What's new

Which blades to order / to skip

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
My recommendation is to get a razor blade sample pack. Most shave store have them. Buy the pack that has the best variety but also, if you’re able to find those blades in bulk at the right price.

you already tried astra. Here’s what I would recommend:

Derby
Feather
Gillette
Lord
Personna
7 o’clock green or yellow

Do make sure that your technique is solid and that you've got a couple months of shaves accomplished before changing the blades up all the time. Once you're good to go then you'll be able to tell the difference between blades and properly score them. Until them you're just wasting your time as you'll likely have to revisit all of the blades again at a later date.

Here's another list...

Feather
Nacet
Wizamet
PolSilver
PermaSharp
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Gillette Silver Blue
Bic

Most of these tend to fall on the sharper side. For me with excellent technique a sharper blade is every bit as smooth and comfortable to shave with while eliminating some of the touch up needed with a less sharp blade.

Eben Stone

Staff member
If you're achieving great shaves with the Astra SP, why bother looking for something else? Boredom? Curiosity? Hole in your pocket?

The grass always looks greener on the other side.

All the advice given so far seems good, however, I get the best shaves from one of the least popular blades.

If you're achieving great shaves with the Astra SP, why bother looking for something else? Boredom? Curiosity? Hole in your pocket?

The grass always looks greener on the other side.

All the advice given so far seems good, however, I get the best shaves from one of the least popular blades.

Curiosity really. And the 'need' for variation. Other than yama-dori, I've never ordered the same ink once a bottle ran empty either :wink2:

Feather
Nacet
Wizamet
PolSilver
PermaSharp
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Gillette Silver Blue
Bic

Most of these tend to fall on the sharper side. For me with excellent technique a sharper blade is every bit as smooth and comfortable to shave with while eliminating some of the touch up needed with a less sharp blade.
+1

Top Bottom