What's new

ID help

Gentlemen,
Can anyone help me identify this razor? Any additional ideas are welcome! Thanks!
A57E644C-2FDF-471D-B5D5-B8E88E5702D0.png
29D09EAA-29CA-4ACB-B029-0C92BF2CDCDE.png
AE0C3666-553D-4A42-B07B-08748121C276.png

R

romsitsa

Hard to say, most likely a Gillette clone.
Case could be a late Gillette pocket case, blade box is a "fake", the razors head could be an early (wide shoulder) Tuckaway/Milady, but the stamps doesn't look like Gillette ones, the handle is based on the Tuckaway handle, but is longer.

Case could be a late Gillette pocket case, blade box is a "fake", the razors head could be an early (wide shoulder) Tuckaway/Milady, but the stamps doesn't look like Gillette ones, the handle is based on the Tuckaway handle, but is longer.

The level of knowledge gathered here at B&B never ceases to amaze me. Thank you, @romsitsa

I will also add, the pins in the cap are not correct for a tuck away. Definitely a knock off/clone. It is based on a fantastic razor, so will be curious to hear how it shaves. On a positive note, it looks far better made than most clones/knock offs from that era.

The issues isn't with the shape, but the length of the pins. These are too short.

I'm still really interested in the shave of this razor, as while it's a clone/knock off.....it still looks really well made.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I’m with the other members and think it is a clone. Still a nice looking razor though.

I'll borrow from Yogi Berra, first: "Baseball is 90 percent mental; the other half is physical."

Guilty as charged: I love the 90% mental part of this game. I'm not even trying to fool myself into believing that (in my case) going the minimalist path would be a rational decision.

Now, paraphrasing Gertrude Stein, "a clone is a clone is a clone" and that puts me off a bit (again, nothing rational about it - in my case).

I'm not buying it, then. And won't be able to tell how it shaves. Sorry about that.

However...!

There's another one I found on the same site (again, it's a Brazilian site, and the sellers usually deal in general "antiques", no particular focus on razors).

This guy is listing the razor as an "extremely rare German razor", no manufacturer's ID and a "Solinger blade".

Do you know what this is?

1614086061703.png

1614086033315.png

1614086084065.png

1614086098484.png

Top Bottom