What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wow, one of my favorites. Well done, sir. I’ll have to rummage around and dig out my RDF jar for tomorrow night’s smoke.

Is it readily available again right now in the UK? I heard it was pretty scarce within the past year or so.

Some places were sold out, but not all. I got some loose from one place, and a tin for the ageing drawer from another. Probably half the vendors I use have it in stock in at least one of the two formats.

20210217_150518.jpg

McClelland Wilderness in a Boswell Shotshell.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The last crumbs of my GH Reunion Brown House Roll Cut just nicely fitted into a Pony Express cob. It's surprising how little thick cut tobacco it takes to fill this pipe, yet I still seem to get a decent length smoke from it.

This afternoon/evening: Peterson Irish Oak in an Abe Herbaugh blasted brandy w/a bamboo shank; C&D Sansepolcro in a Cristiano 60 B4; Sutliff Match Edgworth Ready Rubbed in an Arley Curtz rusticated 1/4 bent Pot.

My second half bowl of Half & Half in a Savinelli sandblasted billiard with a lightly bent (and badly oxidized) stem:

IMG_20210220_070220_1CS.jpg

Is this what is known as a "military" or "army" mount? The stem goes right into the metal collar. And the stem is unusual: It's like my Peterson System pipe, in that the opening is on the top or dorsal side of the stem, instead of at the very end. I haven't seen this model available now on websites. It's the one I fondly refer to as my "Somerset Maugham" pipe -- possibly because I was reading Of Human Bondage in the '80s when I bought this one.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My second half bowl of Half & Half in a Savinelli sandblasted billiard with a lightly bent (and badly oxidized) stem:

View attachment 1225716

Is this what is known as a "military" or "army" mount? The stem goes right into the metal collar. And the stem is unusual: It's like my Peterson System pipe, in that the opening is on the top or dorsal side of the stem, instead of at the very end. I haven't seen this model available now on websites. It's the one I fondly refer to as my "Somerset Maugham" pipe -- possibly because I was reading Of Human Bondage in the '80s when I bought this one.
That looks like an army mount.

And of course, you know the history. During WWI, soldiers in the trenches used spent ammo brass to reinforce damaged pipe shanks.

Sadly, some of the latest Savs are now sporting faux spigot mounts. Style ...

Top Bottom