What's new

Razorock Hawk V3 in stainless steel

Razorock Hawk SS V3. This is a real good shaver. It’s not heavy on blade feel nor does it need to be to perform at a high level. It’s comfy, smooth and nicely efficient. I think sometimes we get lost in the thought that if we don’t hear whisker cutting music, that a particular razor just isn’t a good performer. For some that might be the case as hair growth and thickness can determine for one through trial usage what’s their best performing razor for their needs. Other times it’s user error in employing improper technique and not giving a razor a few shaves to evaluate its pros & cons. The RR Hawk SS V3 I think gets a bit of a sour rap because users say there is no blade feel and performance is lacking. I think it delivers a very nice shave especially when one compares it to its predecessors and a few other competitors which need not be mentioned. I like it better over the Hawk DLC as it feels smoother yet cuts more efficiently. I think it’s a great deal for anyone who wants to get in to the AC razor style format. Great quality, excellent alloy (316/316L SS) from a solid vendor who offers a tool at such an affordable price tag. Grab a plate or two and a couple of AC blade variations and it’s more than capable in giving great daily shaves....

View attachment 1195672
I concur.

After having some initial dilemma whether to pick the Hawk v3 or not, this video "pushed" me over the proverbial edge:

Mine is a standard base and I use Feather's Pro Super in it. As always anyone's MMV. Personally I find this combo to work excellent. On a 1-10 scale, I'd rate the aggressiveness about 6-6.5 (using the Supers), which for me is truly a sweet spot. It shaves very close, yet it's mild. Very nice face feel. For the money, I couldn't think of a better SE razor.

I like the smaller head compared to previous versions of Hawk, it provides excellent maneuverability. The razor is nimble and I find the weight ideal. Again, this is the YMMV case, as some people like heavy, some like light-weight. This is a solid middle ground. The fit and finish are great. After all, it's a tool, not a piece of jewelry. I've got a Bulldog handle, and the grip is excellent.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve been using the V3OC a bit lately and have been happily surprised at how close of a shave it gives with a single with-the-grain pass.

It’s not as close as a single against-the-grain pass with the same razor, but the alum block isn’t tattling too bad on me anymore.

I’ve been using the V3OC a bit lately and have been happily surprised at how close of a shave it gives with a single with-the-grain pass.

It’s not as close as a single against-the-grain pass with the same razor, but the alum block isn’t tattling too bad on me anymore.
IMHO, IME, no razor is going to be as close WTG, as ATG... if it were, why would we shave ATG for that ultimate BBS.

I don't use alum, no need for it. I prefer just an A/S, with occasional moisturizer when needed.

What blades have you been using with your Hawk? Any preference, comments on that...?

thombrogan

IMHO, IME, no razor is going to be as close WTG, as ATG...

Agreed. I had gone months skipping WTG as it didn’t seem to “do anything” unless I spent excess time buffing and then still had more work to do anyways. I normally do an ATG pass and some cleanup, but if I don’t wait one or days between shaves, my technique chews up my face. And if I wait two or more days between shaves, my stubble chews up my neck anyways. At least with this here Hawk V3OC and my Fatip Grande DE (every Grande’s different, though…).

So I found one WTG pass has been doing well. Just short of BBS on upper lip and just short of intolerable on neck.

What blades have you been using with your Hawk?

Schick Proline P series. Only others I’ve tried are Kai P!nk Mild and Vincent PSI. Not enough experience with the Kai and the Vincent PSI delivers up to one good shave.

Agreed. I had gone months skipping WTG as it didn’t seem to “do anything” unless I spent excess time buffing and then still had more work to do anyways. I normally do an ATG pass and some cleanup, but if I don’t wait one or days between shaves, my technique chews up my face. And if I wait two or more days between shaves, my stubble chews up my neck anyways. At least with this here Hawk V3OC and my Fatip Grande DE (every Grande’s different, though…).

So I found one WTG pass has been doing well. Just short of BBS on upper lip and just short of intolerable on neck.

Schick Proline P series. Only others I’ve tried are Kai P!nk Mild and Vincent PSI. Not enough experience with the Kai and the Vincent PSI delivers up to one good shave.
Just out of curiosity - any particular reason why you're fixated on a 1-pass shave?

I mean, what's wrong with the traditional "gradual hair removal" approach, consisting of WTG, XTG and ATG...?

Why do a single pass only?

thombrogan

Why do a single pass only?

ATG single pass is a one-and-done endeavor and WTG single pass is active recovery from months of daily ATG single passes where only a few went right before my ambitions got the best of me.

They started as WTG followed by XTG but I kept getting weepers and alum sting and became two WTG passes with less oopsings and mad there way to one WTG pass with maybe some ATG cleanup on the throat.

ATG single pass is a one-and-done endeavor and WTG single pass is active recovery from months of daily ATG single passes where only a few went right before my ambitions got the best of me.

They started as WTG followed by XTG but I kept getting weepers and alum sting and became two WTG passes with less oopsings and mad there way to one WTG pass with maybe some ATG cleanup on the throat.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but unless you have some extraordinary skin condition or out-of-this world-sensitive skin, then it's simply your technique.

There is absolutely no reason, none whatsoever to not be able to shave properly, which is 2-4 passes to achieve smooth, silky BBS with zero irritation.

if I were you, I'd forget about this nonsense of 1-pass shave, as that IS the reason your face is irritated and soar.

Learn the proper technique - WTG, XTG and you can stop there. If you want the BBS, then ultra carefully ATG.

thombrogan

Well, I hate to break it to you, but unless you have some extraordinary skin condition or out-of-this world-sensitive skin, then it's simply your technique.

Completely poor technique on my part. Too much pressure, too often for doing it wrong, with too loose a grip (matters more ATG than WTG or XTG), and usually at too extreme of an angle.

if I were you, I'd forget about this nonsense of 1-pass shave, as that IS the reason your face is irritated and soar.

It’s doing better now and I expect to be back to standard, multi-pass shaves soon. For now, though, every shave with this Hawk V3OC is more comfortable than the last.

I have a Windsor SE1, and a regular SE2. Not in love with the SE2, I'll say that, but it's a great razor. I just haven't found a blade that I can use in it.

Stay tuned. I'll return to the V3OC probably in a couple of weeks.

O.H.
Hawk OC vs. SE2 is what I'm interested in and I may invest in a Hawk OC to find out for myself. I am at the other side with the SE2 though. I love it and it is what I measure all other ACs against. So far the Vector and Hawk SB (V2 I think) did not measure up and are gone. Both were just too mild, although the new Vector OC may warrant a try as the small head and overall quality are pluses. I do still use an Asylum RX. I don't like it as much as the SE2, but much better than the others mentioned.

I'm absurdly excited about the imminent arrival of my V3 OC. Not a 'needed' razor - I'm pretty happy with my V2 RR Hawk - but with all the positive reviews on here I decided to treat myself. May be selling or gifting the V2 at some point soon!

I'm absurdly excited about the imminent arrival of my V3 OC. Not a 'needed' razor - I'm pretty happy with my V2 RR Hawk - but with all the positive reviews on here I decided to treat myself. May be selling or gifting the V2 at some point soon!
PLS share your thoughts, impressions once you get to use the OC. I'd love to learn more about it Vs. the SB.

PLS share your thoughts, impressions once you get to use the OC. I'd love to learn more about it Vs. the SB.

My V3 arrived yesterday. It's the OC baseplate with the standard knurled HD handle. Initial impressions are good. The tooling and finishing is first class, I'd believe anyone if they'd said this razor cost twice as much. Really quality razor, with a lovely heft.

First head shave done today. I used a Schick Proline (IMO the smoothest of the standard-width AC blades); soap was my current favourite, La Toja; brush was a Razorock 400 Plissoft. The razor was the only difference in what I use as normal, so as to eliminate any other variables. Prep, process all identical.

Wow. This thing is fast, I tend to do a one or two pass shave with a safety razor, generally two. This required one pass with minor touching up. I collected two small weepers - one a casualty of the last shave I did that got reopened, the other a tiny dot where I may have used a bit too much pressure. This razor only needs a very light touch!

Alum afterward was comfortable, as was AS. I held off using moisturiser as I wanted to see how the skin felt in the coming hours - everything still feels awesome 4 hours later.

I'm not particularly adept at safety razor shaving as I tend to use my Feather AC SS most of the time. I don't know much about traditional razors in general and only have real experience with the Hawk V2, so take my review with that in mind. But happy as I was with the V2, the V3 hits it for six.

My V3 arrived yesterday. It's the OC baseplate with the standard knurled HD handle. Initial impressions are good. The tooling and finishing is first class, I'd believe anyone if they'd said this razor cost twice as much. Really quality razor, with a lovely heft.

First head shave done today. I used a Schick Proline (IMO the smoothest of the standard-width AC blades); soap was my current favourite, La Toja; brush was a Razorock 400 Plissoft. The razor was the only difference in what I use as normal, so as to eliminate any other variables. Prep, process all identical.

Wow. This thing is fast, I tend to do a one or two pass shave with a safety razor, generally two. This required one pass with minor touching up. I collected two small weepers - one a casualty of the last shave I did that got reopened, the other a tiny dot where I may have used a bit too much pressure. This razor only needs a very light touch!

Alum afterward was comfortable, as was AS. I held off using moisturiser as I wanted to see how the skin felt in the coming hours - everything still feels awesome 4 hours later.

I'm not particularly adept at safety razor shaving as I tend to use my Feather AC SS most of the time. I don't know much about traditional razors in general and only have real experience with the Hawk V2, so take my review with that in mind. But happy as I was with the V2, the V3 hits it for six.
Great review, tnx! 👍👍😊

Just bought another unneeded razor!![emoji2959]

Had an aluminum Hawk and sold
It. Hoping the SS is a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suspect that it will be for you. I had the AlumiHawk, and found it very efficient, quite a good shaver, just rarely reached for. I'd been hoping to try the SS version for awhile. I found a good deal on the 'bay, with both CC and OC.

Excellent! I like them very much. Subtly different handling, and a bit (subjective) more blade feel. The OC is toothier, but not terribly so.

I suspect that it will be for you. I had the AlumiHawk, and found it very efficient, quite a good shaver, just rarely reached for. I'd been hoping to try the SS version for awhile. I found a good deal on the 'bay, with both CC and OC.

Excellent! I like them very much. Subtly different handling, and a bit (subjective) more blade feel. The OC is toothier, but not terribly so.

Received my new SS Hawk. It’s the SB variety. Loaded with a fresh Proline.

3 days growth mowed down efficiency, no nicks, no weepers, BBS

This is probably a keeper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thombrogan

Used my RazoRock Hawk V3OC a few weeks ago to shave my head for the first time. A few months of growth and no experience shaving my head. Many Charlie Brown references led the hair to grow back.

Used it again last night for regular shavifying and it made me realize it’s my favorite.

Used my RazoRock Hawk V3OC a few weeks ago to shave my head for the first time. A few months of growth and no experience shaving my head. Many Charlie Brown references led the hair to grow back.

Used it again last night for regular shavifying and it made me realize it’s my favorite.

It's a great razor. It saved my bacon the other day when I was preparing to go to a family funeral. Had very little time to shave the head and it did a fine job in very short order - only needed the Feather for beard lines and some minor touching up. Don't get me wrong it can bite. But with very light pressure and shallow angle it shaves like nothing else I've used. Very happy with it.

Top Bottom