What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Soap: Cella
Razor: Modified Gold Dollar
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Straight shave #26

Started to feel a little scratchy towards the end, and got a few weepers/some irritation. This was sort of expected, as this shave was to get better at face lathering Cella. Haven't had much luck with it when using a straight, although with DE I find it divine. Just gotta get better at dialing it in. Some of the irritation is certainly brush burn.

You know what though, the Osage Rub feels incredibly soothing. I'm unsure about its actual healing qualities but it sure feels good.

6/10

Leisurely two-pass, plus some clean up, Sunday shave, 9+/10, very close and comfy, no issues, just shy of perfect:

Razor: Feather DX Japanese style
Blade: Proline P-30 (3)
Brush: Vulfix 375 silvertip
Soap: MdC Nature
Post-shave: rinse, alum, rinse, Fine American Bland AS

May your brushes be soft, your lathers stay slick, and your shaves not hold any tricks! And, yes, in the pic my brush is balanced :001_rolle .

PXL_20210221_161739207.jpg

cartoon1603562607961.jpg

Razor: Schick C1 Magazine Repeating Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson's Duke 3 Sapphire Special Edition in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Brandy Spice
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.5

Razor: Ever-Ready - 1914 (Little Lather Catcher)
Blade: GEM - Carbon (3)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Red Tip Synthetic 26mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Green Tea Foam Cleanser
Lather: Officina Artigiana - Milano
Aftershave: Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Skin EX (Toner)
Additional Care:
Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Lotion EX
Ever-Ready - Automatic Stropper
CDB93EA8-4557-43F0-B278-8AEA0F8DD744.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Little Lather Catcher & Green Tea Party
My first shave with the Ever-Ready 1914 “Little Lather Catcher”. I gave the Carbon blade twenty whacks on the strop and went work. Some good, even toned, audible feedback on the first pass, but not anywhere near that of a Shovelhead. I really like the way I can feel what’s going on on the business end of this razor.
I would have to classify this as a BBS+shave. I ended up with a little bit of heat on my neck, but I was playing fast and loose, forgetting that I changed soaps today. I’ve been using the same slick Canada Shave Soap non stop for many shaves now, and was running the razor around like I was still using it today.

I’m also playing around with a new set of skin products. Innisfree (Korean) Green Tea Cleanser, Green Tea Balancing Toner and (not pictured) Green Tea Balancing Lotion that Amazon delivered just as I was cleaning up from my shave. I’m going to use these daily and see how my skin likes them. So far, so good.

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Treet Platinum (1)

Result :

Well I am still a green wet shaver and I have not shaved 2 days in a row for years , this morning in the shower I decided too. Looking at the few blade available in the drawer I grabbed the treet platinum. I never got a good shave with those, not sure why I decided to try again … Never Never again , bad shave bad result irritation all around … the remaining of the blade are toss out of the way with the barbaksol can. Oh well live and learn as for the rate 3 to be generous

Razor: Maggard open comb (Parker open comb head) with Maggard HD-style stainless handle.
Blade: Israeli Personna Red Platinum Chrome (4 and probably out)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 8.5

This morning's shave after three days of growth. Hard-fought BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, except for the Adam's Apple area. Three nicks and a lot of irritation under the nose and above the upper lip, where the blade seemed to just not be able to cut those whiskers, which are the toughest ones on my face and where the growth is most dense. Overall, today's shave felt like a lot of tugging, pulling, and scraping, instead of cutting, so I am probably tossing the blade.

Thanks to the excellent Mitchell's lather, I have no post-shave irritation; this salvaged the shave.

Like finding a $20 bill in last year's jacket pocket, I discovered a little container of Proraso Green shaving cream in a travel kit I haven't used in a long time! It's been ages since I used the stuff, even though I keep a bottle of the aftershave splash going most of the time. The scent of the cream was a real throwback, since it was the first thing I tried after decades of canned goo.

tempImage8O6aCE.jpg

Razor: Postwar ball end Tech
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Brush: Razorock Tricolore synthetic
Lather: Proraso Green
Aftershave splash: Proraso Green

The cream made such a quick lather compared to the soaps I've been using, and I love the eucalyptus scent. I think the cream and aftershave smell related, but not really the same. It's surprising just how different they are to me.

I took it easy today and just went for a comfortable shave instead of a super close one, and that's what I got. Nuff said!
8/10

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-Shave Oil
- The Real Shaving Company Age Defence Traditional Shave

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Hawkins & Brimble Elemi and Ginseng afteshave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- FaTip Special Edition (Gentile Head)
- Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (4)
- Edwin Jagger Small Silvertip Synthetic

Shave Rating: 9/10
Although it was just a quick single pass shave today I think (hoping) that it was a breakthrough shave with the FaTip. I've had quite a bit if irritation this week and after today I think its the angle I've been using with the FaTip. I think I've just naturally reverted to a steeper angle on my neck but today I think I got it right and managed to keep a shallow angle on my neck and I had no initial irritation and no feedback at all from the Alum. I tend to get irritation arriving the day after, so I'll find out tomorrow if attention to angle paid off!

Yesterday’s shave was great, using the Timeless SS SC .68, today’s shave was better. Same ease of shave just more efficient with a little feedback from blade, perfect combination.

Soap: Ethos Greenfresh
Blade: Personna Crystal (2)
Brush: Simpson’s Duke 2 Best, what a perfect brush.
Razor: Timeless Ti SB .95
Bowl: Captains Large Copper Bowl
Post shave: Lucky Tiger 🐅, topped off with Pinaud Clubman

Zero irritation, no sting at all from the Pinaud Clubman, perfectly smooth all over.

10/10
343679C0-29A7-44A1-A878-A1E5F139A807.jpeg

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Buck 39 Salient by Caleb Cooper - Matte Black G10​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White – Fan​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/h Aloe Vera​
Aftershave Balm: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, chamomile, shea butter, vitamin E​
9.2/10 A nice shave close shave....

Soap: Cella
Razor: Modified Gold Dollar
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Straight shave #26

Started to feel a little scratchy towards the end, and got a few weepers/some irritation. This was sort of expected, as this shave was to get better at face lathering Cella. Haven't had much luck with it when using a straight, although with DE I find it divine. Just gotta get better at dialing it in. Some of the irritation is certainly brush burn.

You know what though, the Osage Rub feels incredibly soothing. I'm unsure about its actual healing qualities but it sure feels good.

6/10
I remember the barber slapping just a small amount on Osage Rub on me when I was a kid. Liked it then, like it now.
Besides being an antiseptic I doubt it has any real healing properties for the skin. It might though. I don't know.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210221.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Schick Proline (2)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: TFS Rasozero - Barbacco
Aftershave: TFS Intense Line - Tabacum Crepito
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Superb Kit! Superb Shave! :cool:

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
- Razor: Like Grandpa Grooming (Karve B plate)
- Blade: Astra SS (3)
- Soap: Storybook/APR Carnivale
- Aftershave: Proraso White AS balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Excellent evening shave. I might start regularly shaving before bed. No stress, I can take my time and I have very little stubble in the AM. 👍

Who says a Chubby 2 synthetic can’t splay? It splays nicely for me. Maybe I got a good one!

I was lucky enough to stock up on a few different SBSW soaps and AS before they closed their doors but I use Carnivale sparingly as it is so good and I only have one tub left.

I am digging the Like Grandpa razor and as it is a Karve, I will be ordering a C and D plate and an OC B plate soon.

9.5/10

Micromatic Mon 22nd SOTD
Soap Stirling Ozark Mountain 1st Use 👍👍👍
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor GEM Junior
Blade GEM Stainless 13th use...👍👍👍 (not sure if a doing few strops on oxide-pasted linen followed by lather helps)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
This is a very nice & pleasant scented soap. The strength was a good medium off-puck and consistent throughout the shave. Nicely creamy and slick lather too.
Shave with razor paired with the well-used but still sharpish blade was amazingly smooth, comfortable, and quite efficient for 3passes without any issues. The result was mostly bbs to dfs. Excellent aftershave too. Very enjoyable SE shave session!
Rating 10/10!
20210222_101457.jpg

Prep: Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRX Shavette
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Indian Half Blade (D2)
Brush: Semogue SOC 2-Band Badger
Cream : Hawkins and Brimble Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse +Old Spice Original AS Lotion
Rating : 9.85/10

Very comfortable and nice BBS in 2.5 passes !

Top Bottom