What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

Yes, and I'm really thankful for that hint. I used a 1.2 mm SS spring, had to polish a little bit on the inner side on one end with the Dremel, and now it fits perfectly.

Glad I could help. Funny, I had a thread issue with my first Variant, they sent out a new one and after watching one of Mantic59’s videos, threw a Merkur cap on it and not only did it fit, it made it better. I bought 2 more Variants for my sons and picked up 2 more Merkur caps for that reason. His calibration video was awesome and I was no longer bound by the adjustment “Arrow” on that style razor.

Is there thread lock on the Flexi for disassembly? I’m taking apart my Rex soon to fix the threads and make it disassemble easier for detailed cleaning and was thinking about using my heat gun vs a torch. Gonna have to have some brake cleaner on standby to get that stuff off the threads too. Was curious if you had to do that with the Flexi.

Glad I could help. ...

Is there thread lock on the Flexi for disassembly? I’m taking apart my Rex soon to fix the threads and make it disassemble easier for detailed cleaning and was thinking about using my heat gun vs a torch. Gonna have to have some brake cleaner on standby to get that stuff off the threads too. Was curious if you had to do that with the Flexi.
Don‘t know how they achieve this: i had to use some force to disassemble the handle, but could not see any type of Loctite stuff. When I assemble the handle, there is some type of resistance as soon as I reach the „stopping-area“. Nebertheless, it seems to me, as if it was a littler bit more tightened before I disassembled it. I adjusted the handle while the adjusting knob was set to 6, tightened it carefully against the adjusting knob (hope I am understandable). When the top plate is tightened the adjusting knob can be turned easily. If the top plate isn‘t tightened, sometimes the handle turns, when turning the adjustment knob.
Hope, that helps.

Got my Flexi this afternoon and had a shave with it after dinner. I used the default Willy's blades with it.

Had a head and face shave. Had about 8 days of growth and starred with setting 5 then 4, 3, and 1 for final pass and touch ups. Setting 3 provides the same gap as my Rex Envoy, but smoother. I ran out of aftershave, but I didn't have any stinging or irritation. My lather was subpar as well. Next shave I will use a Voskhod and better lather. Despite not using a familiar blade and getting my lather right, it still provided a good shave overall.

If the Envoy/Ambassador had a grip of 10/10, the Flexi I would rate about an 8 or 9/10. Fit and finish of the paint is good, simulates a satin/matte stainless steel quite well. Dial adjustment is tight and stays put.

Minor complaint is that even after everything is tightened down, there is still some sort of rattling inside the top of the handle. While my blade gap was negligible, this issue was so easy to fix. What I did was set it to the highest setting of 6, with 2 fingers press the bottom of the baseplate all the way to the top, and turned the dial all the way pass Under setting 1. So effectively, it will be at the half increment setting between 1 and 6, at the dot. What this does is it allows the spring to fully compress and seat down properly. I left it like this for about 30 mins. After that, playing around with the settings a little, it's pretty much straight with no issues.

For the money and what you get, it's a fine razor.

A Gillette thin can be had for $30 and no adjustments needed to the the gap straight.....

Adjusting the gap is something I remember hearing w the MIngShi 3000....the one that is sitting at the bottom of a drawer and I paid $15 and still am annoyed.....

The fact that some are still crooked, just tells me that QC is not very good, or the person doing it needs a new pair of glasses or maybe be placed in a different position like mailing.....

I've placed an order for mine a few days ago and I really hope is as good as people say it is. What do you guys think of the razor so far? Some of you have if for at least a week and by now you can tell us in more details how efficient, smooth and aggressive the razor is. There are at least 5 new videos about the V2 version and everyone looks at the head of the razor with 100000 x zooms just to see if there's a micron of misalignment or something. You'd be surprised if you zoom most of the razors.

I've placed an order for mine a few days ago and I really hope is as good as people say it is. What do you guys think of the razor so far? Some of you have if for at least a week and by now you can tell us in more details how efficient, smooth and aggressive the razor is. There are at least 5 new videos about the V2 version and everyone looks at the head of the razor with 100000 x zooms just to see if there's a micron of misalignment or something. You'd be surprised if you zoom most of the razors.
From what I’ve seen and read, no one has had a bad shaving experience, even with the razors that appeared to have an uneven gap. Everyone I’ve seen, even Matt from RE and Rex, says it feels like the Rex Ambassador. If it shaves like the Rex, you’ll love it! Hell I’m thinking about picking one up to use when traveling so I can leave my Rex safely at home.

I'm just about done with my week with the Flexi. Finished shave quality is essentially the same as the Rex. No surprise, as it is for all intents and purposes its a copy there of.

The shave itself (IMO, YMMV, etc.,) is rather different. The Flexi is about 1 full ounce(5 oz) heavier than the stainless Rex, even slightly more than the very weighty Rocnel SE-1. After a solid week, I am acclimated, but I would be hard pressed to call this a "general rotation" razor, and I believe it would be challenging for someone with arthritis or neuropathy.

It takes slightly different handling, as the Rex is more responsive in mid-stroke adjustments, most notably ATG.

All in all, I do rate it 5 stars, but if you don't routinely use heavier razors (4oz./113.4g), you'll either have to adjust, or it may not be your cup of tea.

Were I working with the design, I would make 6-8 longitudinal flute-cuts up through the handle, and probably drill out the cap-securing post at the bottom.

Just had a BBS with the Rex mostly on 4 with 5 for touching up. Contrary to the haters it was quite smooth. Not sure I'll get the Pearl but I'm keeping my eye on this thread. :001_302:

SOD 02-17-21.jpg

Maybe that guy hates the company and tries to spread some misinformation. So far he's the only one claims that there are problems with the V2.
I don't hate the company at all. I think it's an excellent razor. There were clearly issues with the V1 razor. These were supposed to be fixed for V2. There was an improvenent in it, but the issue was still there. I've watched some YouTube reviews of the V2 and i can see their V2 razor still has the same issue as my V2, however, they chose not too mention it, but if you look, you can see it on the screen. Others have messaged me saying their V2 still has thecslant issue.
I think Pearl did a great job with this razor and their customer service is second to none. They're so close to getting it just right. I've heard its an easy thing to fix, pushing the top cap and safety bar together before releasing it to reset the spring, but personally, I would prefer it to be right straight out of the box. Am I being too picky? Maybe.

I really enjoyed the shave from the Pearl Flexi and I said I preferred the shave it gave me over my Rex Ambassador. The slant issue doesn't take anything away from the feel of the shave but i would have just preferred them to have sorted the issue after saying they would.
Maybe i just got a bad one that slipped through their QC.

Lets hope it's fixed for V3.

I don't hate the company at all. I think it's an excellent razor. There were clearly issues with the V1 razor. These were supposed to be fixed for V2. There was an improvenent in it, but the issue was still there. I've watched some YouTube reviews of the V2 and i can see their V2 razor still has the same issue as my V2, however, they chose not too mention it, but if you look, you can see it on the screen. Others have messaged me saying their V2 still has thecslant issue.
I think Pearl did a great job with this razor and their customer service is second to none. They're so close to getting it just right. I've heard its an easy thing to fix, pushing the top cap and safety bar together before releasing it to reset the spring, but personally, I would prefer it to be right straight out of the box. Am I being too picky? Maybe.

I really enjoyed the shave from the Pearl Flexi and I said I preferred the shave it gave me over my Rex Ambassador. The slant issue doesn't take anything away from the feel of the shave but i would have just preferred them to have sorted the issue after saying they would.
Maybe i just got a bad one that slipped through their QC.

Lets hope it's fixed for V3.

I know, I was talking about some guy who commented in one of Kensurfs videos a day (I think) before you shaved with your razor and he said that two of his friends got the new version and both of them have misalignment issues. I've seen a few videos and for me it looks like the reflection of the light is playing tricks or something like that. I've seen pictures on this forum about 3 piece razors like Razorock Game Changer with alignment issues and even asked the person who posted it and he said that it's just a reflection from the light and it seems that way but it isn't.

Most people agree that it's a great razor and even if there's something wrong with mine, I can always tell them to send me a new one or new parts to fix it. They seem to be more helpful than Razor Emporium from what i've heard and if a person has an issue with their razor, he has to send it to them and since i'm from Europe and I have to pay for the shipping to get there and back to me I find it unprofessional and if they somehow not fix that issue, well I have to throw it in the garbage then.

Here's a recent photo that I found on the forum (I think from BST) about a Rex from the last versions, which shoudn't have any issues at all. That looks much worse imho.

Rex-7.jpg

N series.

Huh, must have been the reflection. Your knurling channels on the dial and knob look thicker. I have the N Series also. Although the M Series had issues, I prefer the wider knurling channels on the first design.

I know, I was talking about some guy who commented in one of Kensurfs videos a day (I think) before you shaved with your razor and he said that two of his friends got the new version and both of them have misalignment issues. I've seen a few videos and for me it looks like the reflection of the light is playing tricks or something like that. I've seen pictures on this forum about 3 piece razors like Razorock Game Changer with alignment issues and even asked the person who posted it and he said that it's just a reflection from the light and it seems that way but it isn't.

Most people agree that it's a great razor and even if there's something wrong with mine, I can always tell them to send me a new one or new parts to fix it. They seem to be more helpful than Razor Emporium from what i've heard and if a person has an issue with their razor, he has to send it to them and since i'm from Europe and I have to pay for the shipping to get there and back to me I find it unprofessional and if they somehow not fix that issue, well I have to throw it in the garbage then.

Here's a recent photo that I found on the forum (I think from BST) about a Rex from the last versions, which shoudn't have any issues at all. That looks much worse imho.

View attachment 1224837

I’m sure everybody is tired of me talking about springs, but that is mostly a spring issue on that Rex you have pictured. I have plenty of space in all of my Gibbs Adjustables, but never had issues with gap on any of those. You need some space in the outer tube for the spring, it is just supposed to go up and down. Working the spring a bit or replacing it with a more robust one would fix that. Hopefully RE fixes that for them since you need a torch or heat gun to crack the thing open. I’ve been waiting for over a month for a new knob they promised to send me because of a threading issue so hopefully things go better for that guy.

I've got mine and I was surprised when a guy from UPS called me and said there's a package from India for me I've ordered mine 7-8 days ago, because I had trouble with my Paypal account and I had to pay through Western Union. The razor looks nice and the fact that it comes with a solid stand, 100 blades, 2 soap samples (which are enough for at least a few months of shaving) and a small synthetic brush are making the deal even more sweet. For around 100$ + shipping is a really nice deal. The people from Pearl really know how to satisfy their customers.

I will shave with mine tomorrow, because I shaved yesterday and with 24 hours of beard growth the test would not be conclusive enough and also check it for any misalignments, but so far I don't see any issues.

Top Bottom