What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

Great shave with the Gamechanger 84 SB loaded with a Gillette Minora stainless. The third shave on the edge and it is smoothing out nicely.
20210215_085651.jpg

SOTD (046/2021)
15-02-2021

>> "One blade in February"- challenge <<

20210215_130742-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Badger
Soap: Le Père Lucien ~ Cèdre Orange
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (15)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Speick Men Active ASL.

Shave #15.
It's been a good shave, however I am going to switch razors again tomorrow.

JAHE - still in!

Last edited:
Rainy & Cold Tuesday Night Shave:
Fatip Slant Piccolo
Silver Star (1)
Semogue C5 Torga premium boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap
Provence Sante Verlaine shaving soap
Dickinson's witch hazel mixed with Duro Limon Kolonya
Proraso White aftershave balm

Accidental BBS.

ps-shave-11..png

SOTD (047/2021)
16-02-2021

20210216_132038-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Omega 11148 23/54
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ Platinum Collection
Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (16)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Taylor of Old Bond Street Platinum Collection Fragrance.

Shave #16.
I was running short of time this morning, that's why I had to skip my shave after the xtg pass. As to be expected the shave was not that close today. Dfs- on the face, sas on the neck (but no nicks/irritation). Mrs JAHE confirmed my face smells divine... so finally there's absolutely nothing to complain from my end.

JAHE - still in!

Last edited:
Stardate 121047.5
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (17)
Brush: Stirling 24mm Tuxedo
Cream: Cella

BLUF: Never underestimate the calming effect of a close and comfortable shave.

I woke up yesterday morning with no running water. There was a water main break in the neighborhood and at least one ruptured pipe in the house. We called the utility company and the water main has been fixed. We called a plumber, but he managed to drive into a ditch (he's okay) due to icy road conditions. I went to the hardware store to buy the materials in a desperate (I'm a software engineer with a very limited amount of useable mechanical skills) attempt to fix the plumbing myself, but the store closed early because of the weather. So here we are...

I needed a few minutes to calm my nerves and what better way than a shave. Oh yeah, no running water! I remembered visiting my grandmother in rural Florida as a kid. She had no indoor plumbing until my dad installed it when I was about twelve years old. So, I decided to think like an eleven year-old. I put just enough (this is not a time to be wasteful) water in a cup to wet my hands, soak my brush, and rinse my razor. I used Noxzema cleansing cream as a pre-shave.

I wet the bristles and squeezed most of the water back into the cup; again, no time to be wasteful. I loaded the brush with Cella and proceeded with my shave. I had more than enough lather for three full passes. The results could not have been better. After the last pass, I rinsed the brush as best I could. It's a synthetic, so I'm not worried about it; I'll clean and rinse it properly when I have running water again. I disassembled the razor, rinsed it, and wiped it down with a towel. I rinsed the blade and wiped it down with some tissue paper. I wiped my face with a hand towel and followed up with a splash of witch hazel and then a dollop of Duke Cannon ASB. Calm has been restored.

On a serious note... There are far too many sick and elderly people without electricity and water during this winter storm. There are so many people who find themselves dealing with hard times and stressful situations through no fault of their own. If you are one who prays, please pray for them. If you are not, I'm sure a kind thought will work too. Be well and stay safe. Crewman #13 still in...

Amen. I heard from a friend in Texas that the temperature is below 10 degrees, they are getting snow, and the electricity is coming on and off. They are ill equipped to maintain the roads and snow shovels are uncommon. Here in New England snow and cold is inconvenient but we are prepared for it. If we get a foot of snow, my street is plowed by morning and I o out with the snowblower to clear the driveway and a couple of neighbors who need a hand. This is a whole different experience in Texas and neighboring states. Prayers and supportive thought is about all we can do and if if doesn't help it won't hurt.

Captain's Log, Stardate 6738.4: We continue to investigate why the entire population of planet Ohnonotagin IV appears to have gone extinct for reasons unknown.

Today a smuggling operation involving the away teams has been discovered. Many alien artifacts have been transported aboard ship without going through the required decontamination procedures.

mconfront-5.png

mconfront-3.png

mconfront-4.png

mconfront-6.png

mconfront-2.png

mconfront-8.png

mconfront-7.png

mconfront-9.png

mconfront-1.png

To be continued...

Last edited:
SOTD (048/2021)
17-02-2021

20210217_092209-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Phoenix and Beau ~ Trafalgar
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (17)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea After Shave Fluid.

JAHE - still in!

SOTD (048/2021)
17-02-2021

View attachment 1224248

Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Phoenix and Beau ~ Trafalgar
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (17)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea After Shave Fluid.

JAHE - still in!
These Blades are impressive, its the first I try and Im on 12th compared to max 3 with other.

Since this sabbatical began, I have been focused on face lathering and getting the most of the brushes that I own. Today was going along as a nice shave with PDP #63, a Semogue Owners Club, Gillette New open comb, and Voshkod on the fourth day. I got too carried away adding water on the first lather so by the time I was ready to lather for the third pass, I had a kind of non-descript white soup. A dab of Cremo got me through the last pass and there were no issues with the alum block. Clearly I need to practice more to optimize that brush. No need to think about new brushes till I figure out this crop.

Mostly Cloudy & Cold Wednesday Night Shave:
Fatip Slant Piccolo
7 O'clock Green Super Stainless (1)
Semogue 610 boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap
Captain's Choice Venture shave soap (sample)
Dickinson's witch hazel mixed with Duro Limon Kolonya
Captain's Choice Venture aftershave (sample)

cc-shave-5.png

Shaved today after a hiatus, totally enjoyed it.

RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Arko
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (1)
Omega 10005
Anherb ASC

Omega is almost break-in, and I cannot feel much of the initial scritch.

This brush didn't shed any bristles initially, then during last 8 shaves (daily), it shed an average of 2 - 4 bristles.

It didn't shed any bristles today, so hopefully it will settle down.

IMG_20210218_213311.jpg

On a separate note : We are also having unprecedented weather troubles here.
I cannot remember the last time we had cold weather in February.

At the most, we felt slight chill in mid January and by start of February, we are used to getting warm to hot weather.

By the start of March, we start seeing cases of Loo (heat stroke) and this year the winter hasn't even left till now.

Our thoughts and prayers to the people who are in trouble, hopefully they'll get the necessary services in a timely manner.

Top Bottom