What's new

Half a shaving bowl

OK, not a brush so please forgive me or help direct me to the right place. Thought the turners in here may appreciate. Piece of fringe tree from my yard. Got half of it turned today and maybe do the other side another day.

BCAFD11B-E7E3-46BD-859E-3A6F9ACBCDC0.jpeg
4D16C0EC-2969-42BC-AA2B-58DD396A6481.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would leave it as is; if it stands flat then the ledge would be useful. If you complete the other side then it will be simply just another wooden bowl, albeit a very nice one. I do not use a shaving bowl as I exclusively face lather but I would purchase that, with the wood finished and waterproofed, simply to use as an ornamental household bowl. Really lovely work 👍

Thanks guys. For the non-turners, this was a bit of a joke when I said I turned half a bowl and I’m sure the turners got it :) Bowls are turned in the round direction so to turn half of one would be an interesting challenge of pulling the tool out and putting it back to only cut half of a revolution at high RPM.....which is probably not humanly possible.

I am not cleaver enough or artistic enough to come up with anything like this and it is called an emerging bowl turning. They looked cool to me so I thought I would give one a try. You first turn half of a sphere on a block and then split that in half on a bandsaw. Then remount on a faceplate sideways to face the top to create the rim and then hollow the bowl.

I don’t think I’ll actually use it as a shave bowl. I am a scuttle guy and that is a trick turning I can’t yet figure out. I do think it is pretty cool looking and it sits dead flat naturally. I could seal in various ways for wet use but not sure if I will or not.

I do have the other half/twin out in the shop I split off.........

Very cool and it is definitely showing your turning skills.

Well thank you, but I am just re-teaching myself things I learned as a kid and trying to learn some new ones at the same time. It has been fun, but I am far from a skillful turner like a lot of guys here. To watch someone who knows what they are doing is amazing like watching a hummingbird feed. Maybe one day! Until then I will be practicing when I can.

Very cool looking shaving bowl. What are you going to use to waterproof it with?

Jury still out on this one. While the process can be frustrating, I am have been impressed with the results and durability of CA lately. If it won’t get any wet use then that opens up possibilities and I do like a lot of oil and wax finishes.

Thanks guys. For the non-turners, this was a bit of a joke when I said I turned half a bowl and I’m sure the turners got it :) Bowls are turned in the round direction so to turn half of one would be an interesting challenge of pulling the tool out and putting it back to only cut half of a revolution at high RPM.....which is probably not humanly possible.

I am not cleaver enough or artistic enough to come up with anything like this and it is called an emerging bowl turning. They looked cool to me so I thought I would give one a try. You first turn half of a sphere on a block and then split that in half on a bandsaw. Then remount on a faceplate sideways to face the top to create the rim and then hollow the bowl.

I don’t think I’ll actually use it as a shave bowl. I am a scuttle guy and that is a trick turning I can’t yet figure out. I do think it is pretty cool looking and it sits dead flat naturally. I could seal in various ways for wet use but not sure if I will or not.

Curious what your guess was to this turner’s puzzle :)

Your above description pretty much describes what I envisioned. You must have a pretty good size lathe to handle that much imbalance. What kind of RPM is this kind of work done at?

Reactions: LJS
Your above description pretty much describes what I envisioned. You must have a pretty good size lathe to handle that much imbalance. What kind of RPM is this kind of work done at?

Wish I had been smart enough to put on my biggest lathe (3ph fay-egan 400 from about 1920-30)....but I did that facing work on my smallest lathe (laguna 1216) at snail speed of about 4-500. Lathe is well mounted on heavy base but was certainly a little challenging. It is my only modern wood lathe and the one that I use mostly so just jumped on it like normal. I guess the challenge is what I was after and it was what I received :) I kept the tailstock up for all that facing and even hollowed the bowl out around the tailstock leaving a column that I slowly nibbled away after I got the bowl 99% hollowed. Fun to do and the gents here gave some interesting ideas about using the "ledge" for brushes/razors etc......so may take another crack at the other half of the blank and do something a little different.

Wish I had been smart enough to put on my biggest lathe (3ph fay-egan 400 from about 1920-30)....but I did that facing work on my smallest lathe (laguna 1216) at snail speed of about 4-500. Lathe is well mounted on heavy base but was certainly a little challenging. It is my only modern wood lathe and the one that I use mostly so just jumped on it like normal. I guess the challenge is what I was after and it was what I received :) I kept the tailstock up for all that facing and even hollowed the bowl out around the tailstock leaving a column that I slowly nibbled away after I got the bowl 99% hollowed. Fun to do and the gents here gave some interesting ideas about using the "ledge" for brushes/razors etc......so may take another crack at the other half of the blank and do something a little different.

I don't really turn anything bigger than a brush handle usually. I have a bench top Jet mini lathe. So I don't think I'll be trying to replicate your emerging bowl. It sure is cool though.

Reactions: LJS

Which bowl gouge will you prefer for a beginner?
As a beginner, I don't have much experience on woodturning know-hows. That's why I started little bit research on bowl gouge and bowl turning project ideas. On my research, I find a website reviewed different types of bowl gouge where I like this three gouges -
1. Robert Sorby 842FLH 1/2″ Fingernail Bowl Gouge
2. Yellowhammer 3 Piece Bowl Gouge Set
3. Hurricane Woodturning Bowl Gouge Set
But still unable to pick one cause I don't know which one will be good for beginners.

Which bowl gouge will you prefer for a beginner?
As a beginner, I don't have much experience on woodturning know-hows. That's why I started little bit research on bowl gouge and bowl turning project ideas. On my research, I find a website reviewed different types of bowl gouge where I like this three gouges -
1. Robert Sorby 842FLH 1/2″ Fingernail Bowl Gouge
2. Yellowhammer 3 Piece Bowl Gouge Set
3. Hurricane Woodturning Bowl Gouge Set
But still unable to pick one cause I don't know which one will be good for beginners.

Hi Joe - for a beginner I would recommend looking into PSI chisels and gouges as they are pretty economical and decent while you learn what you like. Sorby makes good stuff and I have many pounds of their steel but honestly not necessary to spend that much because others makes good tools too. If you are looking to try bowl gouges then I would recommend a standard ½” with standard grind. Like all lathe tools, I think sharp is more important than shape, style, size. I have bowl gouges but I also learned to use a hook when I was a kid and still like to use one when appropriate personally. Not sure where you can buy them though as most people use gouges and also scrapers. That is another thing to consider, the carbide tipped scrapers are pretty popular these days. Probably don’t have the mojo of a sharp chisel or gouge and won’t send long ribbons of wood through the air, but they get the job done as well. Good luck!

Top Bottom