What's new

What did you hone today?

Threw some Singer sewing machine oil onto my Black Ark for a change yesterday. There was a real improvement to the edge on my Filly over the usual soap and water routine. I’m really coming round to the idea of honing on oil. Great results.

Wostenholm & Son on a super fast and fine Okudo. Super smooth nice squidgee edge with just Atoma slurry.
2736BCE9-7B12-4631-81BC-510948D8320A.jpeg

Coticule touch up.

If you are struggling to get a good edge with your coticule. Try finishing on a few drops of mineral oil. This little trick has made all the difference for me. Sharp and smooth. A really nice edge. Washes off cleaning with dish soap and does not soak into the stone.

View attachment 1206411

I find a convenient way to use mineral oil for honing is to use Ballistol. It's 90% mineral oil with 10% oleic acid as surfactant. The Ballistol mixes with water, so it rinses off easily with water.

It also means I can dilute it with water, which makes it hone a bit faster if I wish.

I keep a squirt bottle with diluted Ballistol by the sink.

Batch work today. Two recent acquisitions, a Yasuki 100 6/8 full hollow and a Robeson 6/8 full hollow as well as my original razor, an Ontario Cutlery 4/8 1/2 hollow. All of these are fat bevels, around 19 degrees. Finished the stone progression today, they are marginally treetopping. I will take them to the pasted strops tomorrow.

View attachment 1196088

What is your progression? Looks like a dmt, four synths (maybe a Snow White in the middle?) and a black ark?

Good eye!
Diamond plate is only used for flattening (I think it is a 180 from CKTG)
2k Shapton Pro
5k Shapton Pro
8k Naniwa Snow White
ILR (no idea whether this is synth or natural, the mfg is pretty murky about that)
Black ark (lapped with 600 grit W/D and burnished through use).

Wolf and sheep playing in the mud
Ozuka koppa5+

Stone slurry only, had to keep diluting, diluting,,
Water only light strokes constant stream lots water to finish
First time using stone slurry only
Sharp and silky smooth then sharp, then silky sharp
This stone is amazing, hard muddy silky slurry
Just shaved , amazing
proxy.php

cleaned up the TI last night and some this morning then honed. ran on the 12k Kuromaku and then on to the Jnat Shobudani. as it turns out I had one fresh felt dremel disc left. this combined with Mothers metal polish is capable of removing the AOS logo with little effort.
20210220_115405.jpg

will dial her in to my liking over the next few days. really love the horn scales.

camo

cleaned up the TI last night and some this morning then honed. ran on the 12k Kuromaku and then on to the Jnat Shobudani. as it turns out I had one fresh felt dremel disc left. this combined with Mothers metal polish is capable of removing the AOS logo with little effort.

will dial her in to my liking over the next few days. really love the horn scales.

camo

Its looks much better without the cheesy logo.

Top Bottom