What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
My first bowl in a few weeks...and a good one!

Finally found some time for some LNF in a Savinelli 673 Series III. Just the smoke I needed.
20210224_100158.jpg

20210224_144253.jpg

Boswell's Christmas Cookie in a Tinsky 2015 Christmas Blast.

This combo had me reminiscing of days past. I was on a trip back east in 2016 for some work training and had a weekend off. I stopped at John B Hayes, the retailer Mark Tinsky credits for his biggest break and a frequent collaborator on the early Christmas Pipes. I picked up this pipe there. Then I headed to the Boswell store in Chambersburg and spent over an hour going through their museum, visiting with Gail, and meeting JM and Dan. Gail wouldn't let me walk around without a full pipe, and insisted I refill it before leaving. They are truly wonderful people. Picked up a couple of their pipes, and a few tins including this one.

After all that, I had just enough day remaining to go through the museum at Gettysburg, and smoke a bowl of Northwoods in the parking lot before heading back to my motel. Good times...

This afternoon, back home early after a pleasant doctor's appointment, I fished out my Colossal pipe. I thought it was a straight billiard, but it looks almost exactly like this: Italian Estates Colossal Smooth Dublin | Buy Italian Estates Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://tinyurl.com/wbv52rfx Nor do I remember where or when I bought it. (Turns out I smoked it about 10 days ago, and posted about it here.)

Some of the Tinder Box VBL, which seems to be mostly black Cavendish, went in with Half & Half (actually I blended it and loaded the pipe last night), and had a pleasant 20-minute smoke. No tongue bite, but I was aware that I was smoking, which I expect is a good thing!

Today, a blend of Sir Walter Raleigh and the Black Cavendish (which sounds like a movie, doesn't it? "Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland in Sir Walter Raleigh and the Black Cavendish"). A half bowl in a Butz-Choquin bent brandy that I think I picked up at Tinder Box in about 1985 made for a nice 20-minute smoke before dinner.

A blend of Sir Walter Raleigh and my mystery chocolate-maple blend in a Savinelli sandblasted "Long John" model (well, that's what the box says!):

IMG_20210226_164139_4CS.jpg

Since it has a box and a satin-like slip with it, I suppose I must have bought it at a store, Tinder Box or maybe an independent place. The shank is a good 4 inches long. The stem, like that of my other Savinelli, the billiard, is badly oxidized -- it looks almost green in sunlight. It smokes well, though my mix did get a little warm after 25 minutes.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A blend of Sir Walter Raleigh and my mystery chocolate-maple blend in a Savinelli sandblasted "Long John" model (well, that's what the box says!):

View attachment 1228855

Since it has a box and a satin-like slip with it, I suppose I must have bought it at a store, Tinder Box or maybe an independent place. The shank is a good 4 inches long. The stem, like that of my other Savinelli, the billiard, is badly oxidized -- it looks almost green in sunlight. It smokes well, though my mix did get a little warm after 25 minutes.
If you want to de-oxidize your stems, it is quite easy. Just soak in a solution of Oxy Clean for a few hours then polish with 1k or 1.5k wet dry sand paper. If you want to go the extra mile continue with a polishing wheel and white paste then wax. Just a thought.

Top Bottom