What's new

Blade “chatter” - what does this mean?

I am a long-time daily DE shaver, have collected and shaved with more than 300+ razors, and keep a light touch on the grip, and have heard gents talk about but have never felt 'blade chatter'. Maybe I'm lucky...

Interesting.. I find I can have a conversation w/ the r41 its such a chatterbox! And I think most of the conversation is us being ornery w/ each other ;(

I have some razors that hold the blade in such a way that it allows it to vibrate while shaving and depending on the form of that razors head, some produce a resonance. For my hair and skin type, blade vibration leads to a bad shave result.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have a couple of ideas I'd like to share.

Not the ideas yet but a bit of a conversation around the circumstances that brought us here. I stand to be corrected, but for me if I search the term blade chatter on this site I see it appearing in the 2nd quarter of 2020. Badger and Blade has been around since 2006. I joined in 2008. I've seen some ideas about things come and go over that time. Is anybody still doing "super lather"? I may be wrong but it seemed to me this was mostly using more product to make more lather . . . but this is just my opinion.

So here we are. If I'm right, nobody talked about chatter for 12 years. Does chatter exist? Well for the folk talking about it here it most likely does. I think the person who posted the picture of the reed in the Saxophone or Clarinet was making a point. Much like the Galloping Gertie Tacoma bridge collapse vibrations . . . standing wave driving vibrations in the natural frequency yada yada . . . . you can likely overcome the problem of "blade chatter" by changing the speed of your stroke. Indeed I've seen comments in this thread to that effect.

With straight shaving I've noted that it takes a fairly confident stroke . . . but which I mean at a speed that is not hesitant . . . or you get caught up. Imagine cutting down a tree with an axe. What progress would you make if you place the axe on the bark of the tree and press up against it? I'd wager the answer is not much. It takes a bit of speed.

Does this make any sense to you?

I'm not going to avoid any of the razors that have been mentioned in this thread. This is a personal decision . . . my daily driver razor has been for years a Merkur 38C.

Blade chattering is a very minute vibration usually felt when shaving tough whiskers. I can be felt in the razor's head on some razors.

I suggest it can be cured by one shim placed under (or over) the working blade, not to alter the razor's gap and aggressiveness, but to make the mating of the blade and the razor's head more solid when tightening down the head securely. Blade chatter may be more common in TTO razors than in three-piece razors.

In contrast and in my experience, of my approximately 40 DE razors probably the most solid would be the Merkur Futur, even though it has a snap-on cap that one might think would be prone to blade chatter.

I've used hundreds of razors during 5,000+ DE shaves over 14 years. I've never felt "chatter." I usually tune out when people start referring to it.

Either
A: I'm lucky
or
B: it's attributable to technique in some way.

Maybe my steep angle mitigates it?? No idea.
C: you are blessed with a light beard (thin hair and sparse growth) and a single WTG pass leaves your face BBS 😜

Sometimes the blade doesnt get clamped tightly and has some play, so it “vibrates” on the skin. I believe that is what chatter refers to. Usually results in nicks or irritated skin

I wonder if this is what Happens with my Gillette slim. Sometimes I get an odd feeling pass during a shave. Much different feel than my merkur. The 34 has a more “solid” feel to it.

Take a lid to a tin can and pit it in a vice about 3/4 of it clamped. Take a toothpick and flick the edge of the blade. Note the sound. Scale it down to blade and whisker size and imagine 50 toothpicks flicking and minute vibration that accompanies it.

I have decently sensitive hearing due a side effect of having Tinnitus. On razors that let the blade have more flex I can hear it and feel it. It doesn't contribute to a good shave for me. You may not hear/feel it, no big deal.

The worst blade chatter that i've ever experienced came from the Ming Shi 2000S and the Yaqi SE Katana, which I sold almost immediately after a few shaves with different blades and the results were pretty much the same. Horrible razors! I do get a very small amount of chatter from using my Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty 109, Merkur Progress and a few others, but it doesn't affect the shave at all and I like how they shave. The way I test every new razor I get is to put a blade in it and tighten the handle and then try to bend the blade with a fingernail. If I manage to do it very easy, then I would most certainly feel a blade chatter while shaving.

Agreed, the same can be said about the statement that it takes ultra, mega, super skill to shave with very mild razors and that shaving with very aggressive/efficient razor is for those with sloppy skills and techniques and it's not that hard at all. For instance, I know a guy who shaves with a disposable cartridge razors and he doesn't even use a lubricant on his face while shaving and he doesn't have any problems at all, but that doesn't mean that his skills are amazing or anything. Or that some people can shave their necks ATG with ease and even perform multiple passes without any irritations or cuts. If your face doesn't allow certain things, even if your skills are on par with mr. Miyagi, you will still get bad results.
Same here. I got blade chatter with mingshi 2000s and immediately sold it!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I would say blade chatter is a result of a mismatch between beard type, razor/blade, and technique. I dare say there are razors that I could get a noisy and unpleasant "vibrating blade" shave from, but I would generally be looking to refine/evolve my technique so it doesn't happen, rather than just blame the kit (contradictions ahead though).

For example, my primary razor is an Edwin Jagger DE3D14, a razor which many would say is prone to chatter. It doesn't chatter for me, as I use it in a way that works well for my beard. Maybe if I used it another way, I might be able to get an uncomfortable "shouty" shave... but unsurprisingly, I have no interest whatsoever in pursuing that.

That said, some razors may require more compromise in technique, than a user is willing to make. I can get a pleasant shave with my IKon SBS head... which I have just been too lazy to get rid of... but my handling feels so contrived and awkward trying to make it both close and comfortable, that I never use it. Likewise, I couldn't get a comfortable shave with a Fatip Grande and my usual blades. That wasn't chatter though, it felt more like it was the wrong blade angle for my beard (and yes, probably technique). I wasn't too lazy to dispose of that one... I got rid pretty quick!

So some folks blame beard, some say the razor, and others say it's all about technique. The fairest summary though, is they either all work well together, or they don't. You can't change your beard, but you can change razor and technique. Which a users prefers to change, is their personal choice.

I would say blade chatter is a result of a mismatch between beard type, razor/blade, and technique. I dare say there are razors that I could get a noisy and unpleasant "vibrating blade" shave from, but I would generally be looking to refine/evolve my technique so it doesn't happen, rather than just blame the kit (contradictions ahead though).

For example, my primary razor is an Edwin Jagger DE3D14, a razor which many would say is prone to chatter. It doesn't chatter for me, as I use it in a way that works well for my beard. Maybe if I used it another way, I might be able to get an uncomfortable "shouty" shave... but unsurprisingly, I have no interest whatsoever in pursuing that.

That said, some razors may require more compromise in technique, than a user is willing to make. I can get a pleasant shave with my IKon SBS head... which I have just been too lazy to get rid of... but my handling feels so contrived and awkward trying to make it both close and comfortable, that I never use it. Likewise, I couldn't get a comfortable shave with a Fatip Grande and my usual blades. That wasn't chatter though, it felt more like it was the wrong blade angle for my beard (and yes, probably technique). I wasn't too lazy to dispose of that one... I got rid pretty quick!

So some folks blame beard, some say the razor, and others say it's all about technique. The fairest summary though, is they either all work well together, or they don't. You can't change your beard, but you can change razor and technique. Which a users prefers to change, is their personal choice.
You are right!

The more "audible" your blade is while shaving, even WTG, that is blade chatter. I use Wilkinson Sword(G) blades in my Parker 91R, and they are smooth, and give me a great shave. Now, if I use the Parker blades, which seem to be thinner than the Wilkies, I "hear" the blade the entire shave cutting my whiskers. The Wilkie is much more muted.. Not that the Parker blade is a bad shave, but it is noisy...

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The more "audible" your blade is while shaving, even WTG, that is blade chatter. I use Wilkinson Sword(G) blades in my Parker 91R, and they are smooth, and give me a great shave. Now, if I use the Parker blades, which seem to be thinner than the Wilkies, I "hear" the blade the entire shave cutting my whiskers. The Wilkie is much more muted.. Not that the Parker blade is a bad shave, but it is noisy...
That is not my understanding of chatter which to me is blade vibration rather than audible feedback. I view chatter as caused by an improperly clamped blade either due to poor design or poor blade insertion. It is possible to have razor with significant audible feedback but which does not chatter, and likewise a silent razor which does. Chatter is generally regarded as a negative whereas audible feedback is seen by many as a positive. Perhaps I misunderstand.

That is not my understanding of chatter which to me is blade vibration rather than audible feedback. I view chatter as caused by an improperly clamped blade either due to poor design or poor blade insertion. It is possible to have razor with significant audible feedback but which does not chatter, and likewise a silent razor which does. Chatter is generally regarded as a negative whereas audible feedback is seen by many as a positive. Perhaps I misunderstand.
The blade will not give audible feedback if it is properly clamped together or stabilized, is my understanding. So audible feedback means the blade has room to vibrate or chatter.

The blade will not give audible feedback if it is properly clamped together or stabilized, is my understanding. So audible feedback means the blade has room to vibrate or chatter.
That is my understanding. Even though clamped snuggly, the amount of audible vibration is dependent on the razor, and where it clamps the blade. My Parker 91R clamps the blade about an 1/8 inch from the edge of the blade. Lots of room to "chatter". Wilkinson Swords(G), are not too audible on this razor, but Parker Platinums are noisy, but still a decent shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Chatter has to do with vibration of blade possibly not clamped properly is the general thought from my take of blade chatter.
But it seems ironically that a few manufactures made vibrating razors & the most recent is Gillette cartridge razor(I have one) and Stahly manufactured a high end vibrating razor you wind-up and you had about 1 minute of vibration before winding it up again for next pass.

Stahly live blade.2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

That is my understanding. Even though clamped snuggly, the amount of audible vibration is dependent on the razor, and where it clamps the blade. My Parker 91R clamps the blade about an 1/8 inch from the edge of the blade. Lots of room to "chatter". Wilkinson Swords(G), are not too audible on this razor, but Parker Platinums are noisy, but still a decent shave.
Then I suppose thickness of these blades may differ! Thinner blades vibrate more.

Chatter has to do with vibration of blade possibly not clamped properly is the general thought from my take of blade chatter.
But it seems ironically that a few manufactures made vibrating razors & the most recent is Gillette cartridge razor(I have one) and Stahly manufactured a high end vibrating razor you wind-up and you had about 1 minute of vibration before winding it up again for next pass.

View attachment 1455388
Have some great shaves!
I’ve learned about a new razor today, thanks. Definitely an interesting one. An additional search provided some really cool details and even a blueprint. Thanks for sharing!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a couple of ideas I'd like to share.

Not the ideas yet but a bit of a conversation around the circumstances that brought us here. I stand to be corrected, but for me if I search the term blade chatter on this site I see it appearing in the 2nd quarter of 2020. Badger and Blade has been around since 2006. I joined in 2008. I've seen some ideas about things come and go over that time. Is anybody still doing "super lather"? I may be wrong but it seemed to me this was mostly using more product to make more lather . . . but this is just my opinion.

So here we are. If I'm right, nobody talked about chatter for 12 years. Does chatter exist? Well for the folk talking about it here it most likely does. I think the person who posted the picture of the reed in the Saxophone or Clarinet was making a point. Much like the Galloping Gertie Tacoma bridge collapse vibrations . . . standing wave driving vibrations in the natural frequency yada yada . . . . you can likely overcome the problem of "blade chatter" by changing the speed of your stroke. Indeed I've seen comments in this thread to that effect.

With straight shaving I've noted that it takes a fairly confident stroke . . . but which I mean at a speed that is not hesitant . . . or you get caught up. Imagine cutting down a tree with an axe. What progress would you make if you place the axe on the bark of the tree and press up against it? I'd wager the answer is not much. It takes a bit of speed.

Does this make any sense to you?

I'm not going to avoid any of the razors that have been mentioned in this thread. This is a personal decision . . . my daily driver razor has been for years a Merkur 38C.
Our youngest son.. the one who got me into Traditional Wet Shaving 3 months ago now.. loves his 38C. He loves the way it shaves and the fact that's it's a two piece razor. He gave me a Lupo DE Aluminum.... but I didn't seem to get along with the Lupo and ended up with an ESC Claymore Evolution... thicker AC blade... well clamped... needless to say, I haven't experienced any chattering. <eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife loves listening to me shaving.... She can hear the audio feedback and it's a pleasant sound to her... This from outside the bathroom while she's sitting on the bed. I enjoy it too.... both her enjoyment and my own when I hear my razor "sing".... <eg>

Top Bottom