What's new

Which Personna Is This?

These blades came with my Blackland Dart razor. They are individually wrapped in plain white wrappers. I regularly use the Personna Israeli Reds. Since these obviously are made in the USA, they aren't those nor are they the new German made Personna blades. They don't look like the Lab Blues that I ahve bought in the past either. Are they just Lab Blues with new graphics?

1614026475963.png

I just heard from Shane at Blackland Razors. They are indeed Personna Lab Blues with new graphics.
Probably the new laser etching. Believe it or not, people were complaining about the smudged ink on the blades being unreadable from the old equipment: there were Amazon reviewers worried that they were counterfeit.

Personna changes packaging, blade wrapping, and blade etching/stamping all the time. The only (and maybe formerly) reliable indicator of Lab Blue is the Made in the USA marking. Only Lab Blues and Med Preps are made in the USA. The price difference and markings make Med Preps obvious.

The Lab Blues are a very nice blade. The Med Preps are similar.

I would love for the companies behind the Personna brand to present a clearer marketing message; they confuse everyone which can't be good.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I like the Personna Lab Blues. Smooth and sharp. Hope you have a good experience with them. I'm sure the new Blackland razor will impress.

This morning I switched from the Israeli Red Personna blades in my new Dart to the Lab Blue pictured at the top of this thread. I was very surprised in how much harsher the Lab Blue was. It was so uncomfortable that midway through the first pass I switched back to a new Israeli Red. I'll try again with the Lab Blue in a different razor, but I'll be surprised if they become one of my preferred blades, which currently include Israeli Red Personna, Gillette Platinum, Feather and Bic Platinum Chrome.

This morning I switched from the Israeli Red Personna blades in my new Dart to the Lab Blue pictured at the top of this thread. I was very surprised in how much harsher the Lab Blue was. It was so uncomfortable that midway through the first pass I switched back to a new Israeli Red. I'll try again with the Lab Blue in a different razor, but I'll be surprised if they become one of my preferred blades, which currently include Israeli Red Personna, Gillette Platinum, Feather and Bic Platinum Chrome.

I've never had a good shave with a Lab Blue, in any razor. The Israeli reds are much better, but still not as good as my favorite blades. Blades are weird though, everyone has their blade(s)!

I've never had a good shave with a Lab Blue, in any razor. The Israeli reds are much better, but still not as good as my favorite blades. Blades are weird though, everyone has their blade(s)!
Since we agree about the Lab Blues, I'm curious as to what are your favorite blades.

Since we agree about the Lab Blues, I'm curious as to what are your favorite blades.

I’m a big fan of Russian made Gillette blades. Silver Blue, Permasharp, Nacet, 7 o’clock Green. They’re all a little different, but all get the job done leaving my face smooth and free of redness/irritation. ☺

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have these they call comfort coated.
personna-comfort-coated-blades__70998.1495373139.190.250.jpg

They have never given me a shave that didn't end in blood loss although I love the platinum and med prep. No I have no idea if these are the same blades we are talking about here, but they could be. I actually think that the confusion may be deliberate because if you get a bad shave you really don't know which Personna blade did it.

Lab Blues are my standard blade. I like them better than the Reds. I get 3 weeks (21 shaves) from them. My current blade might go 28.

I had a similar experience with the first lab blue blade included with my Blackland Tradere SB some months ago. As I became familiar with the razor I gave the lab blue another chance. It wasn’t too long until I bought 100 more lab blues.

Changing too many things at once can lead to avoiding a good product. My advice would be to learn your new razor’s best angle and touch with one of your top blades and after you are comfortable and getting consistently good shaves try the lab blue again keeping everything else the same. You may or may not feel differently after this but you will know for sure if the lab blue could be a blade for you.

I had a similar experience with the first lab blue blade included with my Blackland Tradere SB some months ago. As I became familiar with the razor I gave the lab blue another chance. It wasn’t too long until I bought 100 more lab blues.

Changing too many things at once can lead to avoiding a good product. My advice would be to learn your new razor’s best angle and touch with one of your top blades and after you are comfortable and getting consistently good shaves try the lab blue again keeping everything else the same. You may or may not feel differently after this but you will know for sure if the lab blue could be a blade for you.
I have used lab blues before, but not the ones with the new graphics. In theory the blades should be the same. Truth be told, I never liked them much back then.

I do get your point about combining a new razor and a new blade. My plan is to put that lab blue in my Rocca - a razor I'm quite accustomed to using. If I like it there I'll try lab blues in the Dart sometime in the future. If not I'll have to find someone who wants a few lab blue blades.

Top Bottom