What's new

Vintage and unusual aftershaves: Post your photos

JB Williams era AV Ice Blue. I'm guessing it's from 2001/2002 due to the "2002 Monte Carlo" giveway on the cap. 2002 was the last year that AV was under JB Williams before being sold to Combe Inc.

AV5.JPG

Is this the same scent as my Yardley Black Label shown on the left of the image below? If so would you know an approximate date for my bottle, or for my other Yardley items? Thanks.

View attachment 1225983
Actually I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing. My Yardley Black Label set is from 1970, your Yardley Classic is from the 1960s. I'm not sure but I think your Black Label is a little more recent than mine. But I'm not sure.
Oh, p.s. to answer your question those two bottles of Yardley are different scents.

Last edited:
The Yardley Classic is lavender. It is quite different from Black Label. The best approximation of Black Label I have found is the original YSL. I love them all.
True. To my uneducated nose the Classic Yardley is a mostly lavender or very nearly so while Black Label is a much more "cologne type" fragrance.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The Yardley Classic is lavender. It is quite different from Black Label. The best approximation of Black Label I have found is the original YSL. I love them all.
Thank you, I was meaning if there was a difference between the @Mouser Black Label and my own Black Label, or if it was merely a change in packaging which seems to be the case. The Classic is clearly a different scent but I have never noticed lavender so out of curiosity I tried it again and you are right, it is lavender. I much prefer the Black Label myself, and would love to find it in cologne form.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Thank you, I was meaning if there was a difference between the @Mouser Black Label and my own Black Label, or if it was merely a change in packaging which seems to be the case. The Classic is clearly a different scent but I have never noticed lavender so out of curiosity I tried it again and you are right, it is lavender. I much prefer the Black Label myself, and would love to find it in cologne form.
I miss both, but I miss the Black Label more.

Again I failed to answer your question. No, there's no difference scent wise between my Black Label and yours. Just they changed the packaging from mine to yours. I've got both the aftershave and the cologne, although the lower the level gets the less I use it.
P.S. I'm pretty sure there's a few bottles of the cologne at that auction site.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Beautiful picture. I have that exact same 12 oz bottle sitting full in my bathroom. Any idea what year they came out with that one? The "Sale $1.29" banner leads me to think it's 1960s, possibly '50s, but I'm not sure.

That would be my guess, 60’s. Has no zip code and I think 50’s would be too old. what ever it may be, the juice is still very good. A nice powdery, lilac scent on dry down

Top Bottom