What's new

Trotting Out An Old WarHorse

So today, I was looking at my razors and thought why not use something I haven't shaved with in quite a while.
A bit of background, I used to have several hundred razors etc. I sold off most to some great people on B&B, then Ebay etc. I now have 30 mostly modern razors which I really enjoy. I do, however, have 3 much older razors. Two are Gillette heads from the 20's and 30's on CoonCat Bob handles so I'll never sell those and the other is a Rotbart Mond-Extra from, I believe, the 30's.
Rotbarts were terrific razors and the company was bought out by Gillette in the late 20's or early 30's. There's some discussion as to when.
So I grabbed the Rotbart, inserted a Feather blade with a few shaves on it, lathered up with a good wool fat soap and went to work.

Well, what a pleasure. The balance and weight are terrific and easy to manoeuvre. Two passes plus a bit of buffing and I was done. An extremely efficient razor as I had 4 days beard growth to contend with. A brand new blade could only have made it better but maybe with a bit more caution.

Next up will be my other two oldies. It was nice to use this razor again as I had kinda forgotten how well it shaves. So it will be going back into rotation on a more regular basis.

The first 3 pics are the Rotbart and the last two are the Gillettes

Stay safe and warm guys.

93288342-6231-496C-AA4D-A076C54507BF.jpeg
4B924E84-526C-42EE-A598-BB50F8D32F5A.jpeg
E6A3660E-D24B-4EF2-9612-15593715AB25.jpeg
F7FE85C0-A0FE-4154-B110-ABB42427CAB9.jpeg
E3CF1175-4F9C-456B-B137-958D54376049.jpeg

So today, I was looking at my razors and thought why not use something I haven't shaved with in quite a while.
A bit of background, I used to have several hundred razors etc. I sold off most to some great people on B&B, then Ebay etc. I now have 30 mostly modern razors which I really enjoy. I do, however, have 3 much older razors. Two are Gillette heads from the 20's and 30's on CoonCat Bob handles so I'll never sell those and the other is a Rotbart Mond-Extra from, I believe, the 30's.
Rotbarts were terrific razors and the company was bought out by Gillette in the late 20's or early 30's. There's some discussion as to when.
So I grabbed the Rotbart, inserted a Feather blade with a few shaves on it, lathered up with a good wool fat soap and went to work.

Well, what a pleasure. The balance and weight are terrific and easy to manoeuvre. Two passes plus a bit of buffing and I was done. An extremely efficient razor as I had 4 days beard growth to contend with. A brand new blade could only have made it better but maybe with a bit more caution.

Next up will be my other two oldies. It was nice to use this razor again as I had kinda forgotten how well it shaves. So it will be going back into rotation on a more regular basis.

Stay safe and warm guys.

View attachment 1224560View attachment 1224561View attachment 1224562View attachment 1224563View attachment 1224564
Very nice set. I have a Gillette NEW Long comb that I like except for the hollow brass handle. The weight is all in the head and I’m used to my Rockwell where the weight is distributed evenly.

I had thought about getting a new heavier handle, but could not bring myself to do that to a classic razor. I’ve thought of filling the handle with birdshot, but I would have to figure out how to keep the bird shot from running around on the counter when I take the handle off.

D7F75234-4ACE-4427-A942-1EF5592C461B.jpeg

Very nice set. I have a Gillette NEW Long comb that I like except for the hollow brass handle. The weight is all in the head and I’m used to my Rockwell where the weight is distributed evenly.

I had thought about getting a new heavier handle, but could not bring myself to do that to a classic razor. I’ve thought of filling the handle with birdshot, but I would have to figure out how to keep the bird shot from running around on the counter when I take the handle off.

View attachment 1225034
Try putting a bit of glue in the handle after you fill its with birdshot. Epoxy for instance, then it will run down a bit into the pellets and prevent them from escaping. Just make sure you don't fill too much so it interferes with opening and closing.

Try putting a bit of glue in the handle after you fill its with birdshot. Epoxy for instance, then it will run down a bit into the pellets and prevent them from escaping. Just make sure you don't fill too much so it interferes with opening and closing.
I thought about that, but I was going to use a less permanent solution, like wax. If I decided I didn’t like it, then I heat the wax and let it run out. I just don’t want to do anything that would damage the handle.

View attachment 1225034
Soften a little beeswax and use it as a plug under the threads. Don’t like it, melt the beeswax and pour it out.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice Rotbart @huck1680 ! One I don't have ... like Peter I've got a couple with the thinner handle.

But your thread inspires me to trot out another of my old warhorses, a big heavy silver plated Rotbart with the No.15 style head.

full

Stay safe and warm guys.

View attachment 1224560View attachment 1224561View attachment 1224562

That is a fine razor.

Top Bottom