What's new

Show me your smoker set up

I have the WSM 22. My wife got it for me for Christmas back in 2013 and love it.
Here are some pics of pork belly burnt ends that I made for 4th of July.
IMG_6533.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gents and ladies alike,

My wife surprised me on Christmas morning with a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5. I was honestly stunned. I’ve always wanted one but it was just an after thought. I’ve been watching youtube videos like crazy, mostly T-Roy Cooks. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but I’ve ordered wood chunks (mesquite and hickory 4 lbs bags), a compact chimney starter and snagged a bag of kingsford blue charcoal. (That‘s what my dad always uses and that’s what I’ll be using.) There’s a few other goodies I’ll be picking up, but I’d like a decent thermometer with probes to measure temps on the grate, as well as the meat I’ll be cooking- so suggestions welcome. (Also, I’m in Canada, so some items may not be available here.)

I’d love to see your set ups.

Here she is. Assembled as soon as I opened it.

View attachment 1202047
God bless you guys that can run these R2D2 smokers. I do way to much drinkin when smokin meat. I had one, but couldn’t stay on top of it, way to much temperature fluctuations when football and alcohol is introduced into the equation. After killing a Traeger last year, the wife bought me another for Christmas. It’s a bit emasculating compared to some of the setups you boys are runnin, but it works for a lazy SOB like me.
E69E2B64-4965-449B-A2FD-5EFDCD9A5E10.jpeg

God bless you guys that can run these R2D2 smokers. I do way to much drinkin when smokin meat. I had one, but couldn’t stay on top of it, way to much temperature fluctuations when football and alcohol is introduced into the equation. After killing a Traeger last year, the wife bought me another for Christmas. It’s a bit emasculating compared to some of the setups you boys are runnin, but it works for a lazy SOB like me.
View attachment 1208261

I highly recommend a thermometer that comes with a free phone app. I figured out yesterday I can set max and min temp alarms that set off my phone if I drop below or go above the desired temps.
My first smoke I was running in and out of the house non stop. Yesterday I think I was outside twice. In between I can kick back and watch hockey or football and play with my kids.

Just upgraded my WSM with a stainless steel door yesterday. It’s a bit more snug and should offer a bit more heat retention.

Attachments

• C6823021-5C07-405F-953B-09BC289D8DF6.jpeg
    C6823021-5C07-405F-953B-09BC289D8DF6.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
I can see I might want to
update. Consodering whether I can pull off a leg of lamb in this in the 30°s.

I cleaned up the thermometer dial recently. Maybe 22 years old? It is old enough to drink, but to be honest, it was often fed beer in it’s infancy, even.

Like me.

FCDCBECB-90EA-488B-9513-30B7828FA6EE.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2F3DFD3C-F6E0-4C9A-8670-FA48684C61F0.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Here’s my Old Country (I can’t remember the model.) After owning a pit with the fire box on the side for years I really like this design with the firebox in the back. To me it seems to get a much more even heating throughout the pit. For some reason I can’t find any pics of the briskets I’ve done on it. It’ll hold 2 16-18lb briskets easily. These pics are from when it was brand new and I was doing the 1st “seasoning burn” in it.
150AE7A0-1F83-4EA9-A273-96E2373D66D1.jpeg
46CB8D36-ABB9-4BEF-8DFB-BC589D703430.jpeg

Well I’m officially hooked on this method of cooking. So much so that I have purchased another tool for my arsenal. Weber’s Summit Kamado. Should be arriving this week, I hope.
278C560A-9CD6-4684-8D88-1C8E1E01316A.jpeg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Well I’m officially hooked on this method of cooking. So much so that I have purchased another tool for my arsenal. Weber’s Summit Kamado. Should be arriving this week, I hope.

I'm a sucker for Weber products. Let us know how it performs.

Top Bottom