What's new

I Coloniali Mango Dupe?

Gents (Soapers in Particular),

Has anyone tried to produce a modern top tier soap that replicates the discontinued I Coloniali Mango shave soap fragrance?

If not, why not, I would buy a ton of it in a modern top tier base, and splash! I am sure others would as well!

Vr

Matt

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Matt, when it was discontinued, no one wanted it. When I’d do an Amazon order, I’d throw a refill puck, some balm, some cream, or once in a while a terracotta pot in the cart, and this went on for 9 months. Only in the last month or so did prices start to rise. I bought refills for $16-19, a couple of backup pots for $30-35, cream was $16-25, but the balm was always fairly high and stayed stable until it ran out. The balm, BTW, is one if the greats.

But I would conclude that if an artisan soap didn’t sell any better than the original IC Mango and Rhubarb products (same scent), it wouldn’t be worth their time.

This was also true of the ABC hard soaps and a few other discontinued products. No one wanted them at all until there wasn’t any more, then they became desirable to some extent. These products though, were not desirable enough for most people to buy a few even when they were known to be discontinued.

AC562A95-FFFB-487C-845B-81E75AA54EC8.jpeg

Steve,

I don’t understand it...the fragrance is one of the most beautiful out there in my opinion! That of what a truly refined gentlemen should smell like!

You combine that with one of the top tier soap bases, and I bet it would be lightning in a bottle baby...lightning in a bottle!

Vr

Matt

PS I love seeing that stockpile you lucky dog!

Too bad it was before I got into wet shaving! I did see some balm on Amazon, but missed out! Foolishly!

Vr

Matt

I still have the one puck in the terra-cotta bowl and it’s not even half gone then I have one as a backup plus one unopened cream and that’s it, the soap itself is very nice but no over the top, starting in 2021 it will be time to cycle thru what I have been using all year so I can open some new stuff....

Man I wish someone could replicate the wonderful scent of I Coloniali but doubt anyone would be able to come close to it as it is a complex unique scent, as well as being a unique soap/ cream firm texture that looks like a soap but lathers like a cream. Have about 1 and a half pucks pressed into a puck that I picked up BST some years back, use it sparingly despite that being about a lifetime' s worth. Would be curious about a recreation depending on the particular artisan.

The cream has essentially the same scent. Did they discontinue the cream, too? I have a half a tube left that I was only using to apply by hand for shaves when I was travelling, but recently I decided to use it as part of my regular rotation, so it will be used up sometime within the next 6 months or so, in all probability.

I think (but don't know for sure) that they are still making and selling the cream. If they are, that would be your best bet. It lathers differently, but once you figure out the water ratio it is still a fine product and the scent is basically spot-on.

Man I wish someone could replicate the wonderful scent of I Coloniali but doubt anyone would be able to come close to it as it is a complex unique scent, as well as being a unique soap/ cream firm texture that looks like a soap but lathers like a cream. Have about 1 and a half pucks pressed into a puck that I picked up BST some years back, use it sparingly despite that being about a lifetime' s worth. Would be curious about a recreation depending on the particular artisan.

I have no clue what I Coloniali smells like. I have Asylum Shave Works Colonia and it is a wonderful scent. It has a cologne type scent that is similar to 70th Anniversary. Made by SV for Asylum and it looks like it is still available.

I have no clue what I Coloniali smells like. I have Asylum Shave Works Colonia and it is a wonderful scent. It has a cologne type scent that is similar to 70th Anniversary. Made by SV for Asylum and it looks like it is still available.

Have a SV 70th Anniversary bath soap and agree it is a wonderful complex citrus cologne scent. SV does know how to make some excellent scents that's for sure:)

I've got about half a puck in the pot, in storage. I've got about a 1/4 replacement puck in a tin at the house. the replacement puck's menthol content is way higher than the pot's. more than I like.

there's an old thread about it, and the polarization of the scent. I thought it was pretty offensive initially, but came around to it. by the time I heard it was out of production, there wasn't anything to be found but a $99 pot. I didn't think it was worth it to get another pot at that price point.

FWIW, I Coloniali still makes Burro di Illipè: a fantastic bath soap with a scent practically identical to that of the discontinued shaving soap.

I am curious about this stuff having missed the product when it was available. So I did a little digging. It looks like I Coloniali has a presence on Facebook (I don't use Facebook) but lacks a presence on the World Wide Wide (WWW), and their products only seem to be sold by one large retailer in the US - Amazon.

Perhaps my research is not accurate, but is it possible that the company just failed to reach the market for top tier creams/soaps?

I can't even find any contact information for the company.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
They’re the same company as Atkinson - same cream base as Atkinson’s For Gentlemen, lavender scent.

Top Bottom