What's new

Gillette Tech First Impressions

Due to all the love it receives here, I decided to get a Gillette Tech. I looked around on eBay, and found one that had lost all its plating, but was pretty inexpensive and it showed up a few days ago.

0642E4B0-3970-4585-97C5-3EF7539D580F.jpeg
520EB9A9-1591-4A4E-A443-D5F8A8BE8AE6.jpeg

The listing said it was a post war, no date code model, I’m guessing that’s correct.

Yesterday was my first shave with it. I used a Parker blade, since, for me, they’re pretty predictable. Smooth, not too sharp. I was sort of surprised how much blade stuck out beyond the cap and guard as it’s described as a mild shaver, but I lathered up and went for it. I did not have the greatest first experience. It seemed incredibly tuggy, I had a decent amount of irritation after 2 passes, and was still left with a bit of stubble. I don’t expect to be the master of every new piece of shaving equipment on the first try, but it was very different than what I expected. I can almost always get a close comfortable shave with my 34c. I was disappointed.

I did some poking around here on the forum last night and saw that many people like to use GSB’s in this razor. Others mentioned that “riding the cap” was an effective strategy.

So, with that in mind, I set out this morning to do better. Put a new GSB in the razor, and moved slowly and deliberately, with the handle way farther out than I’m accustomed. (thinking about this, it makes sense. The 34c does seem to give the blade more of a U shape than the tech).

My results were much better today. Took a bit of touching up, but my shave was comfortable, and pretty close. I need way more time with this guy to really form an opinion, but I do think it’s pretty neat to be using a razor that’s 30 or more years older than I am. Feel free to chime in with any useful advice.

With a mild razor, a sharp blade usually works best. Try a Feather or similar.

The Tech has a narrow effective angle. Outside of that angle, whiskers don't get fully cut. This is why people complain the Tech is too mild. You do not have to "ride the cap". Aim for a more neutral angle. To find it, listen to the whiskers being cut and stay in the middle of that zone where you will get the closest shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Now, if you want to be ‘wowed’, put a Feather or Polsilver or Kai blade in it. You are smart in riding it shallow.

+1 to this. These three blades are the best I have found for my Techs. 👍

@LMcC - You have a Post-war Fat Handle Tech. In my opinion, one of the finest razors ever made and capable of exceptional results.

I shaved with the Pre-war version yesterday:

20210209_193423~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette Pre-war Tech (Canada)
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)
Brush: The Tech Hive Butterscotch Beehive (26mm Tuxedo)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tabac

Aftershave: Tabac

Best to start with a shallow to neutral angle and feel your way to the proper angle.

Good luck on your Tech journey. :)

Finding what works for you is what this hobby is all about. I find Techs too mild for me even with sharper blades. I can still get nice shaves, but it takes me a bit more time. My first DE razor was a Tech and I had a few, but kept only the flat bottom one, even though I don't think it shaves any better than the rest, but I bought it with a tin box and I think it's a military issue.

I just used one (‘60?) for the first time today and my results were near yours. Decent shave but a bit of work/touch ups. Definitely blame myself for this. This razor seems more fickle about technique than some others. It gets so much praise here I’m going to keep trying it. Maybe throw a Feather in it and a different handle. The ball end is a little petite

I have never found tech to be too mild for me. Everyone is different.

It is much different to shave with than the 34, I also have to ride the cap to get a good shave. I personally think they are good razors that take a little time to learn. That is some of the fun for me, learning a razor.

I would say wait to put a sharper blade in it though, which I think you said you were doing. You want to learn the razor with a blade you are comfortable with. Sure would hate to learn a razor with a Feather in it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’m gonna stick with the GSB at least another day or two, I usually get a better shave on a blades second day. But I’ll try a feather next.
You might be like me. The GSB is my best blade for any razor I have used. And it DEFINITELY performs better after the first use. I have one with 53 uses on it, that was better than the Kai I used for the 4th time.

And definitely ride the cap.

Lol, you may have just stumbled upon your favorite combo!

I do enjoy the learning process. Well, maybe not all aspects of it, but certainly part of the fun. Thanks for all the insights!

The tech with a GSB is probably my top blade/ razor combination. Most of the blades I’ve used are better on the second shave than the first. I’d give it 3-4 days with the GSB before switching to a Kai or Feather. Just my thoughts on the matter
My thoughts as well.

I didn't think much of Techs till I decided to train myself to get a good shave with one (as in: is it this bit of metal or me that's doing it wrong? :wink2:).

I love my Tech and my custom olive wood handle:
Olive-Set-G-700_2020-07-09.jpg

None of this cap-riding nonsense for me. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool steep angler. :001_tt2:
Of course, YMMV. :wink2:

I'm with the King (C. Gillette) all the way. Check out the "2nd WAY" below:
Gillette-Tech-Box-Instructions.jpg

Top Bottom