How do you use an adjustable razor?

• One setting throughout the shave.

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • Increasing gap with each pass.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Decreasing gap with each pass.

Votes: 26 35.1%

• Total voters
After reading the replies here I fired up my Rex. I shaved mostly on 4, did some touch ups on 5, but smoothed out my chin line on 2. So I guess "none of the above" applied to this shave but it worked quite well. The Rex was smoother than I remembered.

SOD 021721.jpg

All adjustables I have seem to be different per setting and design. Generally, I start high WTG and XTG on the same setting and drop it down the dial to lower settings, except setting 1 ATG. Usually setting 1 doesn’t seem as efficient as even my mildest non adjustable razors except for my Rex Ambassador. I drop it down to 1 ATG on the Rex.

I agree with most here in that you should just do what works best for you.

The Rex has been my go-to lately, and I think I have it figured out. Since the first pass really removes most of your beard, use a higher setting depending on how long you've gone without shaving. After that, dial it down to avoid irritation. Today, after 3 days without a shave, I started out at 4 or 5, then down to 3, and finally 2 or 2.5 ish IIRC. The result was a real close irritation- free shave. I say if you have the tool, take advantage of its capabilities.
SOD 03-07-21.jpg

The Rex has been my go-to lately, and I think I have it figured out. Since the first pass really removes most of your beard, use a higher setting depending on how long you've gone without shaving. After that, dial it down to avoid irritation. Today, after 3 days without a shave, I started out at 4 or 5, then down to 3, and finally 2 or 2.5 ish IIRC. The result was a real close irritation- free shave. I say if you have the tool, take advantage of its capabilities.
View attachment 1233604
That’s how I use the Rex as well with consistently great results. Enjoy!

Top Bottom