac like Hudsons. If you like it cool. If not there's a lot of really good stuff out there that will scratch the itch. But that's what they do and they sell all they make. I respect that as much as I do Stirling's accommodation to any scent you could want.

Last edited:
There's a burger place in Cd'A Idaho called Hudsons. If you've been to Cd'A but not Hudsons some would argue you haven't been to Cd'A. Floating restaurant doesn't matter, the locals eat Huddies. (Well the floater too for kicks if friends or family come to visit.)

Hudson's serves a burger, a double, a cheese burger and a double cheese burger. Same with ham and/or egg sandwich. That's it, if you want fries (or anything else) you have to go to the golden arches down the street. Been in business since '07.

I think of Tabac like Hudsons. If you like it cool. If not there's a lot of really good stuff out there that will scratch the itch. But that's what they do and they sell all they make. I respect that as much as I do Stirling's accommodation to any scent you could want.

I can understand that mindset as well. Clearly Tabac is doing something right since they're still in business.

I just had a thought... Why in the world doesn't Tabac at least offer an unscented version? That would be so easy and then I wouldn't have to leave the lid off the soap for a week to let it air out. This soap is too great to only have a single scent for 60+ years!
It turns out "unscented" shaving soap often doesn't smell so good. I don't have a problem with it in general, but I suspect it isn't the biggest seller. There are good unscented shaving soaps out there. I found WSP Rustic Au Naturel, which is vegan, all natural and unscented, to be very good, but with a slightly harsh aroma. I have a tube of unscented Cremo, which is a decent performer and easy to use, in my travel kit.

For 60+ years people like the scent of Tabac Original? [emoji14]

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I hate to say it but the more I smell Tabac the less I like it. Right now the container is open and airing out under my sink and every time I open the cabinet door I get a whiff...hoping the scent fades soon.
It can provide quite the heady experience when you start out. Sort of akin to getting real espresso -vs- instant coffee.

It can provide quite the heady experience when you start out. Sort of akin to getting real espresso -vs- instant coffee.

Tabac's scent will definitely put hair on your chest, that's for sure.

Not chosen, just move along sir, you’re starting to block traffic.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't wind up on the BST sometime next week. I'm going to give it a little more time to air out before I go that route though. I do love it's performance, though.

I hate to say it but the more I smell Tabac the less I like it. Right now the container is open and airing out under my sink and every time I open the cabinet door I get a whiff...hoping the scent fades soon.
Don't feel bad about this...... I cannot stand the smell of this soap....don't care how good it is. Ash tray and old granny bathroom is what comes first to my brain. Used it once and it will go to my brother......the smoker!!!

Top Bottom