What's new

Shave Roulette

DD41B9D2-6245-48D6-9698-E37544A9BF84.jpeg

9575 was a better spin than I expected. 9 is the discontinued Col Conk natural cedar soap. I had trouble lathering this the first time I tried it awhile back. The Colonel advised me to use less water, so I did, and the resulting lather from my 2-band badger was very effective. 7 is my iKon X3 slant, which I’ve had a difficult time learning to use because of its mildness and very small shaving angle. It was loaded with a Spoiler last seen eating my face in my FOCS. I gave it another try in this razor instead.

Despite all the worries, it all came together with a perfect BBS and the sandalwood AS went on great. Could not ask for better.

8639 shave this morning was fantastic!

My new Yaqi synthetic brush made an amazing, lush, fragrant lather from my Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise (one of my two Christmas soaps!).

My main razor was the Kai Kasho Woody folding shavette, loaded with a Kai Mild Pink on its 14th shave (still smooth!). Clean-up was with a British flat-bottom LC NEW, which I put on a Wolfman handle. What a smooth shaver!

Overall, a fantastic, drama-free, two-pass plus touch-up DFS. Thanks for such a great spin.

Really nice shave last night with the 1505 spin.

The brush was my Graydog (love it!). The soap was Wickham 1912 Club Cola. The shavette was my Kai Kasho woody. The clean-up razor? Fatboy, for the second time in the past three shaves.

My observations for this shave were these two: 1) I finally got the Club Cola to its best lather. I added about 3 or 4 drops of glycerin and got the water ratio just right. This lather has always smelled amazing, but in the past I haven't been able to get it as rich a lather as I desire; it also seems that it is slick but has essentially no cushion. Getting the water ratio perfected and adding a bit of glycerin made it richer. Cushion is still scant, but with the shavette slickness is more important anyway. 2) The Fatboy is a vastly underrated shaver by the wetshaving community (in my opinion). It has a collector's cache, to be sure, but a lot of people say it is not a great shaver. I beg to differ. It is one of my most reliable DEs. I think the weight is perfect, the length is perfect, the girth of the handle is perfect, blade alignment is perfect. I got all the little hairs up near the nostril without any problem (the dome height as a downside has been WAY overplayed and is actually helpful in the transition from the jawline to the neck for us skinny people). Anyway, I LOVE my Fatboy. A long time ago I had a beautiful Fatboy that I ended up trading away. I missed it so badly I picked up another one. I promised myself that I would NEVER sell or trade this one away, and I am sticking to that promise. My kids will find this Fatboy among my belongings when I die.

Anyway, a great shave last night. Thanks for another good spin.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I've been out of the game for a while, participating in the One Blade in February challenge, and trying to use up my Castle Forbes lime sampler. So today I decided to get back into the game to pick my soap and brush. Well, here's my win:

Castle Forbes Lime
RazoRock 400

Achieved a great shave today using RazoRock Hawk V3-OC + Feather AC Professional #11. Blade is still going strong.

Today’s shave was simply incredible. MdC is legendary for a reason. Used the Frank Shaving travel brush since I’m only shaving neck and cheeks. The Star DE is a personal favorite for its combination of grip (hex handle), thin cap, and smooth shave. Pairs well with aggressive blades. First time using the Astra SP and felt this was the perfect combination for it. Luxurious lather, forgiving razor, and a very sharp blade. BBS with no neck irritation. Even buffed my cheeks ATG.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Achieved a great shave today. RazoRock V3-OC, Feather AC professional #13, L&W bay rum, RazoRock 400. This razor and blade is great for first pass ATG. Zero irritation and zero alum burn.

60CD2988-374C-45B4-BC50-16063DC7D69E.jpeg

795 all called for vintage (or “Heritage”) Gillette branded products. So I audibled out of the Aqua Velva for an after shave with the Gillette name on it. This is what’s left of a decanted PAA Sun Down sample, with a scent like the 1960s Sun Up.

The razor has a vintage Spoiler in it, which is good because it improves this otherwise mediocre razor enough to make it usable. I got a good shave and smell great.

Top Bottom