What's new

Going back from aggressive to mild?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I wonder whether there are shavers that went from shaving with aggressive or semi-aggressive razors to mild or semi-mild razors. And I don't mean by that trying a razor, deciding it's too aggressive and then picking up something less aggressive. I mean shaving for a substantial period of time with a more aggressive razor and then for some reason changing it for a milder one and sticking with it.

Well not exactly my story ,but close enough.
At my case was like a pendulum coming slowly to it’s rest point ,
totally still (although I’m not absolutely sure that I’ve to that ‘shaving nirvana’ point ) .
I started with a really aggressive razor (R41) and used it for 3 years in a row.
Then I switched to the opposite
side and got a R89 ,used it for a year or so and then moved back
to a Rocca and forth with a Masamune and back with a Timeless sc 0.95 and forth with
a Tech and back with Karve D,E,F & G and forth with a ....
Slowly was coming close to todays still point ,with
the Razorock Lupo 95 .
I’m not sure if my pendulum has yet to come to it’s rest point ,but I’m pretty sure that
it’s going to be really hard for another razor to beat the Lupo 95 in every aspect .

Have to note that I’m one of those few weird types of person,that try a great variety of stuff only to pick the few ones that suit me most and
cover the most of personal set standards.And then “marry”them.
Nowadays,I rotate only 2 DE razors( GC 0.84 oc & Lupo 95 ),
3 or 4 synthetics (STFs & EVO),3-4 blades (Nacet,Bic CP,Rubie,Yellows) and three brands of soap ( SV ,MWF & Officina artigiana milano) .

Hard to believe that in any time in the near or far future there are going to be products that will offer me more pleasure and greater satisfaction than those consisting my current den.
Ok...maybe better synthetics ,
but that’s just about it.

Last edited:
Last year I developed a distinct fondness for efficient razors (e.g. Rex Ambassador, Timeless 0.95 OC). It wasn’t long before my Brit Aristocrat Gen 4 (a mild razor) lost its luster. I picked it up again a couple of months ago and dropped a Feather in. Along with some Proraso pre-shave and a real shalllow angle, it was marvelous. It’s now the vintage I look forward to most. Yes, it’s very interesting the impact of time and technique (improvement) has on one’s preferences!

I don’t play favorites anymore, I just adjust to what is next in the rotation. I prefer to take my time with my aggressive razors and enjoy the shave, so I save them for weekends and holidays.

@SCh5
Very nicely put and your points do resonate with my thinking as well.

My wet shaving journey is not filled with as many milestones as other gentlemen here, but for me and the amount of time and resources I consider it acceptable to spend on the hobby, I've had enough switches to give me an idea about what o prefer.

I started with a very mild close comb razor last year, then switched to an R41 rip off ( Global Shave Club, without packaging).

Then I switched to Variant Adjustable and used settings 4, 5 even 6 (almost pure blade feel).

Then I went back to mild razor in the form of RazoRock BBS, I had some excellent shaves especially my first ones without irritation.

But, heart wanted something with a bit more kick, and thankfully I purchased the Game Changer OC 84, a month later I'm quite happy with it using daily.

In my case, I started with mild razor and now after some swings, I'm settling with aggressive and efficient razor.

Pure blade feel in a DE razor is not my idea of daily shaver.

Have I settled ? NO
I have 3 razors in my sight, and each one is different from each other, let's see where it finally settles.

I started out liking aggressive razors. I just liked the feel of the blade and the close shave I got. Then I moved to more milder razors which I like because you don't have to be so careful when shaving. But I still wander back to aggressive now and then. Last week I used my Ever-Ready 1914 razor which could be the most aggressive razor you can get. I enjoyed it.
I guess it depends on how I feel at the time.
I think I will stay mostly with mild razors since they get the job done with less chance of irritation.

I dislike mild razors, though their efficiency may (generally) be increased with a different blade, usually Feather.

Like Doug135, my Brit Aristocrat, Kirby, '34 Aristocrat, etc., all gained new life via Feather.

This is one of the reasons I thoroughly enjoy adjustables, being able to tune into the not too much, not too little, just so right, shave.

You've described pretty well the phase I'm in--I was using an R41 for most of my DE shaves, and then discovered how much I like a Gillette Tech. Haven't budged from the Tech in over a week straight, and I'm usually changing things up for experimentation and variety. I am just enjoying the mild and easy shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to use mid to milder mid range aggressive razors because I shave daily, most MFG's do not make aggressive razors because they are not great sellers for the bottom line IMO. When using aggressive razors room for error increases and with a nice mid range its carefree shave usually and gives a similar shave if technique is good.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I started off with mild razors and went to more aggressive ones. I currently only have one razor that I consider aggressive, a Charcoal Goods LvL2. Some folks wouldn't consider it aggressive, but I do. I can use it once or twice a week, but more than that and it starts to take its toll, especially on my neck.

Started out with medium to mild razors (Merkur HD, Muhle R89, ATT M1), once I felt I had the hang of it, I went more aggressive thinking it was what I needed (ATT H1, R41)... Used those two for a couple of years and decided to buy a Rockwell 6S for a bit of a change - and found the milder plates shaved just as well as the more aggressive ones with less drama.

Then moved on the aggro razors and for variety picked up a Mamba and Mamba 70 - which are so good the Rockwell was moved on again.

Not in any hurry to go back to more aggressive razors and even if I bought one it probably wouldn't be used too often.

Top Bottom