What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Feb 20, headshave

Still in

Gillette New RFB
Schick Super Stainless (19)
Yaqi Tuxedo 28mm
Karo shaving cream
Nivea Protect & Care balm

IMG-2028.jpg

Still in!

Took my 85 year old mother cross country skiing today. We knocked out about 1.2 miles. Pretty good for a gal her age.

Same hardware as usual but used Seaforth! Heather soap (Spearhead reproduction) and PAA Mysterium Serum balm. The balm is nice but feels a little greasy to me.

I hope you’re all having a great weekend!

Still in!

Took my 85 year old mother cross country skiing today. We knocked out about 1.2 miles. Pretty good for a gal her age.

Same hardware as usual but used Seaforth! Heather soap (Spearhead reproduction) and PAA Mysterium Serum balm. The balm is nice but feels a little greasy to me.

I hope you’re all having a great weekend!

Good on her! Probably would put many of us to shame

I was a little nervous since she has a bad heart, artificial knees and some stroke related balance issues. When I was a teenager we’d ski for 20-30 miles together. She’s really wanted to go since the first snow. My sister finally brought her equipment down. I’m glad she did. We had a lot of fun even if the pace was slower and the distances were shorter.

Not to dwell on this in a shaving forum but now she’s wants to get a 3 wheel bike so we can bike together again in the spring. That was another thing we did when I was a kid and still lived with them. We did many century rides together. If that’s what she wants we’ll get her set up. Doubt we’ll have a 100 mile day though.

Last edited:
Still in,
Have been a bit time poor/lazy to take snaps of my setup, but I've been having great shaves without lusting for any other stuff.

For the last 4 days I've used Gillette New Deluxes (Big boy and common bar with 17mm guard plate), using Vintage Wilkinson Blades. This could be the best-ever combination for me, I get excellent ATG comfort, good efficiency and I enjoy the face feel of the OC guards. The Wilkie blades while sharp-enough are just so forgiving, comfortable and smooth.

Today's was a Chubby 1 in best, these work perfectly with SV soaps for face lathering. It's a bit of an underdog compared to my other Chubby 2 and 3 brushes, but little one is a lather monster and a delight to use.

21-Feb2.jpg

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, glycerine
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

I was only aiming for an easy DFS, but got better than that. The .68 game changer is good enough for the whole job on one day's growth, but feels almost as mild as the Rockwell R3 plate. I applied the ATG chin-shaving hints that I'd read in one of the other threads, to good effect.

I'm not sure if applying a couple of drops of glycerine as preshave made much of a difference. The idea was to improve hydration.

D9E14228-D78E-4AEE-AC38-C7AAFD7095F5.jpeg

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium SB / Smooth Top Cap
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (2)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” 26mm Silk Smoke
Lather: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Doppelgänger Black (Sauvage) CK-6
Aftershave: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Doppelgänger Black (Sauvage) Aftershave / Cologne
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Doppelgänger Black (Sauvage) Star Jelly Aftershave
Bowl: Timeless Lather Bowl
Additional Care: Omega Alum Stick

Still in.

Still in.
Razor: FOCS
Blade: PolSilver (3)
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Nor’easter
Great shave today. Wanted to try the FOCS again as I haven’t used it since I received my Karve for Christmas! Also this was the best lather I’ve had with this brush to date. I’ve been breaking in this brush and it keeps getting better! Tried the @Marco method today for the first time. I was thoroughly impressed! Thank you for sharing that technique with us!
1ADC428C-EA46-40FA-A908-80BA8EEAB2B2.jpeg

Top Bottom